public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Peter Martins / Diablo's Harlequinade
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 5:44 pm 
Yes, Stuart, Wheeldon's emergence is thanks to NYCB. I am not actually proposing that the company should stop new works, but that there should be a better balance between creations and maintaining its prizeless Balanchine heritage. I do think that the latter has been neglected at the expense of the former.<P>By the way, how come Mark Morris hasn't been asked to create a new work for NYCB? Peter Martins' choice of choreographers is questionable at times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:54 am 

Hi!<BR>I can't remember if the version of "Harlequinade" I've seen at NYCB is two act or not. I'll check on that when I get home today and have access to my old ballet programs.<BR>I think the story has something to do with Harlequin, and an evil person (guy??) trying to keep him from his truw love Columbine(?). Very light hearted story and lots of good dancing.<BR>Balanchine was very alive in 1973, so the 1973 version would have been of his making. Ao, I can't see why it more correct or more true to Balanchine to dance the older version, rather than the 1973 version. Balanchine changed over the years, and I hardly think he would oppose to his ballets continuing to evolve. Obviously, the Balanchine style has to remain, and you can't redo the chereography. However, todays dancers are not dancers from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and in many cases the 80s...and so they aren't going to dance Balanchine in the same way. The best thing is to ensure that there is good coaching/coaches of the classics.<P>Kate<P>P.S. Glad to hear that people visiting my page! I've done a fairly large update to about 1995, and hopefully this week I can update 96-99. I welcome any additions, corrections etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:52 am 

Here is a link to the background information on Harlequinade contained on the New York City Ballet's website. This is a very easy site to use for any background information on NYCB repertoire.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.nycballet.com/about/rep_harleq.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nycballet.com/about/rep_harleq.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:18 am 

Yes, I wonder why NYCB hasn't done any Mark MOrris...one of the most celebrated and touted choreographers of our time. IN my opinion, MOrris does "music visualization"; not on the level of a Balanchine though. (Who does?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 10:36 am 

Azlan, the reviews and discussion thus far give me very little clue about Chris Stowell's piece. Would you amplify? (One reviewer could not get past taking a gratuitous poke at the singer.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:24 pm 

Francis, did you look at the <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000554.html" TARGET=_blank>Diablo Ballet Thanksgiving thread</A>?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 9:06 pm 

Francis-<BR>Chris's ballet was lovely. The singer deserved the poke.<BR>DH

Profile E-mail