public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birmingham Royal Ballet's Cadbury Dance Fellowship
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:23 am 

CADBURY DANCE FELLOWSHIP: A NEW INITIATIVE SUPPORTS THE FUTURE OF YOUNG DANCERS

Birmingham Royal Ballet has announced the beginning of The Cadbury Dance Fellowship, a new initiative to develop some of the best emerging talent in classical ballet. It is specifically designed to help the most talented dancers make the transition between vocational ballet school and professional career.

The first strand of support will be The Robin Cadbury Studentships comprising 40 funded placements for ballet students completing their vocational training will offer opportunities to rehearse, perform and tour with Birmingham Royal Ballet.

The second strand will be The Cadbury Dance Fellowships. 12 month contracts with the Company will be offered as a prize to the two dancers who demonstrate exceptional talent and application during their studentship and final year at school.

The placements have been paid for as a result of a generous donation from the Cadbury Family to create an endowment fund that allows two strands of support to be offered to emerging professional ballet dancers.

David Bintley, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Director said: "Training is at the heart of the world of ballet and a dancer’s first taste of a professional environment is crucial. What they achieve, the lifestyles they lead, the personal regimes they develop and the decisions they make in those early years can set the tone and direction for their entire career. The Robin Cadbury Studentships are designed to ensure that emerging dance talent can cope with the physical and mental demands of a large-scale professional company. This part of our Campaign for the Future vision aims to identify, nurture and celebrate the very best talent so that we can help our art form to thrive. The Cadbury family’s generous support and passion for enabling young people to achieve their full potential is inspirational."

The first young dancers on The Robin Cadbury Studentship programme will join Birmingham Royal Ballet during the 2013 autumn tour of "The Sleeping Beauty".

Megan Ireland, an Elmhurst School for Dance upper school student and about to tour with the company said: "My time at Birmingham Royal Ballet will be very helpful for me in terms of the next step in my career. Companies always say you need professional experience to get a job, but how are you supposed to get that experience in the first place? Working on a large professional production with such a prestigious company will help me get my foot in the door and make my CV stand out."

Profile E-mail