public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jonathan Cope
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 9:17 am 

I am doing a school project on Jonathan Cope. I would really appreciate any information that anyone could give me, personal or proffesional. I'd be really grateful!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jonathan Cope
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 9:19 am 

Sorry that the subject is misspelled - I type too fast!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 1:52 pm 

Dancer, the title is now fixed. Welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 2:33 pm 

Dear Dancer<P>Here is some information I've gleaned from a quick web search. The first is from the Royal Opera Houses site, the second from a site called Favourite Dancers that came up on a Yahoo search and finally some items that were located by an online search of the catalogue of the New York Public Library. If I come across anything else you might find of interest I will post it here.<P>THE ROYAL OPERA HOUSE WEB SITE <A HREF="http://www.royaloperahouse.org/BalletCompany/BalletHomePage.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.royaloperahouse.org/BalletCompany/BalletHomePage.htm</A> <BR>Jonathan Cope<BR>Born in Devon, he later moved to Wales. He trained locally and then at the Royal Ballet School. He joined the Company in 1982 and was promoted to Principal, 1986. His repertory includes Siegfried, Prince (Cinderella, Nutcracker), Romeo, Florimund, Solor, Albrecht, Des Grieux, Poet (Illuminations, La Ronde), Apollo, Woyzeck (Different Drummer), Rudolf (Mayerling), Fox (Renard), Beliaev (A Month in the Country), Foreman (The Judas Tree), Jean de Brienne and Birthday Offering. He created the Illusionist (Sawdust and Tinsel) and roles in Different Drummer, Frankenstein, the Modern Prometheus, Midsummer, Fleeting Figures, A Broken Set of Rules, Le Baiser de la fée, Galanteries, Pursuit, ‘Still Life’ at the Penguin Café, Piano, Prince of the Pagodas, Fearful Symmetries, Dances with Death, Pavane pour une infante défunte, Cry Baby Kreisler and Tidelines. <P>FAVOURITE DANCERS <A HREF="http://www.personal.u-net.com/~toybox/dancers.htm#JonathanC" TARGET=_blank>http://www.personal.u-net.com/~toybox/dancers.htm#JonathanC</A> <BR>Jonathan Cope. A great dancer who has suffered some poor crits from time to time. He is never over the top and is always a perfect partner. His dignity in the big roles always shines through for me; others see this differently. However I rest my case on the fact that Sylvie Guillem rates him very, very, highly indeed and he is her normal partner. I also recall that Darcey Bussell cited him as a best friend in an interview. An all round good egg.<P>CATALOGUE OF THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/dCope/dcope/13,757,1600,B/exact&F=dcope+jonathan&1,33" TARGET=_blank>http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/dCope/dcope/13,757,1600,B/exact&F=dcope+jonathan&1,33</A> <P>Title: Almeida/Cope.<BR>Note: Early retirement of Maria Almeida and Jonathan Cope at the respective ages of 25 and 27.<BR>In: Dance. London, Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing. no. 16, Oct. 1990, p. 41.<P>Title: The Birmingham Royal Ballet.<BR>Note: Chiefly photographs of Brahms Handel variations by David Bintley and Jazz calendar by Frederick Ashton. Also discusses Douglas Steuart's retirement and the departure of Maria Almeida and Jonathan Cope from the company.<BR>In: About the house. London. v. 8, no. 7, Spring 1991, p. 34-38. ill.<P>Title: Come-back.<BR>Note: Jonathan Cope returns to London's Royal Ballet after a two-year absence from the theater.<BR>In: Dance and dancers. London. Aug. 1992, p.6.<P>Author: Macaulay, Alastair. <BR>Title: Junior balletomania: Some dancers of the Royal Ballet.<BR>Note: Discusses the dancing styles of Ravenna Tucker, Bryony Brind, Fiona Chadwick, Alessandra Ferri, Ashley Page, Stephen Sheriff, Bruce Sansom, and Jonathan Cope.<BR>In: The dancing times. London. July 1984, p 842-845. illus<P>Title: Alla Tkachuk.<BR>Note: Report on an exhibition of portraits by Russian-born artist Alla Tkachuk at the Ebury Galleries, London. Among the paintings are portraits of Royal Ballet principal dancers Irek Mukhamedov and Jonathan Cope.<BR>In: Dancing times. London. June 1998, p. 857. col. ports.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 8:45 am 

Thanks for all of that! I'm very grateful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:38 am 

Slow road to stardom
At 41, Jonathan Cope is dancing up a storm. He tells how strong women changed his career
By Debra Craine for The Times

TALK about a late bloomer. Jonathan Cope was into his thirties before he decided to take his career seriously. Considering that this career was in classical ballet, such procrastination should have been fatal. Yet here he is at 41 — an age when most male dancers are facing retirement — enjoying one of his best seasons.
Cope is the most important male dancer the Royal Ballet has produced in 20 years. Tall, classically good looking in a Greek-god sort of way and a beautiful mover. But for years he danced as if it was just a job, going to rehearsals, learning new roles, giving performances and picking up his pay cheque.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:32 am 

Quote:
Handing on to others
by CLIFFORD BISHOP for the Times

“I was a slow learner,” he says. “Any character can be invested with magic and depth if you are committed to it, and I was very late to realise that. Too late, almost... I got it just in time.” Since he quit dancing, Cope has been working as a coach with the Royal Ballet’s principals, and with some rising stars, to make sure they achieve the same sort of breakthrough a little faster. ...

Cope’s retirement — along with Darcey Bussell’s decision to become a guest artist — marks the end of an era, if not for British dance, then for British dancers.

published: June 11, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail