public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGOT FONTEYN
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 7:02 am 

Thank you to member MissJan for sending me this link:<P><B>HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRIMA BALLERINA ASSOLUTA MARGOT FONTEYN</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Where to begin? Fonteyn's name dominated British ballet for more than 40 years. One of the truly great dancers of our time, she was the most famous ballerina of the second half of the century, Ashton's muse, the perfect exemplar of the English style - and all of that even before the wonderful Indian summer of her partnership with Nureyev. For anyone who saw her, she is still the one against whom all others are measured.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/old/legend_js_margot_fonteyn.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGOT FONTEYN
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 11:21 am 

Happy Birthday indeed. My heroine for more than 50 years (well, I was very young when I started admiring her). She is still by far the greatest dancer I have ever seen. I wrote my first (and, come to think of it, only) fan letter to her when I was nine, and still have the autographed photo she sent me. It is Act 2 of Giselle.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 4:08 pm 

I wrote to her too, Helen, after seeing her dance Juliet with Nureyev when the Royal Ballet came to California in the late 1960's. And she wrote back - I have that letter still.<P>Isn't amazing how incandescent her memory is for those of us who saw her? No high kicks, no split jetés, no fantastic bravura - but all so sweetly done. <P>That line of her neck in Swan Lake, needed no athletics - it was pure art. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 4:10 pm 

A link to a thread in Miscellany:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum11/HTML/000567.html><B> A TREASURE IN AN OLD BOX</B></A>

Profile E-mail