public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ask David Bintley at Sadler's Wells
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 1:07 am 

Pose a question to Birmingham Royal Ballet's Artistic Director David Bintley and choreographer of the two-part ballet cycle Arthur part 1 and Arthur part 2 (coming to Sadler's Wells in May)using our online form at: <BR> <A HREF="http://www.sadlers-wells.com/whats_on/spring2001/brb.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sadlers-wells.com/whats_on/spring2001/brb.asp</A> <P>The top ten questions will be forwarded to him and his responses printed on the Sadler's Wells website.<P>A prize of a £10 book token to spend at <A HREF="http://www.Arts-Books.com" TARGET=_blank>www.Arts-Books.com</A> will go to the person who sends in the most interesting question to David Bintley.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ask David Bintley at Sadler's Wells
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 1:52 am 

If you read these pages regularly, you will need no introduction to Sadler's Wells, now one of the leading dance venues in Europe.<P>This competition idea seems like a great initiative to me, so I hope that criticaldance readers will not be backward in coming forward with questions.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 5:03 pm 

Quite a number of years ago I read a history of Sadler's Wells - it actually had wells as I remember...and was a place for outdoor entertainment as a stopping over place. My memory is very fuzzy on this, but the history of the place as a center of entertainment is quite ancient.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 3:05 am 

I understand your point, Susan and the old SW will always have a soft spot in my heart. The atmosphere of the old place is sadly missed. It's historical importance as the home of the forerunner of the Royal Ballet is assured.<P>However, in the last 10 years of its life the old SW was no longer one of the leading dance venues in Europe. The problems that you mention meant that a range of important companies, including Rambert, had dropped it from their schedule. Those that did come like Ballet de Monte Carlo sometimes had to elbow eachother out of the way on-stage.<P>With Ballett Frankfurt, Pina Bausch, SFB, PNB, NDT, Rambert and the RB delighting in the new facility, it is restored to its leading position of old.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:20 am 

Thay seem to have left some of the structure of the auditorium, from what we saw during the re-building. But the stage, the public areas and the outside are totally new. The stage is about twice the size it was before and the public areas are metal and wood, modern minimalist. It remains a 1500 seater, with better leg room, very good sightlines, but no central walkways in the various sections of the theatre, so if you're in the middle you have to past 20 people before you get to your seat.<P>Less charm, but a wonderful theatre for dance now. I wish SFB were going there in the Summer (or the Coli) rather than the ROH with its poor sightlines for dance. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 10, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 8:04 pm 

I sent my question in.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 9:28 am 

The competition runs until April I think. So there's still plenty of time to submit your question using the link at the top of the page.

Profile E-mail