public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Head of Bolshoi Sergey Filin attacked, acid thrown in face
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm 

A gentle reminder to keep the discussion on Filin and not on the foibles (or not) of newspaper writers. Any further off-topic comments will be removed.

Catherine - 4% of the whole body is relatively small, but burns on the facial area, neck, hands/feet and genitals are always considered serious. Location is everything - a 4% burn on the torso is still going to be serious (and likely really painful), but it doesn't involve the delicate, intricate and very visible tissues like the face.
US doctors do often say something, but only with the consent of the patient. For instance, we did know something about the condition of the former President Bush (HW) during his recent hospitalization, but in much more general terms.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 pm 

From the RT:

"Doctors say he will most likely need plastic surgery in the future as the acid has left major scars on his face and also partially burnt his hair, which will force him to wear a wig... Filin is being treated in a Moscow hospital, and will require several other surgeries in the coming days. On Tuesday the doctors will reportedly be removing deeply damaged tissues and will probably make a skin graft to cover the deep wounds.

http://rt.com/art-and-culture/news/bols ... filin-508/

The ArtsDesk has published what I presume is a translation of an interview done today. One quote seems to embody the strength he has displayed thus far:

The eyes are the main worry. Many people are saying to me, "Come on, Filin, you're still a handsome man!" But I didn't know I was supposed to be handsome - it's quite funny. Still, it's nice to hear. I've lived 42 years, I'll stay the same fellow. Even if there's a big change in how I look, I'm not frightened. The main thing for me is to continue to think and work, my family and my children. I've got three sons. I want to see them grow up, stand on their own two feet. And I'll do everything possible to set them up for life...I promise as soon as I'm through this, I will try my best to please all the audience who come to our country's greatest theatre. I can't promise that I'll return handsome, but the fact that I will return in full force, I can guarantee.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/dance/interv ... ll-be-back

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:49 am 

The ArtsDesk is simply translating the copy from the Russian news outlets -- which brings up the issue, if the UK or US papers are just translating and taking bits and pieces from already translated interviews done by other journalists, is that real journalism? If they do not have their own writer doing research and interviews? (Maybe that is off topic but it strikes me in this situation as we are seeking facts in the case but any facts obtained from the foreign media outlets are not obtained by journalists flying to Moscow and taking interviews themselves.... And I think that is the source of the errors we see in those previous articles).

Kate I first read that last quote last night from the Komsomolskaya Pravda article containing the original. Filin's humility and utter lack of vanity, and his courage, are mind boggling.
"I can't promise that I'll return handsome, but the fact that I will return in full force, I can guarantee." It stirs up so many emotions, it's hard to balance them out.

That original is here:
http://www.kp.ru/daily/26018/2940073/#undefined

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 am 

That is a remarkably unflattering photo of Stepanenko heading the Arts Desk article, compare with the pic on BBC web site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21158408

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:14 pm 

Cassandra, you wrote:
"That is a remarkably unflattering photo of Stepanenko heading the Arts Desk article."

At least you can see Stepanenko on that photo .

What about the Daily Express placing someone else's picture and claiming that this is of Sergei Filin dancing during a performance of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake"?
Who on Earth selects pictures and captions there?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/371 ... -his-sight

Can someone identify the dancer and the show?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm 

Eegads. It looks like a jester but I've never seen that costume anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 pm 

I know I've seen that unfortunate jester photo somewhere before... could have been from a tour of one of the Russian companies to the US or the UK?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 pm 

OK...after some serious searching, I found the full caption:

Reuters/Reuters - Bolshoi soloist Sergei Filin dances during a performance of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" with the State Classic Ballet Theatre of Russia at the Mediterranean Conference Centre in Valletta in this April 19, 2007 file photograph.

Based on that, I was able to confirm that the 'State Classic Ballet Theatre of Russia' did indeed perform in Malta on those dates, and that Sergei Filin was supposed to be one of those dancers. The photographer is based out of Malta, and almost all of his dance photos were taken in Malta. So it would seem that the photo is accurate, except that maybe the wrong name was attached to it in the Reuters database.

