public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: David Bintley
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 2:25 am 

Thank you to everyone who submitted questions to our first "Ask 10 Questions" which we put to David Bintley. The response was very good. (I'm getting a lot of questions for Christopher Bruce as well).<P>I've put the responses up on our website at <A HREF="http://www.sadlerswells.com/whats_on/spring2001/brb.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sadlerswells.com/whats_on/spring2001/brb.asp</A> <P>I will be asking David to pick a winner which I hope to publish by the end of the week.<P>Once again, many thanks for readers of criticaldance's support and we hope we can develop this into a regular feature<P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: David Bintley
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 4:47 am 

I can't believe that my question is there - it's number 6 - WOW - and a good answer he gave too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 10:39 pm 

Mine's No. 9 - a good response, but did he answer the question?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 11:36 pm 

Here is the direct link to the <A HREF="http://www.sadlerswells.com/whats_on/spring2001/dbintley.asp" TARGET=_blank><B>David Bintley Q & A</B></A>.<P>hansdekretser, this is a really neat idea. I think it was fun for those who participated. The Sadler's Wells site looks marvelous, too.<P>BTW, my question is No. 5. I wonder who asked No. 4. Salzberg? Babs?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited May 05, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 7:37 am 

I think his response to your question No 5. would rival any by Alastair Campbell!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:18 am 

<B>Moving up in the world</B><BR>David Bintley, who is bringing his royal ballet company to Scotland, tells MARY BRENNAN how he has found the steps to professional satisfaction in The Herald (Glasgow).<P><BR>When David Bintley took up the directorship of Birmingham Royal Ballet in 1995, he wanted "to open with a bang, do something new, involve the whole company, start things off with a big, new work". So he turned to a piece of music which had coursed in his imagination since he was 17, and just beginning to make a mark as a choreographer: Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.<P>Philip Prowse came on board with an array of mischievously sexy costumes which reflected Bintley's desire to update the piece, free it from cod-Breughel cassocks, wimples, and wrinkly, baggy peasants in wrinkly, baggy tunics'n'hose. The result is a sassy, modern romp with a scything edge of darkness and a canny leavening of sly humour.<P><A HREF="http://www.theherald.co.uk/arts/archive/21-5-19102-21-3-21.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:15 am 

Tchaikovsky and Dion put best feet forward
Brum's the word by Malcolm Boyden for The Times

IN THE fairytale land of the pirouette and the pas de deux, he is the undisputed king — many say the best in the world. But, sat in an office that looks more like a Victorian parlour, complete with an antique chaise longue and his grandmother’s imposing wardrobe, David Bintley CBE, artistic director and choreographer of the Birmingham Royal Ballet (BRB), has something more pressing on his mind — Aston Villa.

The Villa mug on his desk is a giveaway. The latest edition of the club’s fanzine, Heroes and Villains, sits on top of three huge red books. They contain the musical scores to Cyrano de Bergerac, his next project. He’ll get stuck into them when he’s finished reading the thoughts of Villa fan Ranting Robert. If more proof of his allegiance was needed, there is the shelf full of birthday cards.

click for more

<small>[ 10-16-2002, 11:16: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:50 am 

Midlanders of the Year recognised
From The Birmingham Post

David Bintley, Director of the Birmingham Royal Ballet, has won the culture category in the prestigious Midlander of the Year 2002 awards.

A panel of judges comprised of Carlton representatives and its media partners chose Mr Bintley as one of 13 winners who have done most to increase the prestige of the Midlands and made an outstanding contribution to all walks of life in the region.

The ceremony took place last night at the Hippodrome and will be televised tomorrow evening.

click for more

<small>[ 12 February 2003, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:43 pm 

I'm consolidating two topics - this is an interview from 6 months ago.

Interview with David Bintley in The Times.

Quote:
TEN YEARS AGO, it all went horribly wrong for David Bintley. There he was, resident choreographer of the Royal Ballet, following in the footsteps of such giants as Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan, and it just wasn’t working. He had had a run of flawed ballets, The Planets and Cyrano most famously, and it became obvious that the door was closing on his future at Covent Garden. And then it slammed shut. After eight years with the Royal Ballet, he was out.
MORE

<small>[ 20 January 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:48 am 

Quote:
Do you like chess, high society, or a comic cobbler? It's your choice
by KELLY APTER for the Scotsman

For Bintley, the crucial element in all three of the works, and for his own Hobson's Choice, is narrative clarity. A sentiment which anyone who has sat through a ballet in a state of confusion will echo. As a young dancer and choreographer, Bintley's training ground was Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet and the Royal Ballet itself, which left him steeped in tradition and in no doubt as to how a ballet should be presented.

published: November 7, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail