public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PNB Don Quixote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 8:35 am 

Pacific Northwest Ballet will open the 2001-02 season in September with Don Quixote in a production from American Ballet Theatre and staging by Kevin McKenzie. This will be followed by a November "Subscriber's Choice" program featuring audience favorites from seasons past. Following the November program, the Seattle Opera House will close for a full year of renovations. This year's Nutcracker will be performed in the Paramount Theatre; the balance of the season will be held in Mercer Arena, next door to the Opera House. Programming for the winter/spring season has not yet been announced.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PNB Don Quixote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 12:33 pm 

Francis..thanks for the update! I'm confused about the Don Q. It's not the Baryshinikov version?...I didnt' know Kevin McKenzie did a recent version. Have you seen it? I wonder who has the rights to the NYCB/Balanchine version of Don Q? Maybe Suzanne Farrel, since she was the original Dulcinea?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 12:33 pm 

Also, didn't know Kevin M. was a choreographer?<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited March 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 1:10 pm 

According to the press announcements (which began over a year ago when this work was originally announced for the February 2001 slot that was ultimately filled by Sleeping Beauty), this version is by Kevin McKenzie, not Baryshnikov. We were told that there was a problem regarding the sets, which were originally to have been borrowed from Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre. I'm afraid I don't have much information beyond the mailing I received yesterday that went out to all subscribers....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 1:29 pm 

Also, Trina, if you search on Kevin McKenzie, you will find a number of commentaries on his choreography and staging, most notably, his recent version of Swan Lake for ABT.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:37 pm 
The ABT toured Asia including Hong Kong last autumn with this McKenzie production of Don Q. I've seen it a number of times. Actually I think the PNB should have acquired the Kirov or Bolshoi production of Don Q which is superior, or even Balanchine's production.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited March 04, 2001).]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:38 pm 

I had the pleasure of seeing McKenzie's Don Q last spring. It is his; definitely NOT Baryshnikov's. I guess when Baryshnikov left ABT, his version went with him? Anyhow, from the performance I saw (with Nina Ananiashvili and Julio Bocca), I'd rate this one as a serviceable romp, as compared to Baryshnikov's, which was a delightfully witty three-ring circus. But that is based on one viewing of one cast of Kevin's production, and many, many viewings of myriad casts of Baryshnikov's.<P>I haven't seen Balanchine's production in many years, but I remember it being a totally different concept. As I recall, the score was not Minkus' and I remember it being much darker and more serious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:47 pm 

I have the Baryshnikov version with him and Cynthia Harvey dancing - on tape. I also have Maya Plisetskaya dancing the wonderful solo in the Village square. She is so dramatic and exciting - really marvelous.<P>And about 15 tapes of the Don Q. pas de deux with some quite fabulous dancers.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 8:01 am 

trina -<P>I doublechecked, Farrell does own the rights to Balanchine's Don Q (the music is by Nicholas Nabokov) along with Meditation and Tzigane.<P>To learn something about the state of his will from a legal standpoint, see <A HREF="http://vls.law.vill.edu/students/orgs/sports/back_issues/volume6/issue2/balanchine.html" TARGET=_blank>http://vls.law.vill.edu/students/orgs/sports/<BR>back_issues/volume6/issue2/balanchine.html</A> . This is an article a student wrote, the specific bequests are spoken about in the footnotes. The bulk was left to Tanaquil LeClercq, Karin von Aroldingen and Barbara Horgan. Specific ballets were given as momentos (Kirstein got Barocco, Betty Cage got Symphony in C, Edward Bigelow The Four Temperaments) and other ballets were given to the originators (MacBride got Tarantella and Pavane, Ashley got Balllo della Regina, etc.)<P>I am curious with LeClercq's death at the end of last year how her ballets are to be dealt with (they include Agon). The Balanchine Trust represented her interests, but she was not a member of it.<P><BR>NB: Stuart adjusted the URL to fit it on the page<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited March 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail