public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Royal Danish Ballet: 2004-2005
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:54 am 

An article from the Pretoria News about the performances of the South African Ballet Theatre that will involve dancers from the RDB:

Quote:
Danish treat
June 22, 2004
In an ongoing collaboration between the principals and soloists of the Royal Danish Ballet and the South African Ballet Theatre, a programme of four ballets, which capture a spectrum of moods and styles, offers audiences a rich feast of dance entertainment from Thursday.

Included in the line-up is the world premiere of The Little Match-Seller by young Danish dancer and choreographer Louise Midjord.
More

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:55 pm 

Greetings...
This is slightly old news by now, but I finally got a chance to look at my tape of the Command Gala for the Royal Wedding.

Unfortunately, the tape cut off half way through the Wedding Waltz from "A Folk Tale", which is the one piece I really wanted to see. Oh well, nothing is perfect! Only the finale of the 3rd act was shown, and it looked like Andrew Bowman, Thomas Lund & perhaps Morten Eggert as the three men in the pas de sept, and one of the women was Claire Still.

The Neumeier piece had the potential to be really interesting, but never really got off the ground. It turned out to be a pas de deux with Kenneth and Marie Pierre Greve, which leads me to believe that there was a shortage of rehearsal time (or a poorly timed injury) because it had always been advertised as a pas de quatre with the Greves, Morten Eggert and Thomas Lund.

The Greves were in plain black, with the action centering around a chair. They seemed to be a couple who have a split (he carries here limp body around at one point) and in the end reconcile. Some nice moves, and the two looked happy to be dancing together - they aren't often cast opposite eachother. The Greves move very well together, and a section with them slow dancing was particularly touching.

It also probably would have helped if I could have understood the lyrics, as that might have explained the "story" a bit more, but it seemed to be that while the concept had merit, rap and ballet don''t naturally merge and there wasn't enough time for the music and the moves to gell as a cohesive whole. Kenneth Greve was interviewed early in the telecast, but in Danish, so I'm not sure what was discussed.

I didn't watch the whole balcony scene from "Romeo & Juliet", but it did look much better on TV that on the webcast. Still, the white tights & blue top & boots do not look good on Mads Blangstrup - the shiny white tights pick up light in all the wrong places and the tunic & boots cut up his gorgeous line. His dancing is elegant and passionate, and Margaret Illman seemed tiny next to him.

All in all, some interesting dancing, despite the finale being cut off. Too bad the Neumeier piece seemed to be a rush job - I really like his "A Midsummer Night's Dream".
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:16 am 

Greetings!
The news has now been posted on the RDB website, so I can now announce that Tim Matiakis, currently with the Royal Ballet, will be joining the Royal Danish Ballet as a soloist for the 2004-05 season.

Matiakis was trained at the school of the Royal Swedish Ballet and danced with the RSB until 2002, when he took a leave of absence to join the Royal Ballet as a first artist. He is scheduled to dance with the company in New York City this summer, so he will likely join the RDB after that tour.

There is also another addition to the company - Giorgia Minnella has joined as a member of the corps.

Kate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:13 am 

Five RDB dancers recently took part in the Shanghai International Ballet Competition - Dawid & Marcin Kupinski, Sebastian Kloborg, Cecilie Lassen & Nicolai Hansen.

Frank Andersen was also in Shanghai - from what I can gather, either teaching one of the daily classes for the competitors or acting as a judge. Other teachers with RDB connections were Maina Gielgud & Dinna Bjorn,

I have been unable to find any results, but here are links to several pictures:

Third picture from the bottom here is of Nicolai (I think), Dawid and Sebastian drawing for their number. My Chinese is rusty, but the caption says something about their number not being very good.

I think pictures 2-4 here and pictures 4 and 5 here are of Nicolai & Cecilie, but it's really hard to tell without captions. But, the Bournonville style ballet slippers are a pretty good clue!

Kate

<small>[ 08 July 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:16 pm 

Reviews from the Soloists & Principals of the Royal Danish Ballet's collaboration with the South African Ballet Theatre...

From the MSN Message board, Moira de Swart writes:

Quote:
On Saturday I headed off to the matinee performance of "The South African Ballet Theatre and Soloists & Principals of the Royal Danish Ballet" performing Conservatoire, The Little Match-Seller, Transfigured Night and Napoli.
Yes, the name is awful. The ballet is not.
More

<small>[ 17 July 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:55 pm 

Several dancers from the RDB will be participating in the Summerballet event in Copenhagen as performers and choreographers.

The event, which is organized by former RDB dancer Alexander Kølpin, runs August 8-18.

The ballet including RDB dancers are:

SWEET TEARS (15 min.) - WORLDPREMIERE
(title to be announced)
Music: Simeon Ten Holst (Canto Ostinato)
With: Tiziana Fracchiolla, Otto Bubenicek, Jiri Bubenicek, Marie Agnes Gillot, Pi Keohavong, Gudrun Bojesen, Vaclav Kunes, Ivan Urban, Alexander Kolpin.
Choreography: Vaclav Kunes

EN ANDEN AKT (18 min.) - WORLDPREMIERE
New interpretation of the 2. act of Bournonvilles classic "Napoli" as an under water ballet with video and sound.
Music: Paulli og Helsted
Med: Gudrun Bojesen, Morten Eggert, Alexander Kølpin
Choreography: Johan Holten and Thomas Lund

More information is available at the official website

Kate

<small>[ 25 July 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:16 am 

Greetings!
Some news from Copenhagen as the opening of the 2004-05 season draws near!

The program for the annual free outdoor performance at the Castellat on August 21st has been announced. It is as follows, as per my rough translations.

