public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RB's 'Ondine'
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 3:05 am 

Sarah wildor gets the press night for 'Ondine' following her great success in the role at Sadler's Wells last year.

Judith Mackrell greatly appreciates Wildor's performance, but in less happy with the overall work.

However, Ismene Brownenjoys the ballet as well as Wildor's performance.

'Frederick Ashton's Ondine springs beguilingly to life in the alluring form of Sarah Wildor,' says Allen Robertson.However, he also feels that Jonathan Cope as Palemon runs out of steam, but to be fair it is a nondescript part at the best of times.

[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 17, 2000).]

<small>[ 08 March 2005, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RB's 'Ondine'
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:58 am 

I only saw that ballet once - I have the tape - with Fonteyn, Somes and Grant and I found it magical.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:58 am 

Making waves with a minor masterpiece - the RB's 'Ondine' reviewed by Jenny Gilbert. Also covered positively is the Rambert 'She Was Black'/'Sergeant Early's Dream' double bill. <P> <A HREF="http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Theatre/Dance/Reviews/2000-11/gilbert191100.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Theatre/Dance/Reviews<BR>/2000-11/gilbert191100.shtml</A><P>Fonteyn, Soames and Grant sounds magical indeed. Viviana Durante was also magical in the role at Sadler's Wells.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 20, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 2:54 am 

John Percival discusses various aspects of the RB's revival of 'Ondine'.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Really fine playing by the Royal Opera House orchestra is a rarity on ballet nights, but this time they delivered beautifully under Andrea Quinn's perfectly phrased direction. The colour, texture and flow of the music were all there, and we heard the tides of emotion, the subtle contrasts between land and water, love and jealousy, delight and tragedy......<P>Sarah Wildor's first-night account of the title part was wholehearted but too human. Miyako Yoshida, following her in the role, gets it more credibly. She is not the most expressive of dancers, but her clean, sharp technique and musical sensitivity let the dances speak for themselves.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> <A HREF="Http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Theatre/Dance/Reviews/2000-11/ondine221100.shtml" TARGET=_blank>Http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Theatre/Dance/Reviews/2000-11/ondine221100.shtml</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 7:42 pm 

Tamara Rojo made a superlative debut this week as Ondine, much acclaimed by a capacity audience. The spell of this unique ballet was well and truly cast by this remarkable artist. Excellent support from Inaki Urlezaga as Palemon and Elizabeth Mcgorian as Berta.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 8:12 pm 

Michael, welcome to criticaldance and many thanks for your comments on 'Ondine'.<P>I believe that Tamara Rojo is set to take the ROH by storm. When I saw her for the first time in the lead in ENB's revival of 'The Rite of Spring' I was dazzled by the intensity of her performance. As she tackles the major RB roles one by one, she is making a big impact on critics and audiences alike. Good to hear that she made such an impact on you and others as 'Ondine'. Did you see Durante in the same role?<P>Following your comments Michael, I have checked the schedule and marked in my diary that Rojo repeats the performance in the 9th December matinee.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 25, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 1:00 am 

It is 34 years since Fonteyn danced the water nymph Ondine, but Sarah Wildor is bringing her captivatingly back to life says David Dougill. <P>Also covered is the second week of Rambert's Sadler's Wells season.<P> <A HREF="http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/00/11/26/sticuldnc02002.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/00/11/26/sticuldnc02002.html</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 11:25 pm 

Clement Crisp reviews Tamara Rojo in Ondine. It's one of the most positive RB reviews I have seen him pen for a long time.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Rojo's sprite is young in the first two acts - the youngest interpretation I have seen - capricious, moving like water itself, eddying, sparkling, suddenly caught in swirls of feeling. Emotion is everywhere clear, lovely, true. (She brings out something I have never noticed in the ballet before; Ashton's brief tributes to Anna Pavlova in certain poses). Her dancing is ravishing, swift, pure. This Ondine is more dramatically "open" than Fonteyn, more child-like, more impulsive, even wild. But it is a reading entirely Ashtonian, and - to my dazzled eyes - perfect.....The entire staging, and the orchestral playing under Andrea Quinn, seemed caught up in Rojo's superlative performance. An evening to remember with gratitude.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR><A HREF="http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3KZOWQ2GC&live=true&tagid=YYY9BSINKTM&useoverridetemplate=IXLZHNNP94C" TARGET=_blank><B>now read on</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 11:24 pm 

'Rapture of the deep', Debra Craine hails a fine new Ondine at Covent Garden, in the shape of Tamara Rojo: <P> <A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,49797,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,49797,00.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2000 8:51 pm 

