public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kirov's Sleeping Beauty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:19 pm 

I have just read a review by Jann Parry from The Observer (Sun 17th.) Stating that the children are local recruits instead of the pupils from the Vagnova school in St Petersberg which you could tell by their floppy feet.<BR>I am the mother of one of the 'recruits' <BR>They all had to audition in a very challenging audition,and are all JA's or MA's at the Royal Ballet school and several are going to White Lodge in Sepember so the negative comments are a criticism on The Royal ballet school too. The children had two weeks of rehearsals to become, what Russian children learn from day one,they Perform for the thrill of being on stage at Covent Garden,not for money and are always worried about not being up to the exacting standards of the Russian Ballet master Sergei Vikharev,a little encoragement would 'nt hurt would it!!!! My daughter enjoyed every hot ,tiring miniute of it and the thrill of watching these amazing dancers was worth suffering the uncomfrtable wigs and tight costumes (as Russian children are slimmer than ours!)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kirov's Sleeping Beauty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:46 pm 

Hello Noggins - welcome to the board - it's a pleasure to have you join us.<P>That is a most unfortunate remark, isn't it? Surely it could have been held in abeyance since the dancers were children. <P>What a wonderful experience for your child!! She (or he!!) will remember it for the rest of her/his life. Is your child entering White Lodge in the fall? what plans does he/she have? <P>The remark will fade but the experience will not. Could you tell us about the audition - what it was like?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kirov's Sleeping Beauty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:15 pm 

The kids in the POB Bayadere were locals and they had to go thru the same rigors. I think this is standard practice.

Profile E-mail