public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballets de Monte Carlo - romeo et juliette
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 9:33 am 

well we went last night and here is what a lay person thought of it. Compared only to what i have seen before this was quite different style. My daughter and i had a very hard time following the story so we just watched the dancers mostly. To us it seemed that they did not go on pointe alot and they used their arms and facial expressions alot more. All in all we did enjoy it but was not our favorite. There was not an empty seat that i could see.
charlene

<small>[ 23 November 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballets de Monte Carlo - romeo et juliette
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 2:01 pm 

Hello Charlene - Perhaps you mentioned it somewhere else, and I missed it - but - where did you see this Romeo and Juliet? What company danced it and who were the dancers? Do you know who the choreographer was? There are several versions of this particular ballet. Some versions have more mime than others.<P>Since the MacMillan version (originally choreographed for Royal Ballet, London) of Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite ballets and I really interested in your opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 4:24 pm 

We saw it in ottawa ontario canada, it was by les ballets de monte-carlo by jean-christophe maillot.<BR>We haven't seen too many preformances so we don't have much to compare it to. We have seen royal winnipeg and two local pre professional companies and some on TV. The scenery was just these white walls they moved around and for the bedroom they threw a big piece of material over one wall. There was also a white ramp they walked on and raised it up for the balcony scene.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 4:38 pm 

Thanks for the information, char104. I believe you shouldn't make any excuse for not going to the ballet more. The fact that you took your daughter more than makes up for it.<P>BTW, I am moving this thread to Ballet, if no one objects, as we seem to be discussing ballet-going here instead of technique, right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 6:04 am 

Char - do you have access to a video store or a library? The library here stocks a lot of dance videos. I know there is nothing quite like a live performance. But it is better than nothing - a just a little bit.<P>You might want to get a copy of "Tales of Beatrice Potter" - I thought it was such a fun ballet. Ballet can be very humorous too. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 1:20 pm 

Yes it was pretty drab colours for costumes browns, blacks, creams, greys, <P>we will be going to another one in april by royal winnipeg we like them. <P>possibly one more professional one and perhaps one pre professional.<P>my daughter and i didn't hate this one it just was totally different and we would get the main points but we missed everything in between.<P>maybe this comes with more experience?<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail