public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 Season--Highlights and Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:53 am 

If anyone has any highlights or thoughts about the 2008 Season maybe you would like to relate them here. I am putting this in the Ballet In Europe grouping, but if anyone (moderators(?)) can suggest a better topic area, then maybe we can move it there. Also the things that I would like to touch upon tend to feature European (or of European
origin) artists and performances this year.

Some Season's Highlights--2008

Gillian Murphy
Swan Lake, Mariinsky Festival, March. (Wonderful dancing with an artistically masterful and compelling portrayal of Odette).

Ballet Imperial
All the participating Mariinsky dancers, Mariinsky Festival, March. (Not in the New York City Ballet manner that I had seen a few weeks before, but so beautifully lyrical and dreamlike in its own way).

The Kingdom of the Shades, La Bayadere
Corps de ballet, led by Yana Selina, Kirov, NYC, April. (For me, this set the 'ethereal' mood around which most of the other performances, that I saw, revolved).

Veronika Part and Gillian Murphy
Swan Lake (afternoon and evening), ABT, NYC, May. (Veronika Part has such a magnificently innate beauty that is diffused throughout all her dancing and her ability to portray can be both soulful and masterful. Gillian Murphy, who I saw the same day, performed wonderfully with lyrical softness, technical excitement and excellence along with a portrayal of the highest artistic merit).

Nina Ananiashvili
Swan Lake, ABT, NYC, June. (Wonderfully charming, youthful performance along with highly mature artistry).

Dances At A Gathering, Other Dances and The Concert
NYCB, June. (Wonderfully conceived and performed. All the dancers did extremely well with the guesting Julie Kent (ABT) in Other Dances being prominent in my mind for an outstanding 'feature' performance).

Other Highlights

Viktoria Tereshkina, Alina Somova and Other Kirov Dancers-- NYC, April. (Their continued development and adding of new dimensions to their already existing outstanding qualities made for a beautiful week of performances).

Sara Mearns and Wendy Whelan--Diamonds (afternoon and evening), NYCB, June. (Both ladies danced with distinctive expression and excellence.They took their performances almost to a level of transcendent beauty).

Discoveries

Marina Rzhannikova--Swan Lake (video), Moscow Classical Ballet Co. (Marvelous, elegant, airy, statuesque dancer).

Lucia Lacarra--Mariinsky Festival, March, and video clips. (A marvelous, agile, exciting, poetically sensual dancer).

Miami City Ballet--Detroit, autumn 2007. ('Lively, highly talented and highly likable dance company', oriented to the Balanchine tradition).

Moiseyev Dance Company--Ann Arbor, winter 2007. ('Lively, highly talented and highly likable dance company', oriented towards Russian traditional dance with a very sophisticated and refined manner as well).

Some New Personal Thoughts

George Balanchine and Jerome Robbins: Their Creations--The expanding of the 'classical-refined' vocabulary and the adding of great interest and possibilities.

'Classical' or 'Refined' Dance--Its timeless and 'ethereally' beautiful essence.

["Dances At A Gathering...." comment added afterwards and some minor detail clarifications made]