public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Bolshoi Ballet
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 am 

Natalya Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev are now Principal Dancers. Their appointments were announced immediately following their May 3 performance of "Don Quixote," in China. Well done and congratulations to them :D !
http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/

Post subject: Re: Bolshoi Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:38 pm 

Mark Monahan talks to Ivan Vasiliev in The Telegraph. Included is a video clip of Vasiliev performing his variation in "Don Quixote."

The Telegraph

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 am 

After reading that it does seem as if the Bolshoi management intend to heavily promote Ivan Vasiliev ahead of the London season, but it's worth remembering that he isn't exactly new to London as he danced here a couple of seasons ago.

Quite worrying that the Telegraph's critic hasn't seen elevation as high as Vasiliev's as the Bolshoi's Andrei Uvarov used to have a jump equal to if not exceeding Vasiliev's. I guess Mr Monahan doesn't get to watch much ballet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:17 am 

Few inane remarks anger me more than those suggesting there is a new Nureyev: I've seen Vasiliev dance and believe me, Nureyev he ain't!

Anyway the Vasiliev bandwagon rolls on and here is an article that featured as a double page spread in the Standard last night:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle ... nureyev.do

As I mentioned in my last post Vasiliev isn't new to leading roles in London, however Anna Nikulina (Giselle), Pavel Dmitrichenko (Spartacus) and Anzhelina Vorontsova (Paquita) are all dancing leads in London for the first time. Wouldn't it be nice to hear some of their thoughts too?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:39 am 

I must say Cassandra, your well known disdain for Vasiliev is wearisome and a little out of tune with the rest of the ballet world.

Yes he has an unfortunate stature - short bulky legs etc (which nevertheless give him the power), not a perfectly proportioned body for a dancer etc - however what he does on stage is extraordinarily exciting, and he is also an incredibly good partner for one so young - and he always dances his heart out, gives absolutely everything to try to please his audience.....in other words Cassandra try to celebrate what is wonderful about him, not think only of what his physical shortcomings may be...glass half full rather than half empty.

No dancer is the perfect package - Rudolf was not either - it's impossible to have everything perfect. But Ivan brings an energy and excitement and sheer love of dancing that few dancers have - his technique is not perfect (finishing can be a little untidy) and he does not have the most beautiful line in the world either - but so much else about him is to be enjoyed.

And of course he will be used in marketing, because he is already a famous star - the others you mention are not. The season has 47,000 tickets to sell, most of them very highly priced - and for all of us that love the company it is in our interests it will be a success so that they visit again. Marketing is marketing Cassandra!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:29 am 

My disdain for Vasiliev is well known? I don't think so!

Here is what I wrote about him when he first danced in London:

Quote:
I welcome young Mr Vasiliev most warmly now that virtuoso dancers are becoming so rare and the jaw dropping moments of the past just distant memories. With the advent of this precocious teenager we can look forward to some fun.

Nothing disdainful there; perhaps you are confusing me with Luke Jennings who thought Vasiliev resembled Harpo Marx.

Anyway I stand by my comments regarding advance publicity, as although I'm looking forward to seeing Vasiliev in London once more, I'm also aware that he is only one of several exciting young talents being brought here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:45 pm 

In the Moscow Times, Raymonds Stults previews a new production of "Petrushka," on a program with Ratmansky's "Russian Seasons" and the "Grand Pas Classique from Paquita," Friday through Sunday, July 2-5, 2010 at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow.

Moscow Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:07 pm 

Raymond Stults reviews a triple bill at the Bolshoi Theatre: Balanchine's "Serenade" and Roland Petit's "Le Jeune Homme et la Mort" and "The Queen of Spades."

Moscow Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:38 am 

I look forward to seeing Vasiliev in London, have not had the chance before

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am 

According to the Bolshoi's souvenir programme, the company delves ever deeper into the modern rep. next year with works by Angelin Prelocaj, William Forsythe and Wayne McGregor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:41 pm 

In the Financial Times, Laura Cappelle reviews Alexei Ratmansky's three act ballet, "Lost Illusions" at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow.

Financial Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:22 pm 

Bolshoi Ballet: Romeo and Juliet

http://blip.tv/dance-channel-tv/the-bol ... ev-5194663

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm 

In the Moscow Times, a report on an open audition at the Bolshoi.

Moscow Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:43 pm 

The Voice of Russia reports on some of the new choreography that has recently entered the Bolshoi repertory.

Voice of Russia

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:56 pm 

Reuters reports on the Bolshoi's production of Wayne McGregor's "Chroma."

Reuters

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next