CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Swan Lake.
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 9:41 am 

Well, I am not one to argue with Arlene Croce, but I never considered Margot Fonteyn the most regal of ballerinas. She was certainly my ideal - my favorite - the vision in my head when I danced.<P>I found her intensely human. There was a sweetness in her dancing. I never found her remote - distant - in any sense.<P>Swan Lake, she said, was her favorite role.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:34 pm 

d'ici_de la -- I'm not the best person to ask for an opinion of someone dancing "The [Dying] Swan," because it's not a piece I've ever liked. Also, in the case of the Pavlova excerpt (the last third of the dance) the swan is already pretty much kaput, so I don't know what Pavlova did in her depiction of a healthy swan. Since she doesn't do any of the undulating arms that are <I>de rigueur</I> now, it seems that she's mainly portraying the emotions of the dying swan.<P>There's a tremendous difference in the look of dancing from those days and dancing now, and when I see any dramatic dancing from the very old days, it tends to look melodramatic to me. But that was the accepted style then. I guess what I'm trying to say is that watching Pavlova dancing in this piece doesn't move me, but then, no one dancing in this piece does. You'd probably get a better take on the quality of Pavlova's dancing from someone who actually likes this ballet. Maybe Basheva...?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:49 pm 

I have just pulled out my tape and watched it. It is the complete Dying Swan with Anna Pavlova dancing - no date for the performance is given.<P>Technically speaking - it is of course 'dated'. There is little turnout, the knees are front even in fifth position sur la pointe. And little turnout of the front foot when down on one knee.<P> There are undulations of the arms, but not anything like Plisetskaya's. There is no effort to disguise the elbow (as Plisetskaya did), the undulation is either above or below the elbow. There is also no real effort to get the arms back as Plisetskaya did - almost inhumanly back.<P>As for the emotive quality, Pavlova is very dramatic. As I recall - I saw Plisetskaya perform this live and I believe I have a tape of it too - she dances the swan first as 'well' and then taken ill. Whereas, in my opinion, Pavlova dances it as ill from the beginning. There is no sudden gasp of unwellness.<P>Pavlova dances it as very emotional, not as a bravura piece. By bravura I don't mean jumps and turns, etc., but as a challenge of arm undulations seeming to never stop at the elbow, almost dislocated shoulders with backwards streaming arms. Pavlova seems much more interested in the emotion. And I think that is very sympathetic - to me at least.<P>As for liking the piece as a whole, well, yes, I guess I do.<P>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:08 pm 

Basheva,do u know where to get the whole complete Black swan with Pavlova?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 5:58 am 

Dansuer, let me clarify in case I am misunderstanding you. The tape I am speaking of is not Swan Lake. It is Anna Pavlova dancing "Dying Swan", which is different entirely from Swan Lake.<P>I don't know of any film/tape or any other record ever made of Anna Pavlova dancing Swan Lake at all - either Black Swan (Odile) or White Swan (Odette). <P>Did I misunderstand you?