public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peter Martins' Valentine's Gift to Darci: A Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 9:56 am 

A loving gesture:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>MARTINS MAKES KISTLER HER OWN VALENTINE DANCE</B><P>Clive Barnes, NY Post<P>WHAT do you give a wife who has everything? Red roses? Chocolates? How about the world premiere of a ballet designed specially for her?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.nypost.com/02192001/entertainment/24285.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><p>[This message has been edited by Admin (edited April 05, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Peter Martins' Valentine's Gift to Darci: A Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 2:33 pm 

After seeing some of his choreography, I think I would rather he had taken a trip to Harry Winstons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 3:14 pm 

Lucy...zingeroo! But I tend to agree, I must admit. In my opinon, Martins' choreography is hmmmm-"soso", shall I charitably say.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 5:02 pm 

I agree Lucy and Trina - I am still recovering from Calcium Night Light.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 5:09 pm 

Well, in defence of Martins, I must say I quite enjoyed his "Chairman Dances" as well as his "Stabat Matter." I even thought "Calcium Night Light" was somewhat interesting even if the lighting was a bit too much. He's not a great choreographer but he does have a few ideas. I must also say however that it may do well for ADs (or Ballet Master-in-Chief in this case) to focus on artistic direction instead of feeling like they have to choreograph.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 5:36 pm 

Actually, I liked Calcium Light Night. That was his first piece I believe, done on Heather Watts and Jock Soto, I think. His other pieces look like poor imitations of Balanchine...I'm sorry, that's just my opinion. I havent' seen that many of his, so maybe I should "zip it". It's got to be hard to have your work performed along side those masterpieces of the 20C, let's face it, right? Only really Jerome Robbins could survive (over the long haul)any comparisons, really cause his work was so diffferent from Balanchine's: theatrical (West Side Story Suite, Fancy Free)and often dramatic (The Cage, Watermill). Whereas to me, Balanchine's work was first and foremost about the music, with exceptions, of course (Prodigal Son, for example, was one of Balanchine's few "story ballets')

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 6:40 pm 

Poor imitaitons are exactly why one should direct, and not choreograph. Did he choreograph the NYCB Sleeping Beauty? I saw one piece of his that was done to silence.The name has gone out of my brain. This dance should have not been seen or heard.

Profile E-mail