public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:01 pm 

Greetings

The annual listing of Royal Ballet school dancers indicates that four (British) graduates are joining Corella's company.

However, it's now clear that Gonzalo Garcia will not be joining the company as NYCB has just announced that he will join NYCB as a principal.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:33 pm 

But with a premiere a year away, one can't expect a dancer like Gonzalo to wait around to perform. I wonder if he will stay at NYCB.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 pm 

As far as I know it was announced that dancers from the Royal Ballet School were (but I count 5 here):

Daisy Brodkis
Tracy Jones
Misa Kim
Russell Ducker
Toby Malitt

The Company will be rehearsaling in a "Parador" (Governamental Hotels) in Segovia that is going to lend them some facilities there.

A preview of the Company will be touring starting next August 5 in La Granja and finishing in January in Barcelona.

Programe and cast are the following:

First Part:

Tchaikovsky (pas de deux), by George Balanchine, with Matthew Golding and Ashley Ellis,
Amaduo, Mozart, by Margarita Fernández with Carmen Corella and Herman Cornejo.
George Balanchine ¿Who cares?, George Gershwin, with Angel Corella, Kazuko Omori, Ana Calderón and Laila Dipace.

Second Part

Corsario Suite, Ricardo Drigo -Marius Petipa with Angel Corella (esclavo), Kazuko Omori (Medora), Matthew Golding (Lankeden), Carmen Corella (Gulnare); Ana Calderón, Ashley Ellis and Laila Dipace (odaliscas), George Birkazde (Pacha), Radev Kirill (Birbanto) and Ana Calderón, Ashley Ellis and Laila Dipace (jardín animado).

Students of the Joven Ballet de Cataluña Aina Vidal, Carla Antúnez, Alicia Navas, Laia Vancells, Anna Navarro and Mireia Lorente, will also participate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:08 pm 

As to Garcia - very, very few principal or soloists have had short stays at NYCB in recent years. The only one in the last 5 - 10 years who didn't stay long - that I can think of - was Jeroen Hofmans from the Royal Ballet of Flanders. The other departures from soloist ranks have all been dancers with many years at NYCB (Korbes, Orza etc.).

My guess would be that NYCB probably does not look kindly upon short stays - since union contracts tend to be in 3 year cycles, I suspect that's the kind of minimum stay they expect from someone. And, as I said in another thread, with many principal men leaving in upcoming years, they would likely be looking for long term replacements - they need bodies for the future, not for the next year.

In any case, Garcia could certainly appear with Corella's company as a guest artist when he's not dancing with NYCB. Looking at the cast list above, one assumes that Golding, Carmen Corella, Herman Cornejo and Ashley Ellis are all just guesting since they are still listed on ABT's roster.

I would assume that he is in NYCB for the long haul, with the chance to work with Wheeldon and Corella when he's not dancing with NYCB.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:02 am 

Interesting...

Carmen Corella, Ashley Ellis and Matthew Golding are no longer listed on the ABT site. However, Herman Cornejo is still listed, which is intriguing since I can't image he and Carmen (who are married) would want to be an ocean apart. Jesus Pastor is also gone from the roster - perhaps also lured back to Spain?

This could be premature as ABT has, in the past, left the website half updated before so they could just be waiting to add in new photos.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:42 am 

According to what is reported in Spain:

Quote:
Corella señaló que el trabajo en su nueva compañía le obligará a reducir la temporada de actuaciones en el American Ballet, del que es primer bailarín, y el próximo año solamente realizará con esta agrupación la temporada de actuaciones en el Metropolitan de Nueva York entre principios de mayo y finales de junio.

Terra Actualidad - EFE

http://www.fotoescena.net/foro/viewtopi ... 275f8d522b

Ángel will only be with ABT for the Met season in NY, May & June.

Maybe Hernan Cornejo will do the same :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:21 pm 

I think Corella and Cornejo are already in the program for the City Center Season, so this might not be completely accurate - or possibly 'next year' refers to 2008, meaning that he'd do the 2007 City Center, but not the following year.

City Center is only two weeks - it had been upped to three, but seems to have slipped back - and is the time when a lot of younger dancers get to shine, so it would be a time when ABT doesn't need to rest on the laurels of their stars. I think Corella did miss a week or more of a past season when he was guesting abroad, so it wouldn't be so surprising.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:48 am 

It would not surprise me in the least if the ABT website was inaccurate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:17 pm 

ksneds wrote:
I think Corella and Cornejo are already in the program for the City Center Season, so this might not be completely accurate - or possibly 'next year' refers to 2008, meaning that he'd do the 2007 City Center, but not the following year.

I'm sorry, I didn't translate this.

I understand that, yes, it refers to 2008 but also there are a lot of wrong informations about ballet in Spain :evil: so probably we will know when the ABT website is updated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:10 pm 

ÁNGEL CORELLA and friends tour in Spain:

Marbella - 9 August - Palacio de Congresos.
Mallorca - 16 August - Auditorio de Palma de Mallorca
Córdoba - 13 October - Gran teatro de Córdoba
Santander - 26 October - Palacio de Festivales
Valladolid - 9, 10, 11 November - Teatro Calderón
Lérida - 15 November - Teatro Principal
Murcia - 25 November - Auditorio de Murcia
Jerez de la Frontera - 30 November - Teatro Villamarta de Jerez
Burgos - 14 December - Teatro Principal
Barcelona - 21 to 27 January - Teatro Tivoli

PROGRAMME:

Tchaikovsky “Pas de Deux”, Choreography of George Balanchine by Matthew Golding and Ashley Ellis
Amaduo, Choreography of Margarita Fernández by Carmen Corella and Herman Cornejo.
Who cares?, Choreography of George Balanchine, by Angel Corella, Kazuko Omori, Ana Calderón y Alba Cazorla.

Second Part will be the Corsario Suite, Choreography of Marius Petipa:
Ángel Corella (Alí), Kazuko Omori (Medora), Matthew Holding (Lankedem), Carmen Corella (Gulnare), Ana Calderón, Ashley Ellis y Alba Cazorla (Odaliscas), George Birkazde (Pacha) y Kirill Radev (Birbanto).

And with the young dancers of the Joven Ballet de Cataluña Aina Vidal, Carla Antúnez, Alicia Navas, Laia Vancells, Anna Navarro y Mireia Lorente.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Mallorca Her Majesty the Queen of Spain attended the performance. Let's hope that she will do something to help the company "Ballet de España" :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:01 pm 

FYI, both Gonzalo Garcia and Angel Corella have been announced as dancing with Christoper Wheeldon's company in London this fall.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:47 am 

ksneds wrote:
As to Garcia - very, very few principal or soloists have had short stays at NYCB in recent years. The only one in the last 5 - 10 years who didn't stay long - that I can think of - was Jeroen Hofmans from the Royal Ballet of Flanders.

Robert Tewsley only stayed one year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:10 pm 

He actually stayed for more than a year, counting his guest stint and I think the departure was part caused by injury issues, but yes he is another example. Still, I don't think there are very many - principals and soloists do depart, but only after many years in the company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 am 

More news on dancers...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 8802150311

Joseph Gatti and Adairys Alemeida (sp?), a couple on and off the stage, are leaving Cincinnati Ballet to join Corella's new company. Sounds like he's got someone on his side, as far as getting work permits.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:04 pm 

LMCtech wrote:
It would not surprise me in the least if the ABT website was inaccurate.

I totally agree...i was just going to say that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next