Other photos of the same performance, same photographer:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20070 ... 68287.html

A preview in a Maltese newspaper suggests that Filin was one of the Bolshoi dancers who would be appearing:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... alta.23389

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 am 

Very latest news (Fri, 25 Jan) here:
http://www.globalnews.ca/video/star+dan ... op+stories

This includes a very brief but chilling clip of the actual attack, as caught on the video surveillance camera in the parking lot. (If you blink, you miss it.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:01 pm 

Natalia, that video was posted the day after the attack, as I first viewed it on Friday the 18th. (just FYI it's not new, but the US media is VERY slow on the uptake)

Kate thanks for clarification on the photo (!!)

A search in today's (yesterday's) Russian daytime news provides this link which claims Filin will *not* require plastic surgery after all:

http://www.dp.ru/a/2013/01/26/Sergeju_Filinu_bolshe_ne_p/ However do not know how truthful or reliable that claim is.

Separately, as already reported, on Jan 25, Tsiskaridze was questioned by the authorities:
http://izvestia.ru/news/543665

And the latest rather positive report on Filin's eyesight: http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=1014242
They say Monday Jan. 28 he will have his (fourth?) eye operation. To date his temperature and energy levels are normal, he's interacting with people etc.
The video on that last link is the most interesting -- even if you don't understand Russian there are clips of Obratsova's stage rehearsals with Mikhail Lobukhin; Zakharova speaks and Stepanenko speaks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:59 am 

Catherine, the link was a news clip from Jan 25 -- this Friday. Yes, it includes elements of what was shown earlier (such as the bandaged Filin) but the news about Tsiskaridze's police interrogation shows that this is a new newscast.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:51 pm 

http://www.ntv.ru/peredacha/CT/m23400/o136656/

(Filin interview starts somewhere around the 13 minute mark)

There is video of a new interview with Filin without bandages. It's a bit difficult to see clearly, but his facial features seem relatively untouched - which would seem to confirm that his non-ocular injuries are not as serious as was thought (hence the lack of need for plastic surgery). He does have bandages around his neck, however, and his head is shaved. I've been wondering whether some of the confusion regarding '3rd degree' burns might possibly have to do with the eyes - perhaps there's a different scale for ocular burns vs. dermal burns.

Perhaps Catherine can help provide the gist of this interview - it's on a Russian talk show...

The above video is referred to in most current NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/arts/ ... l?src=dayp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 am 

Kate, I only popped by the forum just now, wasn't aware you'd posted this. I just listened to the video. The first time I watched it got cut off a few minutes in, but I tried again and heard the full interview.

A short summary is that the announcer says that Filin may not recover full sight, and that his face will always bear a stamp of the attack.

Then they interview Filin, and his eyes seem to be closed in the video. I presume that is on purpose due to the surgeries.

The announcer asked him how he was and Filin says in all honesty it's very difficult, I wake up each day and I tell myself I have arms and legs and I can manage...but want to return to how things were. He is asked something about the doctors, and responds that "we have to believe and I do believe I will get better. And the doctors are doing all they can to make that possible." Then the announcer asks is there anything he wants to say to anyone? He says yes I want to thank the employees of the Bolshoi theatre, for letting me know that I am needed and for giving me hope and support.

Announcer asks if you could speak to the person(s) who did this to you, what would you say? He says he wants them to think about the fact that he has 3 sons. He wants them know that he will return to his work, but even if the worst happened, he will continue [work and/or living] through his sons.

He says that a Priest came at his request and he spoke to the priest and forgave the people who did this to him.

There's another question I missed, but in response Filin said that he doesnt want to guess, his main focus is on himself right now and healing, and luckily the doctors are fantastic and medicine offers a lot these days etc, new organs and so forth.

I can say one thing: this is the strongest man I've ever seen, with more courage than Ive ever witnessed in any human being.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 am 

ITA with Catherine on his strength of character. Filin is a true inspiration for humanity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 am 

I am so moved by this man's courage! He will recover - he has the will
and the strength. IMO Sergei Filin is gift to us from God!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next