public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Kirov's 'Swan Lake'
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 11:12 pm 

Image <P>Clement Crisp has a night to remember as he sees the Kirov's 'Swan Lake':<P>'Here is academic dancing of serene authority - no one moves with greater nobility - and, despite the scores of performances these dancers have given (and the further hundreds their predecessors have known), the dance itself is fresh, the style all-pervasive, all-conquering, all-justifying. Here is a classic ensemble of unrivalled dignity, aware of the stylistic significance of what it does and of the importance of that style.' <P> <A HREF="http://timeoff.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3CAKXPGBC&live=true&tagid=ZZZXMOHBC0C" TARGET=_blank>http://timeoff.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&<BR>c=Article&cid=FT3CAKXPGBC&live=true&tagid=ZZZXMOHBC0C</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 04, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Kirov's 'Swan Lake'
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 7:38 am 

It is noteworthy that Mr. Crisp's review is a bit at odds with many other viewpoints on the Kirov's second London season -- others have been relentlessly negative about both Ms. Gumerova and Mr. Zelensky. Have you attended, Stuart?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 8:40 am 

No Francis, I may go next week, projects permitting. Crisp is very much his own man. I think that their 'Romeo and Juliet ' has comein for a lot of criticism. A lot of this is due to the fact that we see the excellent MacMillan version so frequently. <P>A month ago everyone was singing the praises of the Kirov 'Swan Lake'. I think it was Gumerova I saw as the second lead in 'Rubies' and she was not a typiclal Kirov shape, but was quite a mover. <P>Zelensky never does much for me, he looks rather bored or sulky a lot of the time. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 05, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 6:33 pm 
I think I'll have a hard time next week queuing for day seats or returns, as I understand that this August season is all sold out. I didn't buy tickets, as I couldn't decide to make the trip till yesterday. <p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited August 05, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 8:19 pm 

Oh dear. Hey guys, don't forget the criticaldance.com platinum card does give you special privileges... Image<P>Well, I wish you guys the best of luck, even though I'm so terribly jealous that I won't be able to make it myself.

Profile E-mail