public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of China 2004 season
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:09 pm 
The National Ballet of China will dance an all-Balanchine programme in Beijing on January 18, 19, 20 to celebrate the centenary of Balanchine's birth. The company will premiere Balanchine's masterpiece "The Four Temperaments". Also included in the triple bill are "Serenade" and "Theme and Variations" which are already in the company's repertory. This programme will close the month-long Beijing Dance Festival which started in early December.

<small>[ 26 December 2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

Post subject: Re: National Ballet of China 2004 season
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:19 am 

Thanks a lot Kevin for this information. On the evidence of "Raise the Red Lantern" the National Ballet of China is a very strong company with a depth of soloists and a well-honed corps de ballet. I look forward to seeing them again before too long.

Here is the link to the NBC website where some pages have English translations. The "Yesterday's Covers" page has a lot of behind the scenes images that I found interesting:

http://www.ballet.org.cn/e/e-index-index.htm

The Repertoire page has a lot of images of recent productions, but with all the text in chinese. The dot point Chinese characters on the right are links to the images:

http://www.ballet.org.cn/html/play/index.htm

<small>[ 26 December 2003, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:57 pm 

Dear Kevin, dear Stuart,

The NBC webmaster has just announced the schedule/ casting list for the Balanchine Gala at
http://www.balletalk.com/asp/wind/topic.asp?TOPIC _ID=3243&FORUM_ID=1&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=17%5C18%5C20%C8%D5%B5%C4%C4%DA%C8%DD%BA%CD%D5%F3%C8%DD%A3%A8%B1%E4%CA%FD%C9%D0%B4%E6+%BD%F6%B9%A9%B2%CE%BF%BC%A3%A9&Forum_Title=01+%B0%C5%C0%D9%B3%A9%CC%B8
(in Chinese)

So far, the program might be:

Jan.17, at Tiao Qiao Theater, Beijing
1. Serenade
Cast:
Waltz: Zhang Jian (NBC Principal Dancer)/ Yu Bo(NBC Principal Dancer)
Russia Dance: Tatiana Tkachbnko (young dancer from Kirov Ballet)
Elegy: Hou Honglan (NBC Soloist)
Dark Angel: Nilas Martins (from NYCB, who coached the NBC dancers the Four Temperaments)

2. Don Q pdd
Jin Yao (NBC soloist)/ Joel Izquierdo Carreno (cousin of Jose Carreno, from National Ballet of Cuba)

3. La Corsaire
Tatiana Tkachbnko/ Igor Zelensky

4. The Four Temperaments
Zhu Yan/ Li Jun / Zhang Yao (Principal Dancers of NBC)

5. Tchaikovsky pdd
Agnes Letestu/ Jose Martinez (from POB)

6. Theme and Variations
Zhu Yan/ Igor Zelensky ( If Igor cancels, NBC dancer Zhang Yao will be the substitution)

Jan., 18, at Tiao Qiao Theater, Beijing
1. Serenade
Zhang Jian/ Zhang Yao
Meng Ningning/ Jin Jia/ Sun Jie

2. Don Q pdd
Alina Cojocaru/ Johan Kobborg (if they cannot arrive on time, Jin Yao/ Joel Izquierdo Carreno will dance it instead)

3. La Corsaire pdd

4. The Four Temperaments
Zhu Yan/ Li Jun/ Zhang Yao

5. Tchaikovsky pdd
Agnes Letestu/ Jose Martinez

6.Theme and Variations
Jin Yao/ Li Jun

Jan., 20, at the great Hall of the People

1. Serenade
Zhang Jian/ Zhang Yao (or Yu Bo)
Tatiana Tkachbnko/ Hou Honglan/ Nilas Martins

2. Don Q pdd
Alina Cojocaru/ Johan Kobborg (from RB)

3. La Corsaire pdd

4. Tchaikovsky pdd
Julio Bocca/ Cecilia Figaredo (From ABT/Ballet Argentino)

5. Grand Pas Classique
Jin Yao/ Joel Izquierdo Carreno

6. Theme and Variations
Zhu Yan/ Igor Zelensky (or Zhang Yao)

Subjects to change.
FYI.

<small>[ 07 January 2004, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: Hu Xinxin ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:18 am 

Dear Hu Xinxin

It's always good to hear from you and very many thanks for taking the trouble to translate the programme for us. It certainly looks a winner and will provide a fascinating opportunity to compare the cream of the world ballet stars with the excellent NBC dancers.

