public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A PERSONAL REVIEW Maratona da Danca - Lisbon
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:02 am 

Maratona da Danca - Lisbon, 30 April 2006

The venue was sold out - which was a good sign. Nice to see a broad spectrum of the population attending. A successful evening all round.

A personal opinion: The programme was 'extreme'. There was the man with a blowfish on his head, draped in fabric (at one point stuffing a t-shirt into the mouth of the blowfish), whilst standing on a box, seranaded by two long suffering guitarists - which I might add our party discussed heatedly long into the night so he must be doing something right!

Then there was Tânia Carvalho's interesting piece. She never moved from the spot, using her arms, head and upper body to express a very emotional piece which was too intense (and too long) for my taste.

I preferred the more 'dancy pieces', loved the girl in red dress in the first piece (by Né Barros), which disappointingly descended into mayhem and lost it for me.

Daniel Cardosos' piece was excellent.

Not being biased - although we did go ESPECIALLY for this piece, the Kamusuna Ballet Company of Cesar Moniz stole the show. Good choreography, well rehearsed dancers, stunning costumes, good music and singers. A definate crowd pleaser which attracted a packed audience (you could attend individual pieces throughout the evening as there were breaks in between each piece) and a standing ovation.

After Cesar's piece I was rather disturbed to see a large part of the audience leaving, missing the last section by Olga Roriz and Rua Horta. I have to confess we did not stay either.

Espectaculo Kaminari at Colombo 4 and 5 May
Rehearsals of Cesar Moniz's piece with live music and singers were in full swing at Colombo yesterday and we spent an entertaining hour or two watching before some of our party jetted back to Heathrow.

If you are a resident of Lisbon, do yourself a favour and get down to see the performance tomorrow and Friday night at 7.30pm at Colombo.

On the subject of funding.... I was interested to see that most of the choreographers at the Maratona da danca are or have received funding from, among others the Gulbenkian Foundation based in Lisbon. Whilst I do support the opinion that all artists lucky enough to receive funds deserve it, I do raise the question - 'Should the foundation be looking to fund the artist with the most widespread appeal and audience appreciation?'

If the answer to this question is Yes, then we can surely look forward to full support for Cesar Moniz who in my opinion is the most exciting choreographer to come out of Portugal for some time.

Kamu Suna Ballet Company Actividades Artisticas (Lda), Mega Craque Clube Faia, Lisbon, Portugal

Last edited by Lisboa on Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Photos
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:13 am 

Enter in www.espetaculum.com
Eventos

The password and the user for the shows:

Maratona da Danca

User: maratona
Password: m1r2t3

Profile E-mail