public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tchaikovsky Perm State Ballet Theater
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:08 am 

Hello. I have read that the Tchaikovsky Perm Ballet Theatre will be performing La Bayadere in San Jose, California in April 2003. I have searched the web for information about whether they will also be performing in southern California, but I have found nothing. I did check the web sites of the Orange County Performing Arts Center and the Music Center in L.A.
Does anyone have any information or suggestions?
Many thanks,
Glen

<small>[ 05 April 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tchaikovsky Perm State Ballet Theater
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:32 am 

Welcome to the board, GDickson, it's great to have you join us.

This company was in San Diego last April and was reviewed here:

Tchaikovsky Perm Ballet Theatre

The presenter was:

Hollywood International Management, Inc.

I just went to the site - if you click on the center picture (the word Perm is left out of the title) a short history of the company comes up as well as a listing of the repertoire. I looked for upcoming dates, but didn't see any. You could contact the presenter.

I hope this helps. I enjoyed the company very much, and you can see from the review.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:46 am 

Here is another thread with several more reviews by a number of people in case you are interested in reading it:

Perm State Ballet Comes to California

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:27 pm 

I have since received some further information:

PERM BALLET: Cerritos (So. Calif) off the freeway 91
FRI 4/4 La Bayadere
SAT 4/5 Swan Lake

I have no way of checking this information.

(Thank you, Milena!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:34 pm 

Perm Ballet will be performing "La Bayadere" and "Sleeping Beauty" at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts April 4 - 6 (Bayadere on the 4th and 6th, Beauty on the 5th). More information is available on the Center's website:

http://www.cerritoscenter.com

Hope this helps!
-art

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:23 pm 

Thanks to both of you for the very helpful information. We live in Lompoc, which is about 150 miles northwest of L.A., and we usually see ballet companies when they come to Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo. I had no idea that there was a large performing arts center in Cerritos!
Thanks again,
Glen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:53 pm 

A brief preview:

<a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/04/06/PK36882.DTL target=_blank>A 'Beauty' seen by few</a>
Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:26 pm 

A nice preview:

Quote:
An effusion of dancers from Russia
PERM BALLET THEATRE, EIFMAN BALLET, STANISLAVSKY BALLET TO PERFORM

By Anita Amirrezvani
San Jose Mercury News

Perm Ballet is best known for touring 19th-century classical ballets, especially those set to music by Tchaikovsky. More than 120 dancers and musicians from the company will perform ``The Sleeping Beauty'' Thursday through April 13 at the Flint Center in Cupertino. <a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/columnists/anita_amirrezvani/5551819.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:53 pm 

I just witnessed something in dance, and it has to do with this company. I hate to sound negative all the time but, these things drive me crazy. Perms company just came through Bakersfield and I went to see them do Swan Lake. The first act was very good and danced well by the two leads. She didnt really fit the "Odette" character, however I couldnt wait for her to come out as Odile because she had a certain fire that was nice. When the second act started to my surprise an entirely new couple came out as the leads, at first I thought to myself,"I hope no one got hurt backstage". These two were alright but didnt have what the first couple had. The third act came and guess what, another couple came with it. I could not believe my eyes. It then didnt matter to me if they were good or not. It used to mean something to a ballerina and in the dance world for someone to do that role. For it to become some tag team match just makes me sick. This is what I am talking about when I talk about quality in the dance "world" going down. Is it just because they are in a small town they think they can get away with no one knowing what it is or how it should be. Or is it the lack of respect shown from the director to the world about the great history of dance. We all talk about educating our audience,well if we cant even do the classics right, I just dont know what to say. Maybe someone can help me. I am not coming down on any type of schooling or style system in the world in this comment. Just trying to point out agian what is going on in the dance world. HELP!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:59 pm 

That is bizarre, AC. I have never heard of anything like this! Does anyone know what's up with this tag-team type casting?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:11 pm 

I know that in the old days sometimes one dancer played Odette and another played Odile. But I've never heard of Siegried being played by 2 (or more) dancers. Was this triple casting listed in the program? If so, I can only imagine that they did't do many performances, and wanted as many principals as possible to get exposure, but what a strange way to do it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:02 pm 

There was basically a list of the dancers next to each name of character. They had no "performance"cast list, I thought it was strange but oh well,I guess? What was sad was that afterward the people in the audience were talking about how good the ballerina was and so on and so on. They all thought it was the same person(s). Kinda funny though in a way I know a young guy who is an incredable choreographer and he trys the make everthing in his ballets have some meaning. I call him Tudor. But if people in an audience of a few hundred cant tell there are different people going onto the stage,(and for the record line and an obvious height difference was the give away for female and male leads)what does it matter if your hand, does or means this? As passionate as I am for this life obsession of mine I do have to laugh at it alot for these same reasons that makes me frustrated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:51 am 

Would't it be funny if that really was the cast list, and every part on stage that night had several people performing it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:37 pm 

Catherine Pawlick has done a few very interesting interviews with artists from the Perm Ballet for Critical Dance:
Quote:
An Interview with David Avdysh, Artistic Director of the Perm State Ballet
"It is an honor to be dancing here [in America], and very important to us.
by Catherine Pawlick

April 9, 2003 -- Few Americans have heard of Russia's Perm State Ballet Theatre, but this 75-year old cornerstone of regional Russian culture, now on its first North American tour, is a ballet troupe as steeped in classical tradition as either the Kirov or the Bolshoi.
MORE

Quote:
An Interview with Vitaliy Poleshchuk and Natalia Moiseeva-Poleshchuk of the Perm State Ballet
"We make a good couple on stage as well as in life."

Vitaliy Poleshchuk and Natalia Moiseeva-Poleshchuk demand a lot of each other in rehearsals. More than most dancers would feel comfortable demanding of a partner. They can get away with it but they can't escape it because they're also married.
MORE

They're appearing in Cupertino this weekend at the Flint Center .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:04 pm 

Well done Catherine. I'm seeing this company Friday night in Cupertino,CA.

Can't wait!

D

Profile E-mail