Ballet at the Kastellet

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Overture from 'Harald Lander' / Johan Svendsen's Festpolonaise
    Det Kongelige Kapel conducted by Martin Åkerwall</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pas de deux from Festpolonaisen
    Thomas Lund and Gudrun Bojesen</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pas de deux from the 1st act race scene in 'Anna Karenina '
    Gitte Lindstrøm and Mads Blangstrup</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">'BASCHERT…'
    Cecilie Lassen and Nikolaj Hansen</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Reel from 'Livjægerne på Amager'
    Peter Bo Bendixen, Martin Stauning, Asger Schlichtkrull, Christina L. Olsen, Elisabeth Dam, Kristine Andersen and Esther Wilkinson</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pas de deux from 'Etudes'
    Caroline Cavallo and Kenneth Greve. Also Ditte Teildorf, Kizzy Howard and Mie Fjelstrup</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Excerpt from 'Napoli'
    Pas de deux with Kristoffer Sakurai and Gudrun Bojesen and the Napoli Suite with Rossini's La Danza and Neapolitian songs presented by tenor Gert Henning Jensen</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">'Abdallah – Palmyra
    Haley Henderson and Morten Eggert</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Overture from "The Nutcracker"
    Det Kongelige Kapel conducted by Martin Åkerwall</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mouse Dance from 'The Nutcracker'
    Alexander Sukonnik, Sebastian Kloborg, Alexander Stæger, Christian Hammeken and Benjamin
    Nehammer
    </font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ballet by Louise Midjord with live musik by Swan Lee
    Silja Schandorff, Cecilie Lassen and Byron Mildwater</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Tarantella and finale from 'Napoli,' 3rd act
    Jean-Lucien Massot and Gitte Lindstrøm</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It looks to be a wonderul afternoon and I hope the weather cooperates. It's good to see that Jean-Lucien Massot is scheduled to dance!

Kate

<small>[ 11 August 2004, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:24 am 

More news...

There have been several casting changes for "Anna Karenina", which would appear to indicate that Andrew Bowman is either ill or injured. Mads Blangstrup is now scheduled to dance Vronsky opposite Gitte Lindstrom on August 26th and 31st. Bowman is however, still scheduled to dance the last two performances of 'Anna Karenina'. This means that Jean-Lucien Massot is not scheduled to dance the role for 2004-05.

Also, on August 19th from 4 - 6pm, Thomas Lund and Cecilie Laessen will be dancing a piece by Louise Midjord, 'Silly Goofball Poems', in several of the Metro stations. These stations include Norreport, Kongens Nytorv and Christianshavn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:46 pm 

Yet more cast changes for "Anna Karenina"...

Nina Ananiashvili has pulled out of her two appearances due to the time demands of her new position as the director of the National Ballet of Georgia. It also appears that Andrew Bowman is probably injured or perhaps performing elsewhere in September, as he's been pulled from the remainder of his performances. While I would have like to see Bowman & Cavallo, I'm excited that Blangstrup & Greve will be dancing in the performaces I'll be seeing.

Casting:

August 26, 27, 31: Lindstrom, Blangstrup
September 7,9,16: Cavallo, Greve
September 23, 25: Greve, Blangstrup

Kate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:25 pm 

I have gotten confirmation that Bowman is injured. It's not serious, but enough that he won't be ready in time for the performances of "Anna Karenina".

Kate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:00 am 

A short article that describes how ballet is booming in Denmark:

Ballet enjoys popular renaissance Search articles
From The Copenhagen Post

Audiences are streaming to the ballet like never before, with the Royal Danish Ballet attracting record audiences. Ballet is enjoying a popular resurgence nationwide.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:50 am 

Greetings!
Kirstoffer Sakurai and Isabella Sokolowska will be making their debuts in the lead roles in the first 2004-05 season performance of "Abdallah" tonight.

They will also be performing on Sept. 8 and 18 (8pm)

Kate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:16 am 

Greetings!
I will be off to Denmark on Thurdsay for a bit more than a week of visit at the Royal Danish Ballet.

Internet access will probably not be regular, but I'll try to keep a fairy regular dairy of my experiences!

Kate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:12 am 

Casting for the 'The King's Volunteers in Amager' has been posted. Here are the main roles, further casting is on the Danish version of the Royal Theater website.

October 2,16:

Edouard: Peter Bo Bendixen
Louise Caroline Cavallo
Otto: Thomas Lund
Steffen: Morten Eggert
Sophie: Amy Watson

October 3, 13, Nov 13:
Jean-Lucient Massot
Silja Schandorff
Kristoffer Sakurai
Thomas Flindt Jeppesen
Cecilie Lassen

October 8:
Peter Bo Bendixen
Gitte Lindstrøm
Thomas Lund
Morten Eggert
Amy Watson

October 26:
Jean-Lucient Massot
Gitte Lindstrøm
Kristoffer Sakurai
Thomas Flindt Jeppesen
Cecilie Lassen

Nov. 10:
Peter Bo Bendixen
Caroline Cavallo
Tim Matiakis
Morten Eggert
Tina Højlund

Dec 21
Peter Bo Bendixen
Gitte Lindstrøm
Tim Matiakis
Morten Eggert
Tina Højlund

<small>[ 21 September 2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:51 am 

Greetings from Copenhagen!

"Anna Karenina" last night was good, but there were some glitches with the scenery, most obviously in the begining of the first act. Apparently this isn't the first time they've had difficulties, and the dancers recovered nicely.

As a whole, it's an interesting ballet, but not a great one. The dancing was excellent, especially by Mads Blangstrup as Vronsky and Marie Pierre Greve as Anna, but the action seems to zip by. I was out of the theater and home by 10pm, and that's rather short for a full night of ballet.

A new production of "The Kings Guard on Amager" and "Etudes" are next on the schedule, and the dancers are hard at work in rehearsals.

Kate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next