CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Houston Ballet - flood aftermath....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 3:41 am 

I'm so happy! I got my replacement tickets from the Houston Ballet yesterday!!!<P>I had purchased tickets back in May to see the Houston Ballet Company perform Giselle. I've never seen Giselle and was really looking forward to it.<P>Well, that happened to the be weekend that Allison came calling to South Texas and the Wortham Center was flooded. I was very sad. They held performanced the next weekend, but I was unable to attend.<P>I contacted the ticket office to find out my options. A special performance of Giselle was to be held in August at an outdoor theatre. But Houston + August = hot/humid, so I passed. I received a letter with other performances that I could attend.<P>I chose to attend their performance of Pied Piper and Indigo. I don't know very much about these ballets, but their descriptions led me to believe that Pied Piper would be fun for my daughter (she's 8) to attend. Swan Lake was the other choice, which I had already seen as performed by the Bolshoi Ballet.<P>I'm really looking forward to this performance in Sept. Does anyone know anything about these ballets? I believe they may be new to their repetroire.<p>[This message has been edited by ahallmark (edited August 16, 2001).]

Post subject: Re: Houston Ballet - flood aftermath....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:18 am 

That's great to hear ahallmark. 'Giselle' is one of my favourites and I know one modern dance fan who talks about being 'Giselle'd out' - the state of emotional ecstasy that can be reached when watching this wonderful piece of dance art.<BR>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:15 am 

Here is what I was able to find out:<P>The Pied Piper choreographed in 1951 by Jerome Robbins to Aaron Copeland's Concerto for Clarinet and String Orchestra. Needs 5 principal couples, 15 corps women and 7 corps men.<P>Here is a link to what you can find on Google:<P><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?q=Pied+Piper+Ballet&btnG=Google+Search" TARGET=_blank><B>Google Search - Pied Piper Ballet</B></A><P><BR>Indigo:<P><A HREF="http://www.neosoft.com/~ballet/LaSylph_/lasylpde.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>Houston Ballet - Indigo</B></A><P><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?q=Indigo+Ballet&btnG=Google+Search" TARGET=_blank><B>Google Search - Indigo Ballet</B></A><P>Hope this helps.<P>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:12 am 

Hi!<BR>Actually, the Houston Ballet is doing the same version of Pied Piper as ABT did this past spring (chereographed by David Parsons). Houston Ballet and ABT co-financed/co produced the ballet, so they are sharing cost, sets and costumes.<BR>It didn't get great reviews, but I though it was a very interesting ballet. It's worth seeing for the sets and the great dancing of the principal male dancer. <BR>BTW-I went to a pre-show talk about The Pied Piper. One interesting tidbit...the sunrise you will see in the beginning of the ballet was actually taped in the desert in Arizona and then "jazzed up" with digital effects.<BR>Kate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 10:02 am 

Thank you very much Ksneds - for clarifying that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:25 pm 

Hi, Kate. Do you know who were the principal dancers on the night you went?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 3:53 am 

Thanks so much for your replies!<P>Basheva, those links really helped. I did some searches, but this just underscored the need to try different search engines. I kept getting links to the Houston Ballet website, but no one elses.<P>I think that we will really enjoy this ballet. I know that during intermission at the Nutcracker, the mice come to the lobby. I certainly hope that HB extends this tradition to The Pied Piper. I helps that kids get close to the costumes and dancers..really fanning the flames of dance for each of them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:31 pm 
The new DANCE mag issue is out for SEPT with a picture of BARBARA BEARS(as Giselle) on the cover-she was to do Giselle-and theres a comentary on the flood.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 6:06 am 

From the Houston Chronicle:<P><B>Stitches in time <BR>Staff and volunteers undo Tropical Storm Allison's damage </B><BR>By MOLLY GLENTZER <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Houston Ballet production manager Tom Boyd was not thinking of Swan Lake when he waded into the basement of the Wortham Theater Center with a video camera two days after June's catastrophic flood. It looked more like a scene from Titanic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/dance/1029223" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:30 am 

Hi!<BR>I saw Herman Cornejo as the "main" Pied Piper and Victor Barbee as the elderly Pied Piper.<P>I'm not sure it makes sense for the mice to make an intermission "visit" First of all, most of the mice are not human and the mice costumes on the humans are made to work up on stage and would probably look pecuilar up close.<BR>I'll leave you with those clues Image)<BR>Kate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:22 pm 

A report on the theater district:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Theater District Back In Business</B><P>KPRC Click2Houston.com<P>Three months ago, Houston's theater district was a soggy mess of waterlogged instruments and costumes after Tropical Storm Allison unleashed some of the worst flooding in the city's history.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/kprc/20010903/lo/898704_1.html target=_blank><B>More</B></a><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited September 03, 2001).]