public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Royal ballet - Australia Tour
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:33 pm 

Jill Sykes reviews <I>Swan Lake</I> for The Sydney Morning Herald:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Swan Lake, Royal Ballet</B><BR>June 10 2002<BR> <BR>Wonderful dancing. Technical precision. Truly beautiful costumes and sets. Tchaikovsky's score played well, if a little heartily. How could I possibly be disappointed in the opening night of the Royal Ballet's Swan Lake?<P>The very high quality of these aspects emphasised the overall emptiness of the production theatrically. Where was the sweep of drama? The heart that turns poignancy into tragedy? Genuine vitality and performing focus instead of those face-breaking smiles that disappear as soon as their wearer steps out of the spotlight?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/09/1022982796906.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:37 pm 

Review of <I>Swan Lake</I> in The Canberra Times:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Knocked out by a 'Swan' with zing</B><BR>Swan Lake - The Royal Ballet<BR>By MICHELLE POTTER<P>Swan Lake, The Royal Ballet, Capitol Theatre, Sydney, June 7-23, State Theatre, Melbourne, June 27-July 7.<P>THE ROYAL Ballet's Swan Lake is a knockout. Fresh, energetic and compelling, it simply zings along. There are several reasons why this Swan Lake is an Ashes-winning production and, yes, there have been exhortations to the Royal Ballet to bring home the Ashes from its Australian tour!First and foremost there's the dancing. It's sensational across the board from the principals to the corps de ballet. And it's more than just good technical dancing. All the Royal's dancers move with such expression in the body, especially in the upper body. They understand too that dance is a physical art not a visual one, and every movement, small or large, fills space and reaches out to engage the audience.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/review_detail.asp?class=Arts&subclass=Dance&id=1207&calclass=Entertainment" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Malcolm Tay (edited June 11, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:08 am 

Does this mean that Mr . Stretton will now keep Sir Anthonys Production of Swan Lake in the repertoire since it is such a knockout down under????

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:22 am 

Another Sylvie Guillem interview, in The Age:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Dancing queen</B><BR>By Stephanie Bunbury<BR>June 10 2002<P>Obviously, Sylvie Guillem is preceded by a towering reputation; she is more than probably the greatest ballet dancer in the world right now. "Her style knows no limits; her dancing is perfection itself,'' says The Guardian. "With Guillem, it's as if everyone else is acting and she's the original article,'' according to the Independent on Sunday. ``It's a privilege - perhaps the greatest single aesthetic revelation of my life - to have been able to (see her develop) from an Olympian technician into the ultimate expressive artist,'' says The Telegraph. And at 37, she is at the peak of her powers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/10/1022982812178.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:27 am 

Guillem on for Melbourne performances, despite cancelling for Sydney, The Age:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Melbourne performances of French prima ballerina Sylvie Guillem will go ahead, despite illness cancelling her first two Sydney performances with the Royal Ballet.<P>Royal Ballet artistic director (and former AB artistic director) Ross Stretton said yesterday from Sydney that he did not think Guillem's illness would affect the company's Melbourne season, which opens on June 27.<P>``From what we understand, everything is as normal,'' he said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Scroll halfway down the page for <A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/12/1022982859411.html" TARGET=_blank><B>more</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:02 am 

Review of RB's <I>Giselle</I> in The Sydney Morning Herald:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Reviewed by Jill Sykes<BR>June 17 2002<P>GISELLE<BR>Capitol Theatre, June 15<P>Poor Darcey Bussell. Not only was she replacing Sylvie Guillem in the title role of Giselle on the Royal Ballet's opening night for this program, but she followed a matinee starring Alina Cojocaru in one of those electrifying performances that reassure you how great ballet can be. <P>Bussell's Giselle is a beautiful example of her seamless dancing as a sweet, luminously vivacious peasant girl in Act I, and a wistful spirit in Act II. She is partnered sympathetically by the tall and technically accomplished Jonathan Cope.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/16/1023864378635.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:00 am 

Dang! <P>"Tears pouring down my cheeks..."she says.<P>Wish I could have seen that Giselle!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:30 am 

Sylvie Guillem on <I>Marguerite and Armand</I>, in The Sydney Morning Herald:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>When love, death and emotion take centre stage</B><BR>By Valerie Lawson<BR>June 20 2002<P>"On stage, I will cry," says the French femme fatale of ballet, "I will die, I will hate, I do everything there."<P>But backstage, Sylvie Guillem is far from the temperamental prima ballerina of her reputation. With a body like steel and mental discipline to match, "I only cancel my performances if I am 'alf dead."<P>Instead, the French star looked very much alive as she prepared for tonight's performance in her signature piece, Marguerite and Armand, in which she dances the role of the dying courtesan Marguerite Gautier.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/19/1023864454117.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:36 am 