This week Rojo was one of the side girls in Symphonic Variations, with Cojocaru centre and Wildor the other. What a combination - three Juliets? three Giselles? It certainly helped the ballet to have three fully cast ballerinas, just as at the premiere. They danced wonderfully together, and Cojocaro retained the poise she showed earlier in the year most of the time. Interestingly Wildor was slightly off position at times,and her hair started to come down towards the end. Despite her best efforts (I think), Rojos star quality, and tremendous face in repose, just sort of shone through, and unnerved the others just a little. She is such a star.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2000 8:56 pm 

Sorry Stuart - I forgot to answer you about Durante. I did see her last year, and she was delightful and capricious, but a little generalised in emotion. I am also a great fan of Wildor, since her first performances as the one of the little girl in Dowells Swan Lake when it was new, and she was indeed an exquisite Ondine. But Rojo really stunned me, far exceeding anyone since the 88 revival. I hope we will have another revival under Stretton while these girls are in the company. I would love to see Rojo in Mayerling, preferably with Adam Cooper back as a guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2000 11:47 pm 

I fully understand your views on Rojo, which I share. She is really setting the RB alight at the moment. From what I understand she is much appreciated in the Company, one dancer said to me, 'She is so special.'<P>Her Ondine was a delight and I ejoyed her performances in 'Shadowplay' and 'Symphonic Variations' although I beleive that she will be even better in the latter, when she has had more experience of the role.<P>For me it is the expressiveness of her dancing combined with technique so good that I take it for granted and watch her interpretive skills and the sheer beauty of her movement.<P>I also enjoyed the divertissement in Act III of 'Ondine' and thought that Alina Cojacaru and Mara Galeazzi looked really good together in Ashton's very tricky choreography. <P>The Mixed Bill was an excellent programme and Sarah Wildor brought MacMillan's choreography in 'Gloria' to life in her expressive performance. Sylvie Guillem in 'Lilac Garden' continued to show what a fine actress she has become and Darcey Bussell danced beautifully in 'Monotones II'.<P>All in all, the Royal are doing very well at the moment, but with the girls the stars in my view.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 3:19 am 

Must admit to have really enjoyed Rojo in Ondine as well, though still not entirely sure about the ballet as a whole! She is a great addition to the company!<P>The recent mixed bill has been great and I agree with you Stuart that the girls have shown their star quality! Sarah's hair managed to behave on Friday night.<p>[This message has been edited by Shirley (edited December 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 3:36 am 

Following the revival of 'Ondine', I've been re-reading the passages about the ballet in Julie Kavanagh's 'Secret Muses'. It's interesting that Ashton had much involvement in the composition of Henze's score - Fred was quite pitiless. When I played new stuff I'd written, he'd stab at me with a finger and say, 'Give me a tune.' - Although no longer seeming so modern, it is still not much loved. However, my view is that it provides an excellent soundscape for this sea fantasy ballet.<P>Kavanagh opines, 'Apart from Ondine, [Tirrenio, Lord of the Mediterranean] is the ballet's only successful role; the other characters barely sketched at all.....The result, in spite of its narrative flaws, is 'full of the true poetic spirit', a daring, evasive work haunted by the presence of water.' Which is fair enough comment. It doesn't do everything well, but some parts go very well indeed, which is enough to make it worthwhile. The narrative ain't as creaky as 'Le Corsaire'!<P>She goes on to tell us of the 1988 revival, 'The ballet is no longer popular with audiences...' With Rojo, Wildor and Yoshida currently in the Fonteyn role of Ondine, it has been well recieved and I think we will see it more frequently in the future.<P>It's worth remembering that this new revival was staged first in 1999 in the new Sadler's Wells, which provided great opportunity for the company to experiment. I wish that some short seasons there could still be fitted in. The 1500 vs 2200 theatre and a more adventurous audience made for some fine work, particularly in the second season there. However, the disappointment of the revival there of Twyla Tharp's 'Mr Worldly Wise' means that I suspect that we won't be seeing much of it in the next few years.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 6:11 am 

Hello Shirley - welcome to the board !!<P>You are all intriguing me with Tamara Rojo. I looked up her web page, but it is very difficult (the coloring) to read. But I did get the fact that she studied with Victor Ullate, that is an interesting web site too (also a bit difficult to read because of the coloration - at least on one side). There are a couple of very good pictures, albeit a bit dark. <P>I can only hope that the Royal Ballet tours soon and I get to see some of these people.

Profile E-mail