public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Youri Vamos. --Youri Vamos? Yeah, Youri Vamos
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 4:36 pm 

Dirk, thanks for putting Youri Vamos on criticaldance.com's map. I spent 4 years dancing with Vamos, in Bonn during the 90's, and found working with the man fulfilling and frustrating at the same time. His works are extremely challenging for the whole ensemble. His choreography requires superbly trained dancers in classical ballet with the ability to move in an out of his very unusual, almost acrobatic distinctly 'Vamos' movements. Being a character in his ballets, any character, requires also being a convincing actor. <BR>As you so eloquently put it Dirk, Vamos starts with the story, the steps are created almost as a reaction to the emotions, if that makes sense. Yet, to convincingly execute Vamos' works dancers must get completely on top of the almost 'odd' choreography -- that places emphasis on speed, precision and frequent use of the hands and arms -- to be able to fully embody his complex characters as second skins.<P>Vamos, like many choreographers has a muse with whom he has worked for decades, Joyce Cuoco. Cuoco, a former child star brought up on the Balanchine technique, is Vamos' "right hand man" so to speak. It is with her that Vamos creates his almost athletic but most often poetic pas de deuxs.<P>The frustrating thing about working with Vamos is the fact that ones efforts often remain unrewarded. The choreographer allows little room for error and the German critics almost always scorn his work. <P>Nevertheless, Vamos has carved a niche for himself in Germany, starting as a choreographer in Dortmund, then moving to Bonn before taking Heinz Spoerli's position in Basel, only to return to Dusseldorf, in Germany. Dancers want to work with him and audiences want to see his works. <P>I've watched his works since I stopped dancing and I found it difficult to remain objective. It's nice, however, to hear feedback on Vamos. Thanks again for drawing our attention to him Dirk. <P>------------------<BR>[This message has been edited by Jennifer]<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 7:24 pm 

Thanks, Dirk and Jennifer, for bringing Vamos to our attention! Good job!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:56 am 

Dirk---great to hear such an insightful and detailed description. I always hunger to hear what's going on in Europe!! Trends, choreographers and the like. I have heard this name Youri Vamos...maybe in Dance Europe magazine, I think. And Joyce Cuoco, was she in Stuttgart Ballet; second banana to Marcia Haydee, I believe? Again, thanks for the review!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:36 am 

Hi Dirk, Jennifer and others,<P>Vamos did mean a lot of Dortmund. (I have a school here). A lot of students came to ballet, just because they saw his work. No doubt, people love still know and love him here in Dortmund.<P>But there is another side of his work - i think. <P>I had some people from Alvin Ailey (Julio Rivera and others)teaching and dancing for me (i think it was 1985). I had tickets for a Vamos-Perfomance. It was declared as a "Modern Piece". <P>Uuups. <P>That was really disappointing. The whole clan left after the first piece: just flexing your feet and turn your legs in doesn't make classical ballet > modern.<P>But the positiv feelings are remaining.<P><BR>

Profile E-mail