public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: POB - Romeo and Juliet cast
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 3:48 am 

The cast came to be change, It's important to note that Guerin doesn't make her farewells this season. <BR>She should make it on Notre-Dame de Paris in Garnier next season.<BR>Fanny Gaïda will make her farewell evening the 23 june instead of the previous date of Guerin.<BR>Good news, we will see the Juliet of Agnès Letestu, she is the only young dancer to take the role this season she will dance the 11, 14 and 16 july beside of Nicolas Le Riche as Romeo, José Martinez as Tybalt Jéremie Bélingard as Mercutio, Christophe Duquenne as Benvolio and Vincent Cordier (coryphée) as Paris.<BR>Other date to remain : 13 july with Maurin, Benjamin Pech one of the most promising premier danseur as Romeo (if he is not again injuried, because these last season, he was unfortunately very often injuried when he had some great role as Jean de Brienne as Raymonda or other), Stéphane Phavorin must take the role of Tybalt. It's a young "espoirs" evening with Alessio Carbone as Mercutio, Nicolas Paul as Benvolio and Stéphane Bullion as Paris. I think it will be the evening to not miss. Manuel Legris must dance his last Romeo on 9 july. He said he doesn't want dance the role after because he will be too old and he prefer that audience stay on good memories about him.<BR>Sylvie Guillem is always scheduled the 26, 28 and 29 of june besides of Laurent Hilaire as Romeo, Kader Belarbi as Tybalt, Lionel Delanoe as Mercutio, Christophe Duquenne as Benvolio and Laurent Novis as Paris.<P>The Nureyev production is the best version, for my eyes, of Romeo and Juliet. it seems to be the more near to the Shakespeare play. <P>In same time you could discover an other ballet based upon a Shakespeare' play Neumeier Midsummer night dream with Aurelie Dupont and Jean-Guillaume Bart and the Elisabeth Platel returns for two dates 27 and 29 of june besides of Yann Saiz.<BR>Performance to not miss. It's one of my favourite ballets.

Post subject: Re: POB - Romeo and Juliet cast
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 4:07 am 

As i'm sure you know Cathy here in England we are very keen on the MacMillan version. Have you seen it?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 5:31 am 

I don't believe I have ever seen the Nureyev production of Romeo and Juliet - and I would very much like to.<P>I am most familiar with MacMillan's version. But Lavrovsky's is also valid and worthwhile. I have that tape with Ulanova.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 7:18 am 

I saw MacMillan version in broadcast with Ferri, Eagling and Royal Ballet. But I saw also it on stage by ABT with Ferri and Bocca.<BR>I prefer the Nureyev version how I said, she is really near from the play. Somethings miss in the MacMillan version.<BR>It's above all the third act which is better than MacMillan version, Nureyev kept all the scene, as the scene where the monk is killed when he goes to give the mail to Romeo. The scene where Juliet don't know what she mus make, if she must die or drink the potion and where Tybalt' and Mercutio' ghosts appear to indicate what choice make, Tybalt bringing her near of the dagger and Mercutio near to the potion. The scene where Juliet alone try to suicide and how she sees that the dagger evocate a cross, and decide to go to the church talk to Frère Laurent. Also the pas de quatre between Juliet, Paris, Lady and Lord Capulet which evocate Moor's pavane. I love also the dream of Romeo on the Mantoue road, or the scene between Benvolio and him when Benvolio learns to him that Juliet is died, and he makes sort of back jump in the arms of Benvolio. It's very strongh.<BR>In second act, the scene where Mercutio is injuried and handed by his friends, all the population turn around as in a picture.<BR>The ballet is really near from Zeffirelli movies. All the scene are present. <BR>It exist a dvd of this production with Monique Loudières and Manuel Legris who are absolutely terrific.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 9:20 am 

I have just ordered the VHS video of Paris Opera Ballet, Nureyev version of Romeo and Juliet with Loudieres and Legris....I am really looking forward to seeing it.<P>Thank you Cathy.<P>Thank you Milena for telling me about the tape.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 9:32 am 

I hope you will be not deceipted by it. <BR>Loudières and Legris were the most beautiful couple I see at POB during some years. They are so musical. When I saw this serial of performance of Romeo and Juliet, with the filmed cast, I think that's Dance with a major D. <BR>The rest of cast is really good too. Lionel Delanoé is Mercutio, Charles Jude is Tybalt, Wilfried Romoli dances Benvolio's role and José Martinez Paris role.<BR>The sets and dress are wonderful and if you look very attentive you could recognize Marie-Agnès Gillot in Capulets servants.