It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:48 pm 

Some pics in the Guardian.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:03 am 

A parallel discussion seems to have evolved concerning health problems caused by current dance practice. After some consideration, some moderators felt it would be best to split the topics, so as to not delete the well-deserved tributes to Darcy Bussell.

To discuss dancers' health issues, please join us at: http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188248#188248

Last edited by salzberg on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:05 am 

Quote:
The 20 years of Bussell's career have seen radical changes for dance in Britain, including an increase in audience, in performances and in people taking part in dance. Strictly Come Dancing, with a regular television audience of 10 million, has encouraged many to take up dancing. About five million people attend dance classes, quite apart from Saturday night clubbing. Dance audiences have grown by almost 15 per cent in the past six years; from 1995 to 2000, the audience for contemporary dance grew by almost 30 per cent. Britain now has more companies, more performances, more dancing.

I would question what those figures have to do with classical ballet and why it's necessary to mention Strictly Come Dancing, a programme about ballroom dancing in the same sentence as Darcey Bussell's name. No one would deny the explosion in popularity of contemporary dance, but I don’t see the art of ballet in a very healthy state either in the UK or internationally.

BBC's coverage of Bussell's farewell performance struck me as more show biz than balletic with the political editor of Newsnight, Martha Kearney, interviewing such noted ballet commentators as Jasper Conran and Ainsley Harriott, though I enjoyed Jonathan Cope's contributions.

So far all the ballet goers I've spoken to have been a little cynical about the hype surrounding Bussell's retirement as the consensus seems to be that she was insufficiently distinguished to have deserved the astonishing media coverage she has received over the last couple of weeks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:29 am 

Quote:
the consensus seems to be that she was insufficiently distinguished to have deserved the astonishing media coverage she has received over the last couple of weeks.

On the other hand, the only two RB female dancers I can remember having heard of on this side of the ocean -- disclaimer: this is with my brain being fogged by lack of sleep and by having lit 18 shows in the past 9 months -- are Alexandra Ansanelli, who started here with NYCB and Bussell.

Last edited by salzberg on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 am 

Speaking of media coverage, Ms. Bussell's retirement merited a mention on National Public Radio's news lead-in on Friday afternoon. I heard on my commute home.

I never saaw Ms. Bussell dance so I can't comment on her merits as an artist, but I always feel that any mention about ballet in the mainstream media is good for the art form as free publicity and as a way to pique the interest of someone who might not otherwise be at all interested in ballet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:43 am 

Alistair Macaulay reviews Bussell's final performance (though I still think that as head critic for the NY Times, he should have been in NY to review the premiere of Christopher Wheeldon's new ballet...and left Bussell to one of the other critics. Harsh, but he made a choice in moving to NY - NY Times in international, but it is first and formost a NY paper):

Quote:
Save the Last Dance for Covent Garden

By ALASTAIR MACAULAY
Published: June 12, 2007

LONDON, June 11 — On Friday night Darcey Bussell, the most internationally renowned and locally adored British ballerina since Margot Fonteyn, bade farewell to ballet and to the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden, her home for almost all of her 20-year career. Flowers showered from high boxes beside the proscenium arch until they lined the apron of the stage; scores of bouquets were brought on by current and former dancers; cameras were held aloft to record the occasion; and the whole event was televised.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/arts/ ... 2darc.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:01 am 

Macaulay seems to be emulating Clive Barnes, who also used his stint at the Times to serve as an advocate for all things British.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:36 am 

If I recall aright, and according to Lincoln Kirstein's biographer, Dudermann, Clive Barnes was appointed to the NYT through Kirstein's influence.

'Nuff said.

Profile E-mail