home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carlos Acosta & Artists from the Ballet Nacional de Cuba
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am 

Carlos Acosta with Guest Artists from the Ballet Nacional de Cuba
Sadler’s Wells Theatre, London
Tuesday 23 October 2007

After the very successful programme that Carlos Acosta managed to produce last June for Sadler’s Wells, it was not a surprise that the venue would commission him for another show soon afterwards. On this occasion, instead of seeing other Royal Ballet dancers as his companions on the stage, Acosta decided to bring some of the most talented young Cuban dancers from the Ballet Nacional de Cuba.

In order to give it all a totally Cuban feeling, Acosta also decided to bring the works of Cuba’s most celebrated choreographer, Alberto Méndez. Unfortunately for Méndez and the dancers showcased, the way the choreographer’s works were linked and, even the choice of some of the pieces, far from celebrating Cuban ballet tradition seemed to somehow downplay it.

Méndez works are not Balanchine’s if truth must be said. There are certain choreographers’ works that do not translate well into other stages far from their own original countries. I am thinking Lifar, for example, who is still revered in Paris and somehow ignored in the UK. However, and maybe my memory is playing here, Méndez’s “Tarde en la Siesta” was a beautiful and lyrical work when the Ballet del Teatro Lirico Nacional (the Spanish Classical Ballet National Ballet Company at the time) performed it in the eighties.

For narrative reasons, I suppose, Acosta decided not to bring this work, but “Muñecos”, “El Bosque y el Río” and “Paso a Tres” and he completed the programme with “Le Corsaire” pas de deux.

The show opened with Yolanda Correa and Javier Torres having an argument over Correa’s infatuation with her books. The choreography for this section –as for all the linking narrative sections- was by Acosta himself, who really likes his MacMillan when it comes to lifts and pair work. It was a shame, though, that Correa did not have better opportunity to show off her dancing and interpretative skills, as she is a wonderful dancer that I would love to see in more weighty roles.

Her book readings provide the background for Méndez works. “Muñecos” was a pas de deux danced by Carlos Acosta himself and Annette Delgado that, sadly, lacked the depth and length needed to make it really work. Followed by exotic “El Bosque y el Río”, danced by José Losada and Verónica Corveas, the first part of the programme seemed to fall flat and, while the dancers were really trying, one could not stop feeling that the choreographic choices were letting them down.

The second part of the programme lifted the audience’s spirits through Méndez’s “Paso a Tres”, a not very subtle parody of the world of classical ballet and its prima ballerinas. As this was followed by the Corsair pas de deux, the audience finally managed to applaud the skills and charm of the dancers. Viengsay Valdés and Acosta were superb in their technical accomplishment and the evening managed to end on a high.
It is always good to see Cuban dancers on the London stages, as they somehow manage to bring some of their native country’s warmth in their dancing. If Acosta had intended to create a masterpiece of choreography I would hesitate about the show, however, as his main goal was to make people enjoy the dance, I thought it did capture that happy feeling at the end.

It was somehow a bit disappointing not to showcase the dancers and choreography that made up his show in a better light.