public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anthony Dowell 'hangs up his shoes'
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 3:45 pm 

Oh, sigh, I wish the Royal were coming to New York this summer. It would have been a way for this city to honor Sir Anthony. He was a guest artist with ABT back in the late 70's (?) and I enjoyed him so much. A real gentleman, gorgeous to watch, great eyes, beautiful line, wonderful sense of humor. He danced a lot with Cynthia Harvey; it was fairly early in her career. It was a nice partnership, and he must have been impressed, because later she guested with the Royal.<P>Trina, I don't have any recent pictures of Dowell, but there was one in the Sunday New York Times, either this past weekend or the one before that, I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:07 am 

Image <P>Deborah Bull - a fine champion of dance<P><BR><B>Deborah Bull says it's sponsorship that lets the show go on</B><P>Deborah Bull puts an alternative view about the Dowell Gala:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>IT has not been a good week for the sponsors. First, the story that arts benefactor Alberto Vilar is funding the installation of seat-back screens to provide surtitles at Covent Garden triggered the usual murmurs about indebtedness and influence, with the alleged withholding of support from San Francisco Opera, following the appointment of a new chief executive, offered in evidence.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000148269364269&rtmo=0Kb2iG2q&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/01/6/2/baview02.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:25 am 

<B>One Last Dance</B><P>Royal Ballet Director Anthony Dowell Says Farewell at the Kennedy Center <BR> <BR> <BR>By Sarah Kaufman in The Washington Post <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Tough times indeed for the British Empire. One hundred years after the death of Queen Victoria, the royal line has lost its luster. The cows are sick. And an Australian (gasp!) is about to take over the venerated Royal Ballet.<P>But for the moment, there is this consolation: Anthony Dowell and Antoinette Sibley are still reading each other's minds. The legendary British ballet partners -- he was the gin to her tonic -- stand by a window in Dowell's Washington hotel room as a photographer zooms in for a portrait. They scan the distant cityscape.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21398-2001Jun4.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 9:53 am 

I wonder why the Sibley & Dowell pdd wasn't announced until the last minute. When I planned my trip to the Kennedy Center, I had my choices narrowed down to 2 dates- Thurs. or Sat.--and went with Sat. Now I'm devastated that I'm going to miss Dowell's goodbye! I'm sure Ethan Stiefel & Sarah Wildor will be great, but if I'd known Dowell was dancing, there would be no question as to which performance I'd have chosen. Now I'll miss my one and only chance to see him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:19 am 

From the Boston Globe:<P><B>Royal Ballet director dance in history<P>'Swan Lake' is final bow for Dowell in Boston</B><P>By Sarah Bayliss, Globe Correspondent, 6/13/2001<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>There's some debate about how long Sir Anthony Dowell, the outgoing director of London's Royal Ballet, has been with the company. ''I think I started as a student with the Royal Ballet when I was 10,'' says Dowell. ''But the school says it doesn't take people younger than 11.''<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/164/living/Royal_Ballet_director_dance_in_history+.shtml" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail