public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Alina Cojocaru
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:56 pm 

Well Basheva, there are two schools who are not overjoyed aout Alina's promotion:<P>- those who think it is too soon<P>- those who want to see established favourites promoted first. Belinda Hatley has a lot of supporters and Zenaida Yanowsky has also been mentioned. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 23, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 2:41 am 
I don't think it's too soon. Kirov star Zakharova (and others too) was also promoted to a principal when she was still 19 or even younger. Alessandra Ferri was also promoted to a Royal Ballet principal by MacMillan when she was only 19 in the early 1980s. I think Balanchine's ballerinas were promoted in their teens too, e.g. Darci Kistler.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited April 24, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 9:52 am 

I think it's not too soon if the dancer is bright. Guillem was nominated at the same age, and she never danced other roles than Odette/Odile. It was her first big part.<P>Considering the fact that ballet lovers are never happy. <BR>When etoile or principal are nominated young, we said it's too young, many other dancer must passed before (as Averty when Guillem was nominated, or Moussin now for POB or Hatley or Yanowky for RB), they don't make their proves.<BR>When they are nominated "old" we think "it's too late", some younger dancer must passed now, they never will be promote.<BR>You know what, We are never happy (how will say Droopy !!!!)<p>[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited April 24, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:11 am 

Thank you Stuart - for your answer.<P>Aside from people wanting one or another dancer.....I think the success of such a move really depends on the dancer. For some of them it is a thing they will artistically feast upon and grow.<P>For others, it may mean an early burn-out. Depends upon the person, in my opinion.<P>What disturbs me more, however, is when a young dancer is compared to a glorious icon - such as Fonteyn. While it is on one hand certainly a compliment - it is also a burden. This young dancer doesn't need to measure up to a legend. She will make her own legends, with her own views and artistry.<P>I wish her all the good fortune in the world. What a wonderful moment for her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:16 pm 

Quote:
In Fonteyn's Footsteps, Without Fear

By JANN PARRY, in the NY Times

LONDON
TWO years ago, when the Royal Ballet needed a last-minute replacement to dance the lead in Frederick Ashton's "Symphonic Variations," Alina Cojocaru leaped at an opportunity that a more experienced dancer might have had second thoughts about. <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/arts/dance/04PARR.html target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:52 am 

A very nice piece written by Alina Cojocaru in the "Time and Place" series for The Sunday Times. Her less then priviliged upbringing helps to explain her friendly and helpful attitude. Alina waves to the doormen at the ROH and I saw her give up her seat for a standing place when a woman was having some difficulty.

A young dancer having remarkable success could face jealousy, but my impression is that the other RB dancers treat her like a jewel to be protected. Once in the rehearsal for a difficult modern ballet work that was leaving her confused, a couple of older, but not so senior dancers put their arm round her shoulder and seemed to telling her that she was doing fine and not to worry.

Time & Place: From ballerina to navvy
In the Sunday Times, Royal Ballet star Alina Cocojaru’s hands bled as she helped her parents build their dream home in post-communist Romania.

My family owned a house in Bucharest, which was knocked down in 1985 during Ceausescu’s regime to make way for an apartment block to house the army. I was only four but I remember the day very well because my dad loved that home and was very sad when it was demolished.

We were rehoused in a second-floor flat in sector five, known as Rahova. I loved the area because the park is nearby and my parents’ market stall was just around the corner. My grandad originally ran the stall, which sold everything from eggs and flour to fruit and vegetables.

click fpr more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:38 am 

Quote:
My week: Alina Cojocaru, ballerina
in the Daily Telegraph

Tuesday

Today was my last show of Nutcracker. After class, we had the first rehearsal for Ballet Imperial, which we're doing next month. Afterwards, I got a sandwich and slept in my dressing room. I love that - it feels as if you wake up and start another day. The performance was a very good one, and you don't see me saying that often. ...

published: January 21, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: !!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:31 pm 

Oh I like very very much this ballerina, she is beautiful on pictures!!! I have some pictures of she ,that I found on french magazine of dance: "danse light magasine" do you know it?

Post subject: Leaping beauty
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:40 pm 

Quote:
Alina Cojocaru: Leaping beauty
in the Independent
published: January 22, 2007

Ahead of the BBC's Tchaikovsky season, Royal Ballet principal Alina Cojocaru explores the demands and delights of dancing - and living - to the great Russian's classic works
more...

Profile E-mail