Will you be going? If so we would love to hear your views on the event.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:08 am 

Dear Stuart, of course I will see these 3 performances, and perhaps some rehearsals as well. I will try to give you my view. But I hope Kevin will come to see these performances.I think he will be able to give you more detailed explanation. I am sorry that I owe you so much. You know I am always busy with my research work and struggling against the deadlines.
Anyway thank you so much for your interest in the Chinese ballet.See you later.

<small>[ 08 January 2004, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Hu Xinxin ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:11 am 

Ballet a la Balanchine
From China Daily

But this year the international celebration of George Balanchine's centennial year is bringing a number of dance shows to China that will add to the joys to this year's traditional holiday in Beijing, especially for the city's ballet lovers.

Joining the world in the salute to the ballet genius, the National Ballet of China will give three performances featuring Balanchine's choreography at Tianqiao Theatre over the weekend (January 17 and 18) and in the Great Hall of the People next Tuesday.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:20 am 

And more on Balanchine from the Chinese press:

Introducing the man who made dance the centre of dance
By JIE JIE for China Daily

A century ago, on January 22, 1904, George Balanchine, the foremost contemporary choreographer in the world of ballet, was born in Russia.

A major artistic figure of the 20th century, Balanchine reinvented first himself, then ballet.

He revolutionized the look of classical dance. Taking classicism as his base, he heightened, quickened, expanded, streamlined, and even inverted the fundamentals of the 400-year-old language of academic dance. This had an inestimable influence on the growth of dance in the United States.

click for more

Ballet branches out
By Li Shuo for Beijing Weekend

Who is George Balanchine?

"I bet quite a few ballet fans in China know little about him," said Zhao Ruheng, director of China National Ballet.

That's all about to change.

The closing ceremony of the first Beijing International Dance Festival will see Chinese ballet dancers together with foreign counterparts pay tribute to the late Russian-American ballet master and choreographer.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:26 pm 

Grrrrrr!!!! I can't believe I'm going out of town on the 20th! For once all these huge ballet stars come to Beijing and I can't be there to see them!
On a happier note, I watched the rehearsals for the performance on the 17th yesterday. It was pretty good, but not all of the dancers danced full-out, especially the guests. Is Nilas Martins related to Peter Martins? They certainly look alike.
Again, I can't believe I'm missing a performance by Julio Bocca, Alina Cojocaru, Agnes Letestu, and Jose Martinez! Gaaah...so very frustrated right now.
To Hu XinXin or Kevin - do you know where Wang Qimin is? I didn't see her at rehearsals, nor is she on the casting list...

<small>[ 17 January 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Fouette ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:44 am 
Yes, Nilas Martins is the son of Peter Martins. I think Wang Qimin is in China, but I've no idea why she is not cast in this gala programme. Agnes Letestu is injured and cannot appear at the last minute.

<small>[ 19 January 2004, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:07 pm 

Wang Qimin was not in Beijing because of some private seasons. Actually She went back home to see her father who was critically ill.

Program and casting on Jan.17 was:
1. Serenade

Waltz: Zhang Jian/ Yu Bo
Russia Dance: Tatiana Tkachbnko
Elegy: Hou Honglan
Dark Angel: Nilas Martins

I have always believed that NBC's Serenade is among the best in the world. Tatiana Tkachbnko was very good in her role. Nilas Martins showed the dignity.

2. Tchaikovsky pdd
Zhu Yan / Jose Martinez

As Kevin said, Agnes Letestu could not come because of the injury and Zhu Yan danced the piece instead. When POB toured in China in 1998 Jose did not come with the company. So he was eager to visit China this time and then he came alone. The Chinese dancers wanted to dance this piece with him as well. Zhu Yan managed to learn this piece within only 2 days, and danced it quite successfully with Jose. They won huge applauses and bravi in both nights.

3. The Four Temperaments
Li Jun was wonderful, as well as Sun Jie, who danced a small pdd piece.

4. La Corsaire pdd
Igor did a good job and got huge applauses and bravo.

5. Don Q pdd

They seemed to have lots of troubles in partnership during the rehearsal but managed to mend it in the actaul performance.

6.Theme and Variations
Zhu Yan/ Zhang Yao

Brilliantly performed by the company's top dancer Zhu Yan with her friends, but Zhang Yao was a bit student like.