<B>Just the beginning for ballet's Australian starlets</B><BR>By Chee Chee Leung<BR>June 20 2002<BR>The Age<P>Twelve-year-old Loredana Sachelaru says she is about to experience a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity".<P>The Bentleigh East student is one of only two Australian Ballet students selected to appear with The Royal Ballet in its Melbourne tour, which begins next week at the State Theatre.<P><A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/19/1023864457487.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:15 pm 

<B>Royal Ballet Triple Bill</B><BR>Reviewed by Jill Sykes<BR>June 24 2002<BR>The Sydney Morning Herald<P>ROYAL BALLET TRIPLE BILL<BR>Capitol Theatre, June 20<P>Sylvie Guillem was the star of stars in the Royal Ballet's final Sydney program, a triple bill of works by choreographers associated with Britain through birth or work they made there.<P>Guillem, partnered by Massimo Murru, appeared in Frederick Ashton's Marguerite and Armand, a concise and eloquent retelling of the Lady of the Camellias to music by Franz Liszt and designs by Cecil Beaton. <P><A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/23/1023864527272.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:30 pm 

<B>Triple Bill (Review)</B><BR>By Deborah Jones<BR>June 28, 2002<BR>The Australian <P>DARCEY Bussell, Alina Cojocaru and Sylvie Guillem all on the same bill, not to mention their partners, Jonathan Cope, Johan Kobborg and Massimo Murru – well, you'd go to watch them dance the terpsichorean version of the phone book.<P>In fact, that's a bit what it looked like as Christopher Wheeldon's disappointing Tryst unfolded, with its ranks of blank-faced dancers curving their backs or making sharp angles with hands, feet and legs. Four couples have their private moments, with no discernible raising of the temperature.<P><A HREF="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,4590721%255E16953,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:50 pm 

<B>A lake of depths and shallows</B><BR>By Hilary Crampton<BR>June 29 2002<BR>The Age<P>The Royal Ballet's Swan Lake presents a mixed bag. While there are moments of pristine exactness in technique, they are countered by an erratic performance from the corps de ballets. Occasionally the ensemble demonstrates that wonderful osmotic tension whereby all the dancers seem to move as one, but there are also times when formations are ragged, and the general business in Acts I and III proves distracting.<P>The whole production is so dominated by the visual cacophony of set and costume designs by Yolanda Sonnabend that the British understated style of performance is overwhelmed.<P><A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/28/1023864653668.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:49 am 

In The Age:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Elegant partnering shows good things come in twos</B><BR>By Vicki Fairfax<BR>July 5 2002<P>The swooningly romantic pas de deux by Marguerite and Armand were danced on Wednesday night by Sylvie Guillem and Jonathan Cope. <P>Guillem's was an entirely contemporary interpretation, as beautifully thought through and finely nuanced as you would expect from this great artist. But, in terms of passion, she was curiously undemonstrative, to the point of indifference, as though she were not at all certain of her feelings for this man.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/05/1025667050808.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:51 am 

<B>Beauty in a land of trolls and wraiths</B><BR>By Vicki Fairfax<BR>July 8 2002<BR>The Age<P>You sense this Giselle is different from the start. This is not the "season of mellow fruitfulness" we are used to seeing; the grapes that Giselle's friends have gathered are a late picking and as fat and purple as plums and the woods dark and bare in the sunless, northern winter.<P>This is the land of trolls and wraiths who taunt and murder the unwary, where pagan rites and folk tales sit easily beside Christian beliefs, like Giselle's queen of the harvest garland hanging casually over the cross that marks her grave.<P>What this production gives us is real dramatic detail.<P><A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/07/1025667087750.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:56 am 

<B>Mutiny afoot in the Royal Ballet</B>
By Valerie Lawson
August 12 2002
Sydney Morning Herald

A long tour of Australia, numerous injuries, a hectic summer season, and end-of-season blues have combined to bring trouble to England's Royal Ballet, led by the Australian Ross Stretton.

Equity members within the Royal Ballet have held a number of meetings at which they discussed passing a vote of no-confidence in Stretton, 50, citing his casting decisions and management style.

<A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/11/1028158046183.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>