public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alina Cojocaru
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2000 2:21 am 

'Following in Fonteyn's footsteps' Jeffery Taylor interviews the remarkable Alina Cojacaru of the RB. Taylor says that she was promoted to First Artist, but in fact she was made up to the heady heights of First Soloist, one below Principle. Bets on how long before she reaches the ultimate goal? I'll say 2 years. On Tuesday she danced the lead in 'Symphonic Variations' with Principles as the side girls.<P> <A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/review.html?in_review_id=344504&in_review_text_id=288173" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/review.html<BR>?in_review_id=344504&in_review_text_id=288173</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 16, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Alina Cojocaru
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 4:06 am 

An extract from an article in The Times about those to watch in 2001:<P>ALINA COJOCARU Dancer Age: 19 <P>A NATIVE of Romania, this young Royal Ballet dancer made waves at Covent Garden after stepping in to cover for a sick colleague in Ashton’s Symphonic Variations, dancing Fonteyn’s role. The critics were in ecstasy; promotion to first artist rapidly followed. She knocked us dead as Clara in Nutcracker this Christmas; hopes are high for her Giselle in April. An exciting, free-spirited dancer with a fabulous face and a passionate commitment to the stage.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 12:24 pm 
I enjoyed Alina Cojocaru's Clara in the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker earlier this week, and her duet with Ivan Putrov as the Nutcracker Doll was good. After the performance, I also had the pleasure of being introduced to her and I spoke to her briefly. She's most charming.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:43 pm 

I've copied a couple of posts to this topic as I feel that they are better here: <P>Stuart Sweeney posted April 18, 2001 14:46 <P>After her performance last night in 'Giselle', the 19 year old Alina Cojocaru was made a Principal by Artistic Director Anthony Dowell. It is little more than a year since she joined the Company on the lowest rung. She becomes the youngest Principal for a long time. Darcey Bussell was 20 when she achieved this status. <P>Kevin Ng saw her after the performance and says that she was taking it all in her usual quiet way. <P>*********************************************<P>Terry posted April 18, 2001 18:48 <P>My warmest congratulations to Alina! I can't wait to see her during RB's US tour. And 19 is really young...she must be truly exceptional.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:49 pm 

Yes, she is an exceptional talent Terry. She plays Clara in the BBC film of the new Royal Ballet production of 'The Nutcracker', so you might be able to catch a viewing at some time.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:50 pm 

<B>Romanian leaps into ballet's top flight</B><BR> <BR>By Nigel Reynolds in The Times <P> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>THE Royal Ballet's rising 19-year-old star Alina Cojocaru, who has been compared to the young Margot Fonteyn, has been promoted to become one of the company's youngest principal ballerinas.<P>In scenes of high emotion, the Romanian dancer who has won the hearts of London's critics and audiences in 18 months, was given the news of her promotion on stage surrounded by colleagues after a performance of Giselle at Covent Garden on Tuesday night.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=004809589461199&rtmo=weflAsMb&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/et/01/4/19/ndanc19.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More....</B></A><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 19, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 4:57 am 
Alina Cojocaru was very nice on Tue. evening. When she finally appeared at the stage door, she was very nice to her many well-wishers, signing their programmes and posing with some of them to be photographed. But I was really impressed by how calm and low-keyed she appeared after her promotion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:27 am 

Here is the full text of the Royal Ballet Press Release<P><B>Alina Cojocaru Promoted to Principal</B><P>Alina Cojocaru was promoted to Principal by Royal Ballet Director, Anthony Dowell after her performance of Giselle yesterday evening.<P>Born in Bucharest, she trained in Kiev for seven years before joining The Royal Ballet School in 1998 on a Prix de Lausanne scholarship. Upon completion of her training, six months later, she returned to Kiev to dance with Kiev Ballet for a year. Her repertory with Kiev Ballet included Don Quixote (Kitri), The Sleeping Beauty (Aurora, Princess Florine), Cinderella, Nutcracker (Clara), Coppélia, (peasant pas de deux) and Hungarian Dance in Swan Lake.<P>She joined The Royal Ballet Company in November 1999 and at the end of the season was promoted from Artist to First Soloist. Now, at the age of 19, she is among one of the youngest dancers to be made Principal within The Royal Ballet's history.<P>Since joining the Company, Alina Cojocaru has danced in various productions including the lead couple in Frederick Ashton's Symphonic Variations, Michael Corder's Masquerade, the pas de trois from Anthony Dowell's production of Swan Lake, Clara in Peter Wright's production of The Nutcracker and Juliet in Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo & Juliet. Her created roles include Vanessa Fenton's Ad infinitum, Christopher Wheeldon's There Where She Loves and most recently Ashley Page's This House Will Burn.<P>Wednesday, 18 April 2001 <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 12:56 pm 

Image <P>Alina in 'The Nutcracker', but I suspect that one or two of you may have guessed that.<P><BR>A BBC article about the promotion. She was certainly a delight in 'The Nutcracker'. Even a cynical old b******d like me enjoyed the performance I saw towards the end of the run, when she and Ivan Putrov (seen in the lower image in the article) had settled into the roles. It was difficult to believe that it could be done any better. <P>One choreographer told me that it was the natural quality of her dancing that marks her out from many other talented dancers.<P> <A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/arts/newsid_1285000/1285526.stm" TARGET=_blank>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/arts/newsid_1285000/1285526.stm</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 1:47 pm 

I know this sounds a little stupid, but Alina has such a lovely face and smile too! It does help to have good looks if one is a prima ballerina. Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 2:11 am 

<B>With one leap she was a prima ballerina</B><P>Jasper Gerard meets Alina Cojocaru<P>Unfortunately this interview is by a non-dance journo., so there's lots of 'human interest' stuff and comparisons with you-know-who.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dazzling eyes, delicate bones and finer poise than the silver lady on a Rolls-Royce: I met Dame Margot Fonteyn on the eve of her death at the age of 71 and was blown away by her fragile grace. Nobody since has matched it - until Friday, when I met the 19-year-old dancer who has just been made prima ballerina of the Royal Ballet and who is already spoken of as the new Fonteyn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.sunday-times.co.uk:80/news/pages/sti/2001/04/22/stirevnws02007.html?" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 22, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 5:22 am 

Interesting article, STuart - thank you.<P>I hope she achieves her own fame with comparisons to no one else - entirely on her own persona - as I am sure she will.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 7:02 am 
Alina Cojocaru is in good company tonight. The President of Romania is in London this weekend, and Cojocaru has been invited to the reception at the Romanian embassy. I was also told that the embasssy has offered Alina to organise a party to celebrate her promotion, but she modestly turned it down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 4:15 pm 

Stuart - if memory serves me - I think you mentioned that though many people were pleased with this dancer's promotion to principal - you also said some were not.<P>Could you explain that - if it is appropriate to do so.....<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited April 22, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 7:08 am 

What I find interesting is that she was trained in Russia; one would assume with a Vaganova syllabus? And she dances with the Royal Ballet! I guess all the companies are becoming much more eclectic, in terms of their dancers'training backgrounds. If memory serves, I believe the Royal has a male principal from Cuba (I cant' remember his name right now?)I wonder if that makes for any discernible differences to the audience eyes, in terms of the stylistic "look" of the company.

Profile E-mail