public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Kirov in London - Summer 2001
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:06 am 

Image <P>The Kirov's production of MacMillan's 'Manon'<P><BR>The Kirov Ballet take up residence at the Royal Opera House again this Summer from mid-June for 3 weeks and bring 7 programmes:<P>Manon<BR>Jewels<BR>Sleeping Beauty<BR>The Corsaire<BR>Swan Lake<BR>A Balanchine programme<BR>A Fokine programme<P>There are full details and nice piccies at:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.victorhochhauser.co.uk/kirovballet.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.victorhochhauser.co.uk/kirovballet.html</A> <P>There has been much controversy about the ticketing arrangements for this season organised by the Victor Hochhauser organisation. At £72 ($100) top price, I think it is a more attractive bet than the £100 top price for their Bolshoi season at the Coliseum 2 years ago. However, the fact that there will be no day seats and no seats held back for the general public mean that a lot of people will be unhappy. Unlimited priority is being given to the Friends of Covent Garden and the Friends of the Kirov.<P>For those who are not members of either of these organisations, there is another possibility. The Daily Telegraph has a specail allocation, which is now available to the public. They have Stalls Circle standing places available for many performances which give excellent or v.good sightlines for £15. And of course there is always the chance that one will be able to upgrade to a £72 seat.<P>They also have a range of seats at various prices although my impression was that the mid-prices were not so attractive. <P>The number of the Telegraph Hot-line which puts you through to a special ROH line is <P>+44 (0)870 160 7000<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Kirov in London - Summer 2001
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 10:58 am 

My best friend's daughter will be dancing with them on a few of those dates: she has been selected for the second year running to be one of the child 'extras'. She is only 11, and had great time with them last year, taking part in Sleeping Beauty. She is a JA.<BR>Lucky girl: proud mum.<P>The only negative bit was they kept on about her not being thin enough. I think this was rather irresponsible of the powers that be, and also, incidentally, totally unjustified.<P>Totally irrelevant little bits of chit chat, I know, but I just thought I'd tell you!<BR>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 11:10 am 

Not irrelevant at all Red Shoes. There can be little doubt that the authoritarianism that dominated so much life in the USSR was a force in ballet as well and little reason to think that this aspect should have changed much in the post-Communist mafia world of Yeltsin and his cronies or the retro-authoritarianism of Putin.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 12:30 pm 

I have a very fond memory of a Kirov season at the Festival Hall during the early seventies, when I was an adolescent and Barishnikov was still dancing with them, and not widely famous.<P>I saw him dance a curious solo as Vestris, which literally brought the house down. he had to repeat it, and it wasn't the end of the show, which was a bits and pieces of excerpts from various ballets.<P>I also saw Makarova during the same season which was, I think, the one during which she defected. I may be mistaken but I don't think so. I was in Freeds one morning during the run, and sitting opposite me in the 'throne' they had, was Makarova herself. :-D<P>Going back to the Kirov: I saw some of the costumes from last year's Sleeping Beauty, and thought the cupids (of whom my friend's daughter was one) looked pretty ridiculous in those golden wigs. However, I see from the programme that all the costumes were based on the original 1890 designs, which would explain a certain naffness, to my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 12:55 pm 

I booked to see the Kirov 'Sleeping Beauty' today. At just short of 4 hours I'm beginning to wonder whether a standing place is a good idea. <P>It is meant to be a recreation of the original (or rather a view of what the original might have looked like)so it would make sense that the costumes were based on the originals. The 20th C male solos have been left in, so that the lads have something to do.<P>I understand you point about naffness (tawdry kitsch for our US readers who don't have this phrase I believe). A Shakespeare production from 1890 would be laughed off the stage now. <P>One things for sure the quality of dancing will be much higher than in the original. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 1:14 pm 

Red Shoes - I have a tape of Baryshnikov dancing that Vestris solo. And it is a most interesting piece - and wonderfully done. <P> I believe he danced it at the Varna Competition when he won the gold medal.<P>The last time I saw the Mariinsky was a few years ago in Orange County, California. While the dancing was wonderful, there was a feeling of poverty among the dancers. They were staying at the hotel at which we were staying and we saw them at breakfast the next morning - and at a shopping mall later in the day.<P>There was evidence of deprivation among them that I can speak of if you wish. But I am wondering if things are any better for them?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 1:03 am 