On Jan., 18:
1. Serenade
Cast:
Waltz: Zhang Jian/ Zhang Yao
Russia Dance: Tatiana Tkachbnko
Elegy: Jin Yao
Dark Angel: Nilas Martins

2. Tchaikovsky pdd
Zhu Yan / Jose Martinez
Bravi.

3. The Four Temperaments
A nice show.

4. La Corsaire pdd
Huge applauses and bravi.

5. Don Q pdd
The RB pair Alina Cojocaru/ Johan Kobborg arrived on time but showed us their brilliant technique and lovely smile although seemed not to be in the best condition. Hope they will do better tonight.

6.Theme and Variations
Jin Yao/ Li Jun

Jin Yao was not as good as she did in the rehearsal. She is still young and not as experienced as Zhu Yan is. Hope she will do better in near future.

You can see lots of photos on NBC website, at

http://www.ballet.org.cn/index-index.htm

http://www.ballet.org.cn/html/previous-cover/detail/2003/2004-1yue/detail/2004-1-18-tianqiao-gala.htm

http://www.ballet.org.cn/html/previous-cover/detail/2003/2004-1yue/detail/2004-1-17-tianqiao-gala.htm

I think Julio Bocca will dance Tchaikovsky pdd tonight.

FYI.

BTW, tomorrow will be the Chinese New Year Eve.
Happy New Year to you all.

<small>[ 22 January 2004, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Hu Xinxin ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:38 pm 

Thanks a lot Hu-Xin - the images are special. Alina and Johan sparkle as always, but I was particularly impressed by the ensemble images from "Serenade".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:40 pm 

Thanks Stuart,
I think Madam Zhao would be happy with your nice comment.

Program and casting on Jan., 20:

1. Serenade
Zhang Jian/ Yu Bo/ Meng Ningning/ Hou Honglan/ Nilas Martins

2. Grand Pas Classique

3. La Corsaire pdd
4. Tchaikovsky pdd
Julio Bocca/ Cecilia Figaredo (from Ballet Argentino)

5.PDD from Scheheherazade

6. Don Q pdd
Alina Cojocaru/ Johan Kobborg

6. Theme and Variations
Zhu Yan/ Zhang Yao

It was a pity that Igor Zelensky did not dance any Balanchine piece this time. But he decided to dance Scheheherazade pdd, which is indirectly related to Balanchine (through Ballet Russes), in the last night, without any advance announcement to the public. They danced the piece in a great way. Tatiana Tkachbnko looked beautiful and exotic, and danced the role much better than classical pdd. It was a big surprise and best New Year present to the Chinese audience.

Tatiana Tkachbnko celebrated her 19th birthday in Beijing on Jan.20. Happy Birthday to her!

Alina Cojocaru/ Johan Kobborg went to the Great Wall on Jan.19, and they danced the piece brilliantly in the last night. I think they must have got a lot of Chinese fans this time.
Julio Bocca and Cecilia Figaredo arrived in Beijing before the last gala and danced Tchaikovsky pdd there. But unfortunately the piece seemed not to be very suitable for them (Actually Zhu Yan / Jose Martinez were much better). I think they could do better if they had chosen another piece.

You will find more photos at:
http://www.ballet.org.cn/index-index.htm

Madam Zhao looks happy and makes a beautiful pose at the party after the last gala.

FYI.

<small>[ 22 January 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Hu Xinxin ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:00 pm 
Thanks for your info., Xinxin. I hope that Tatiana Tkachenko had a memorable birthday celebration in Beijing. And I am glad to hear that Cojocaru and Kobborg had time to so some sightseeing and visit the Great Wall.

<small>[ 22 January 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:33 pm 

Hi guys, I'm curious. Does the company's season run Aug to July or Jan to Dec?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:36 pm 
Their season should run from Sept. to July.

Delphine Moussin and Karl Paquette, premiers danseurs of the Paris Opera Ballet, will guest with the National Ballet of China in late Sept. They will dance the leads in "Sylvia" choreographed by Lycette Darsonval. I found this information in the website of the National Ballet of China.

http://www.ballet.org.cn/html/play/classic/play/sylvia/sylvia-post.htm

The National Ballet of China will also show this production in Hong Kong in late November (but without the Paris guests I think) as well as their new Balanchine programme which premiered in January.