public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kennedy Center Balanchine Celebration
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:17 am 
Here is Tobi Tobias' review in New York Magazine. <A HREF="http://www.nymag.com/page.cfm?page_id=3865" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nymag.com/page.cfm?page_id=3865</A> <P>It seems that New York may no longer be the best place to see the Balanchine masterpieces, especially if the Balanchine Celebration in Washington is going to be an bi-annual event.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 03, 2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 7:51 pm 

David Wiegand had a very favorable opinion of SF Ballet:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>S.F. Ballet Wows D.C. At Balanchine Festival<BR>Reviewers gush over Lacarra, Nedviguine, Tan</B><BR>If the just-concluded Balanchine Celebration at Washington, D.C.'s Kennedy Center were the Olympics, the San Francisco Ballet would be bringing home the gold.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/27/DD43849.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 1:02 am 

Lacarre is a Wow, big time. In my view, she makes as powerful an impression as any dancer performing today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 3:54 pm 

It seems to me that Balanchine's "Theme and Variations" is very seldom performed. Do you think that is correct? And yet it is such a glorious work - my personal favorite. I have a tape of it with ABT, Gelsey Kirkland and Baryshnikov.<P>The pas de deux is a glorious of wedding of movement to music. It truly fulfills Balancine's maxim of "see the music, hear the dance". And yet, so seldom performed to my knowledge. Anyone know why?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 6:44 pm 
Theme and Variations was just performed in Hong Kong by the ABT last week, and they are performing it in Taipei this week, and at City Center in late Oct.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 9:16 pm 

Well, the new Ballet San Jose just performed T&V tonight, with Maydee Pena and Stephane Dalle as the leads.

Profile E-mail