public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: San Francisco Ballet in Paris
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 8:59 pm 

Could I know other thing for the soloist. On the website They just say where they born, but not all time when, not also from where they're coming, their ballet school, not a word about the career and the roles they danced. For the principal, they gave some informations in the program but not a word for the soloist and I'll want to know if they have possibilities to became Principal as Garcia, Smith, Zahorian (even you seem to have answer at this last interrogation)<BR>

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 10:17 pm 
Cathy, will you follow the SFB to Spain, its next stop? I hope that you'll consider going to London to see the company again in August.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 7:59 am 

Garnier was till full but what I deplore, it's the "quality" of audience. It's especially tourist, or american, some french people who take a place to see dance but not the traditionnal ballet lovers. <BR>I have the use to go several times to POB performance and I see always the same persons at each time, they go so often than me. But for once time, I don't see then to discover this wonderful company. They came one time at the Opening night or not at all, and what's interesting to discover ballet and also dancer. On three performance of the first programm, you can see too many principals, soloist, you have never the same cast.<BR>It's really strange this lack of interest for stranger companies and especially SFB. When ABT or NYCB came, theater were full. <BR>Against, audience loves the 1st programm and you have too many applause and "brava". <BR>The biggest succes was Chaconne and after Night. In Prism, the second movement is very very applaused with Lacarra, Tan or Maffre, three strong personnalities. Sandpaper ballet was also very applaused except at the Opening night.<p>[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited May 15, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 3:26 pm 

Oh, Catherine, you are so demanding! Image I will see what I can do. Perhaps someone else would like to chime in...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 10:38 pm 

I kind of miss the last homepage (even though this one is good too) -- where they told us a lot of information about each dancer, which was really nice!!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 8:23 am 

A link for a SFB review in french <BR> <A HREF="http://www.imagidanse.com/francais/cadres_acceuil.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.imagidanse.com/francais/cadres_acceuil.html</A> <P>The english traduction is not on the web site.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 8:27 am 

Tomorrow must be the Opening night of Othello<BR>Cast is following<P>Othello............Yuri Possokhov<BR>Desdemona.......Yuan Yuan Tan<BR>Iago...............Parrish Maynard<BR>Emilia.............Julia Adam<BR>Cassio.............Gonzalo Garcia <BR>Bianca.............Lorena Feijoo<P>Do exist other roles in this ballet or all the other roles are for corps de ballet. Apparently, it's the first performance of Garcia in Cassio and Feijoo in Bianca.<BR>One little question, it's a co-production between ABT and SFB but which are the creators of this ballet in ABT? they don't say in the programm, they speak only about Possokhov and Tan.<p>[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited May 16, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 3:05 pm 
Here is a review in International Herald Tribune.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.iht.com/articles/19968.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.iht.com/articles/19968.htm</A> <P>It was reported that Helgi Tomasson was decorated as an officer of the French order of Arts.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited May 16, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 4:39 pm 

Cathy, I know Vanessa Zahorian was trained at the Kirov Academy in Washington, DC, but don't really know anything else. <P>------------------<BR>CygneDanois

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:04 pm 

As far as I know, Zahorian is still in her very early 20s...isn't she around 21?<BR>I remember that she won the 3rd prize at the International Ballet Competition in Nagoya, Japan (along with Michele Wiles, soloist of ABT, who also won the bronze with her) and she was also a gold medalist at the Erik Bruhn Prize in 1999. I think Gonzalo Garcia trained at the Royal Conservatory of Madrid (I think this year's Prix de Lausanne gold medalist: Jaime Castilla trained here as well, and he will be joining SFB starting this fall as an apprentice) was a gold medalist (Prix Meilleur d'Excellence) at the 1995 Prix de Lausanne at age 15!!! That is quite amazing. I don't know much about Damian Smith. I wonder where he trained...I hope my information is correct; if not, please feel free to add changes!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 9:10 pm 

Thanks you for the informations.<BR>Did you see Othello ?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 1:20 pm 

Terry, Gonzalo trained with Maria de Avila, but I don't know whether she's with the conservatory, you probably do. His gold at the Prix is amazing and I have no doubt he deserved it. And unless she's turned a year older recently, Vanessa is 21. All these amazing young dancers!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 1:22 pm 

