public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: José Martínez new director at Compañía Nacional de Danza
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:28 pm 

The Spanish born Jose Carlos Martínez, etoile danser at the Paris Opera House Ballet Company, has been announced as the new director of the Compañía Nacional de Danza of Spain in substitution of Nacho Duato who left to join the Mijailovsky, as he new his contract was not going to be renewed.

José will take care of the company by September 2011:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2010/12/1 ... 88132.html

http://www.balletymas.com/balletymas/ba ... on=noticia

and many more, but all in Spanish I'm affraid.

Very good news indeed for Spanish dance but: courage José!!! as it will be truly a challenge!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: José Martínez new director at Compañía Nacional de Danza
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:40 pm 

This is very interesting news, Carolina.

He is an extremely fine dancer and I would guess that he could do quite well at this. I wish him much success.

What style of dancing will the company be emphasising and how do you think that this will effect Angel's company? I would hope that they could both somehow work together.

It's great to see this type of dancing moving ahead in Spain.

As an aside, I remember a lady flamenco dancer from Spain, who appeared at the 6th Mariinsky Festival in 2006 the evening that Farouk Ruzimatov had a gala including his own attempt at flamenco. Her flamenco style was softer, somewhat more balletic in feeling than usual, which I really enjoyed. I always like it when dancers can take their own traditional styles and carry them into new areas, in this case a more lyrical approach.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:09 am 

Thanks Buddy!

Will try to find time to explain a bit more about in a near future but to replay your questions, I can say that regarding style, José has told that he would keep on with Duato's work as much as he can but offering also classical ballet and neoclassical pieces. His aim is to construct rather than destroy, adding and not deleting.

But he has to be able to achieve this with both the economical and human resources the company has nowadays. José Carlos Martínez is very loved and respected in Spain. He for sure deserves it as he is an extremely good professional of the dance (performer, choreographer and manager, no matter) and a very nice person to work to.

As far as Corella, he has not applied for the CND as he wants to keep his dancers and keep on with his own project. It is clear that in Spain there is room for at least two companies of this style. What it is not clear at all is if there is money enough. Corella is supported mainly by the Junta de Castilla León with some private fundings as well but he clearly needs more funds. I truly admire him and all he has been able to achieve.

Let's see how all evolves...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:56 pm 

CarolinaM wrote:

José Carlos Martínez is very loved and respected in Spain. He for sure deserves it as he is an extremely good professional of the dance (performer, choreographer and manager, no matter) and a very nice person to work to.

Thanks, Carolina.

Observing Jose from a distance at one of the Mariinsky gala parties I got this impression as well. He also seems to have an 'I can get it done 'vibe'.'

With both his and Angel's good nature, there should be a very pleasant atmosphere being established in this area of the dance scene in Spain. I feel that it will also show in a high quality of artistry.