public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I will see Coppélia this evening... could you tell me mo
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 1:29 am 

I have not seen any ballet from our town's company (Bordeaux Opéra Ballet) since Charles Jude became its dance director. It is said he has "renewed" it quite much in a few years... I hope I will see something beautiful tonight (anyway, I will ! Ballet is nearly always beautiful in my uneducated eye Image).<BR>But I know nearly nothing about Coppélia, could you give me some bits of info about it ? Like when or where it was created, what the story is... things like that. I am sure I will enjoy it even more this way...<BR>Thanks in advance !

Post subject: Re: I will see Coppélia this evening... could you tell me mo
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 2:46 am 

Coppelia of Jude is a few different of the traditionnal one. I never saw it. But I believe Jude transferred it in our days.<BR>Swanilda became Swanie, Frantz, became Frontzie. <BR>Theorically the story of Coppelia is the story of a couple of young who are in love but Frantz look always a window where he saw a mysterious young girl. Swanilda is jealous of this girl. this girl lived with a old man named Coppelius. One day, he lets fall his key and Swanilda and her friends could enter in his home. After to be afraid by the set, they discover that the girl is a doll not alive. Swanilda and her friends are surprised by Coppelius'return. They leave the home except Swanilda who take the place of the doll. Frantz enters himself too, and is drug by Coppelius who wants to stole his soul to make live her doll. As Swanilda took the place of the doll, he believe her doll come alive. After several dance, she broke all in his house, wake up Frantz and learn to him who was the other girl. She forgive to him and they could be married.<BR>Sometimes they gave only the two act version which finished in Coppelius house, and sometimes they gave the third act which is the wedding of the two heroes. in the traditionnal version, it's the "Fête de la cloche".<BR>I hope you will enjoy it. Delibes score is beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 4:56 am 

AlinWond - there is a very good description of the story of the ballet on Google - here is the link:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.tamu.edu/ccballet/coppelia.html" TARGET=_blank><B>COPPELIA</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 02, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 12:47 pm 

Thank you very much for your answers...<BR>This was a very entertaining night for me, I like the way Jude adapted the story - it is very similar to the way Nureev adapted <I>Cinderella</I>. It takes place in NYC (the opening is a view of the buildings... from the sky ! and there is someone "standing" on his balcony looking "down" at the town... cleverly done). It reminded me several times of some musicals - the boy and his friends are sailors (and the "burgmeister" became the captain), so when he appeared on the stage I thought about <I>New York, New York</I> ; then there was the opposition between the 6 sailors and the 6 girls dressed in pretty pale pink dresses, and 6 other couples dressed in a much more colourful way, dancing in a "yankee-folk-balroom" style... very "Jets and Sharks".<BR>The dancers were not of the technical level of the POB of course, but they did a very good job. The boy was quite anxious I think - he missed his opening variation, losing his balance on the landing of his last tour en l'air. But he did his last one - a serie of grand jetés - very well and received big cheers for that, he was so visibly proud of himself, it was really cute !<BR>In a word, it was light, with fun, energy and humor, and lovely dancing. I especially enjoyed the ensemble parts, because when watching the whole corps de ballet I was not worrying for the soloist and holding my breath fearing he/she would miss a pirouette or a jump ! And the set, costums, props and lights were all very well done, often original and cleverly imagined. One funny moment was at the very end, when the captain, turning his back to the public, pretends he is making a photo of the couple and of the whole wedding - and the 6 barmaid appear, three on his right side, three on his left side, and show their trays to the public... and there is a white letter painted on each tray, forming the words :<BR>T-H-E E-N-D !

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 1:53 pm 

AlinWond - thank you for a wonderful description.....and I am glad you enjoyed the performance.<P>This sounds like an interesting conception of Coppelia.

Profile E-mail