public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changes at SF Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 6:12 pm 

Image <BR>Julie Diana<P> Image <BR>and Guennadi Nedviguine, both promoted to principal<P><BR>SF Ballet annnounced several promotions and other changes to the dancing staff. Julie Diana and Guennadi Nedviguine have both been promoted to principal. Former apprentice and star of the movie "Center Stage" Amanda Schull is now in the Corps. Zacahry Hench, former Boston Ballet principal dancer, joins as soloist. For more, read SF Examiner's Allan Ulrich's article:<P> <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/2000/07/17/STYLE10969.dtl" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/2000/07/17/STYLE10969.dtl</A> <P><BR>Also, Bruce Sansom, recently a principal at the Royal Ballet and "considered one of the last exemplars of the Ashton school of British classicism," will join as staff associate in August. For more on this, go to the thread on Sansom's retirement:<P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000286.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000286.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Changes at SF Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 8:46 pm 

From SFB's one week in London last year, it comes as no surprise that Guennadi Nedviguine has been promoted to Principal. His powerful and elegant dancing was impressive in a range of work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 8:38 am 

SFB continues to be on the ascendant in just about every way. 68 dancers is up a bit from last year's 60, I believe. Does anyone have a handle on the total annual budget figure? $16 million? $18?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:32 pm 

I think it's about 21m! IMHO, they actually use it, rather than rehashing museum pieces.<P>Julie Diana did her first guesting ever with Maximum Dance in June 99 and danced (in an incredible manner) Nikolai Kabanaiev's "Bach de Trois" with Tina Le Blanc from SFB and Michelle Fagaiuex from Alberta Ballet and formerly of NBoC. Nikolai is Assoc. AD at Diablo in SF. We (Maximum) are bringing back Bach de Trois this season, but now we have a full compliment of our own dancers.<P>My point is, Julie held her own with Tina, which is incredibly difficult at her age. She's going to be a BIG DEAL!<P><BR>[Edited by Azlan to correct the spelling of a name]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 8:36 pm 

Yes, the figure I've seen and heard is about $18 to $21 million. Don't quote me on this but, by comparison, the SF opera budget is about 75% bigger.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 7:49 am 

One more detail question: How many weeks are guaranteed to SFB dancers?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 8:47 pm 

Last season's contract was for 40 weeks, with some principals getting an additional two weeks for the tour to Iceland, I think.

Profile E-mail