public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ross Stretton's resignation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:08 am 

Angela, I read in a recent interview re Contact that she and Adam Cooper would not consider returning to the RB at this stage as she finds freelancing more exciting and challenging. I think she said she wouldn't rule it out however - I'll have to look around for that article. I wish so much she would return, especially in time for the Ashton centennary. But given Jamie Tapper's recent promotion to principal, I wonder if there's any room left for her - I think the RB's a little top heavy on the female side at the moment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:58 am 
Thanx Sylvia.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:12 am 

<B>Stretton's return</B>
By Sharon Verghis
November 26 2002
Sydney Morning Herald

There will be a swan carved from dry ice, a string quartet and perhaps even a bit of added drama if rumours are true that Ross Stretton, the former artistic director of the Australian Ballet and more recently, the Royal Ballet, will attend the Sydney premiere of Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake at the Opera House on Friday.

<A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/25/1038173691662.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

Post subject: Revelations from beyond the grave.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:17 am 

Before his untimely death, Ross Stretton recorded an interview concerning his unhappy experiences as director of the Royal Ballet. Originally he asked that the interview shouldn't be made public for fifty years, but at that point he was presumably unaware that he had only a very short time to live.

Part of the contents of that interview have now been made public in Australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/arts/ballets ... e=fullpage

I would very much like to read the interview in full eventually. Note that Deborah MacMillan, Stretton's compatriot and one-time supporter, emerges as the villain of the piece.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm 

Wow, interesting piece. I remeber when this was al going down, and feeling quite bad for him. Seemed like he was in over his head and completely unsupported from the start. The Royal staff really came out as looking very ugly at the time. Maybe more so now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 am 

In the Telegraph Deborah MacMillan gives a contradictory version of events, saying on the one hand:

Quote:
Lady MacMillan denied that she had issued a 'him or me’ ultimatum, but said she had been dismayed by his dismissive attitude to her late husband’s work.

and then:

Quote:
I said to the Board, 'Next season’s schedule is safe, but from the following year while Ross is here I don’t have any faith in his ability to look after Kenneth’s work’.

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... grave.html

I would have thought that no individual should have that much power to meddle in the decisions of an artistic director or a major ballet company, but then Lady MacMillan goes on to criticise Stretton's appointment as director in the first place, when it has been widely reported that she herself was instrumental in championing his appointment in the beginning.

I think this one will run as they say.

Last edited by Cassandra on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:37 pm 

Classic "he said/she said" situation. It may be that Mr Stretton was not as easily controlled as Lady MacMillan may have thought he would be. This is pure speculation, people, please don't read anything into it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Astonishing attack on the fans by a UK critic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 am 

I shall have to choose my words carefully here.

Ismene Brown, the Telegraph's critic, has taken it upon herself to defend Deborah MacMillan by attacking on-line posters:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... ton120.xml

The comments seem aimed at another web site rather than this one, but there is a degree of irony in the fact that the "American web head" that she singles out, is actually far more knowledgeable about the art of ballet than is Ms Brown.

It seems the debate of the last few days has touched a nerve.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:25 pm 

We are discussing this further over in the Dance Issues forum here.

Profile E-mail