This evening thus took place the first of the 2D programs presented by SFB in Paris. After their mixed bill programm, they presented this full length Othello evening. It's a ballet in three acts and four tables The choreography is from Lars Lubovitch, on a music of Elliot Goldenthal. Both were besides present this evening at the final curtain for the European creation of their ballet. <BR>The sets consists of panels of glass which by plays of light and projections of pictures become Cathedral interior or palace Cyprus island, Othello or Desdemone rooms. The first act consists of two tables which evoke the wedding of Othello and Desdémone and fest which is given to this occasion. The first table opens on a solo on the ground of Othello to continue with its wedding with Desdémone.<BR>This first act is more a one act of exposure which makes it possible to introduce the characters in particular Cassio, and its relations with Desdémone and which allow Iago to plot against Othello.<BR>The handkerchief serves as "conductor" throughout this ballet, offered like gift of wedding to Desdémone, it will be stolen in second act before becoming the part of cheating to the 3rd act. The second act evokes the victory of Othello to Cyprus. This table is splendid that it is by choreography or the set. In a bluish atmosphere, it evokes at the same time the storm, the victory, the waiting of Desdemona, Emilia and Cassio. Boat arrival in the wearing of Cyprus and the throw of mooring ropes is one of the strong moments of this ballet.<BR>It is in this set that Iago will make believe in the treason of Desdémone. Finally the third act is divided into two tables, the room of Othello where Iago completes to convince Othello of the cheat of his wife, and the room of Desdémone, where the two heroes will die.<BR>The rather modern music very has per moments of sonorities jazz, it evokes also Prokofiev and also Glass or Britten. The setting in scene and the decorations make besides much thought of Romeo and Juliette.<P>Choreography is a mixture skilful andcomplex of neo-classic and contemporary dance, like the solos of Iago or Othello, the pdd between<BR>Cassio and Desdémone are in the purest neo-classic vein. Lubovich keeps even a small entertainment by five excellent dancers (three girls and two boys to which is added Cassio).<BR>Choreography is rather strong and emphasizes well the softness of Desdémone, the force and the anger of Othello, the youthful charm of Cassio, the hatred of Iago and the brittleness of Emilia, marry subjected and devoted maidservant.<BR>With the second act also intervenes the character of main Bianca of Cassio and by whom the scandal arrives, in a sensual and bedazzled dance. The tables are skilfully built and of many ideas enamel the ballet, in particular in the third act, Iago and Othello in a powerful pdd stopped to make it possible Othello to imagine Desdemone in the arms of Cassio (those appear in a high set several times).<BR>Lubovich alternate pdd, pas de trois soli and together with happiness. In particular the ballet is enamelled many duets between<BR>Iago and Othello. It should be noted that it uses the points for Desdemone and Emilia, against Bianca as a girl of the people, evolves naked feet. All the pdd of the third act are wonderful, pdd between Emilia and Desdemona with the Cross, pdd between Iago and Othello or the final pdd between Othello an Desdemona.<BR>The dancers as for them are splendid, Yuri Possokhov incarne virile Othello, with the powerful dance, its despair, its hatred and its love arise marvelously well and its last pdd with Desdemone is splendid of intensity. This one is danced by Yuan Yuan Tan, with its long silhouette, it has the brittleness of the character but her pointes are solid, her splendid arabesques and it forms a splendid couple at the sides of Possokhov. She dances completely fluently. In the role of Emilia, we were likely finally to see Julia Adam (choreographer of Night and already seen in Sandpaper) in a role much more consistent. Her interpretation of Emilia is perfect, that it is as a subjected wife or rebel. Parrish Maynard camps hatable Iago with so happiness. His choreography very contemporary and is anchored much more in the ground than that of Othello. Gonzalo Garcia is a youthful Cassio with perfect technique. Lorena Feijoo as<BR>Bianca is really superb, which presence, and which peps. On Their sides, We can't forget corps de ballet which is also excellent. If Othello is perhaps not as enjoyable as ballets of the first evening, it enables us to discover another aspect of the company and<BR>its talent in interpretation as well choreographic as artistic. They are really actor dancer. The ballet is really interesting and must to be see more many times to discover all details.<BR>But It's easy to constate that really the SFB is a company of very first plan.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited May 17, 2001).]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 8:30 pm 

I've always wondered what people really thought about Lubovitch's choreography...I've never seen "Othello" but I wasn't particularly impressed by his work for ABT: "Meadows." And I know I can't judge a choreographer by just a single piece of work...so what do others think of his "Othello"?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 1:32 am 

I forget to add something. Garnier was full but the applause were a few cold for my taste. <BR>It's true that is a special ballet, in his choreography, music. But some pictures are really beautiful. And just with projection, you have the feeling to be where you must be and naturly dancer are really excellent. Some people discovered the artistic player talent of american dancers !!! <BR>For them I suppose american dancers are just able to fine dance but not to play with so strongh and natural. That's completely wrong how show these SFB performance.<P>Tonight it will be<BR>Othello........Cyril Pierre<BR>Desdemona......Lucia Lacarra<BR>Iago...........Damian Smith<BR>Emilia.........Julia Adam<BR>Cassio.........Gonzalo Garcia<BR>Bianca.........Alice LuAn Lewitzke<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited May 18, 2001).]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next