<B>The Kirov cure</B> <P><BR>'The whirlwind conductor Valery Gergiev is soon to bring his much-feted Russian company back to Britain - but this time they aim to trounce the West at its own masterpieces says Norman Lebrecht,' in The Daily Telegraph.<P>Ah, silly me. There was i thinking it was something to with artistry and all along it's really just another football team. Mr Lebrecht, or perhaps Mr Gergiev, should know better. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>DEDICATED followers of opera and ballet have been ticking off the weeks until the end of a patchy Covent Garden season, waiting for the sparks to fly. Next month, the Kirov are back. Last summer, they sang and danced Russian masterworks with a cohesion and fervour that are rare on Western stages, reliant as they are on a fickle trickle of import-premium international stars.<P>This year, the St Petersburg 500 aim to repeat the collectivist lesson, only more daringly. The Kirov Opera will sing Verdi; the Kirov Ballet will perform, inter alia, Kenneth MacMillan's English-made Manon and George Balanchine's American Jewels. The Russians have gone into the business of carrying coals to Newcastle, intent on proving that they can not only trounce the West in its own works, but that their reserve teams are stronger than any first-night line-up from Naples to New York.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="Http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000148269364269&rtmo=QemSQxaR&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/01/5/16/btger16.html" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 6:40 am 

<B>Heroes of our culture</B> <P>by Ismene Brown in the Daily Telegraph<P><BR>Without Victor and Lilian Hochhauser, the West would never have seen Soviet Russia's greatest performers, or heard Shostakovich's Eighth Symphony. <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>NEXT month the great Kirov Ballet returns once again to Covent Garden, rather sooner than we expected after their triumph last summer, but no less welcome for all that. To the wonders of their historically authentic 1893 Sleeping Beauty and of their moving conquest of Balanchine's Jewels will be added their new claim on one of the Royal Ballet's signature works, Kenneth MacMillan's lush, romantic story of 18th-century sexual vice, Manon, with the divine Altynai Asylmuratova among the promised interpreters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We all grumble about some of the arrangements tha they usually insist on - few triple bills because they don't pay; no day seats for the Summer season that the ROH does not seem to have opposed etc. However, you have to respect them for the wealth of dance they have brought to London and the fact that they have found a way to <B>make</B> money from ballet - that's quite a trick here in Europe.<P><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000148269364269&rtmo=QemLpSOR&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/01/5/26/btball26.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A><P> <BR> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:10 am 

<B>A backstage double act that has filled a nation's concert halls</B><P>ARTS PROMOTION: The husband and wife team Victor and Lilian Hochhauser are the most prolific arts promoters of the post-war era and they have brought some of the 20th century's greatest artists to Britain. Sarah Frater meets them at their home. In the Financial Times.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Impresario is a description that both overblows and underplays. It invokes cigar-chomping magnates with grand plans and wobbly accounts, but it misses the artistic flair and commercial nous that go with the job, at least with those who practise this highly speculative business with any success. <P>It certainly misdescribes Victor and Lilian Hochhauser. The 70-something husband and wife team are the most prolific, most prestigious and probably the most profitable arts promoters of the post-War era, and their contribution to British musical life, not to mention international cultural relations, is widely acknowledged.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=010602001115" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 2:56 pm 

Red Shoes: the year of Makarova's defection was 1970. I saw the last class she did with the company - on the stage at Festival Hall. She would have been 30 at the time. It caused a bit of trouble for me, personally, because I had a visitor from New York staying with me at the time, and she was very friendly with the gentleman who assisted Makarova in her defection. The press, having observed us in conversation with this gentleman in the days prior to the defection, and assuming (falsely) that we knew where Makarova had been taken, pursued us all the way home and telephoned us several times. It was very exciting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 2:58 pm 

Basheva: what ballets were the Kirov performing in Orange Co. in the year to which you are referring? (What year was it, by the way?) Can you give us more details of your impressions of the company at that time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 3:10 pm 

Stuart: MY problem with the reconstructed "Beauty" is that although yes, the dancers ARE dancing with greater technical facility now than the dancers of 1890, the QUALITY of the dancing is another question. Also there are many moments where currently accepted technique - eg. extremely high extensions - spoils the look that the production intends to convey. For example, the longer skirts of the tutus that were used in 1890 flop over the heads of ballerinas performing 180 degree arabesques penchees (grand pdd, Act III). It looks silly. When they performed here in New York, the only dancer who did NOT do the 180 degree arabesques was Altynai Asylmuratova. And we KNOW it's not because she can't do it.<P>By the way, I, too, stood through at least most of it (I got offered a seat for the last act). It's HARD - and the Met has the advantage of having something in front of you to lean on. Break out the Epsom salts for your feet and a hot pack for your back, and enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 12:36 pm 

Thanks for the advice Karen about the hardships of the Kirov 'Sleeping Beauty'. Perhaps I'll do some stretching exercises beforehand.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 1:48 am 
There's a new section on Ballet.co devoted to Kirov dancers, written earlier this year by myself, and two other Kirov watchers NO7 and A.M.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/links/dancers_kirov.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.co.uk/links/dancers_kirov.htm</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited June 04, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:15 am 

<B>Kirov - New adventures in choreography</B><P><BR>The Kirov is keen to expand its repertoire and, for the first time, is touring with a British ballet. <BR>By Nadine Meisner in The Independent.<P><BR><A HREF="http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/dance/reviews/story.jsp?story=76793" TARGET=_blank><B>Nadine Meisner's preview</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail