CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paris Opera Ballet School
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 1:50 am 

<B>Dashing youth in a splendid 'Coppelia'</B> <P>By CLEMENT CRISP in The Financial Times<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In the spring of 1870, Coppelia took to the stage of the old Paris Opera for the first time. The Swanilda was Giuseppina Bozzacchi, an enchantingly gifted girl aged 16. Half a year later she was dead of smallpox, while Paris suffered under siege by the Prussian army. But nothing could stop this marvellous ballet, and in Paris and in Petersburg, and notably in London, it has endured because of its mirac-ulous score and its sunlit yet mysterious theme. <P>Last week I saw another 16-year-old as Swanilda at the Paris Opera. The stage was that of the Palais Garnier. The occasion was the first of the annual performances given by the students of the Opera's ballet school.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR><A HREF="http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?id=010502001520&query=ballet" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

Post subject: Re: Paris Opera Ballet School
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 2:55 am 

i don't read again Clement Crisp critical but I saw the first evening of school of Dance programm, it's composed of two ballets the two acts version of Coppelia by Aveline and Lacotte, and Yondering by Neumeier. <BR>It's a magnificent reconstitution of the creation performance with set and costums.<BR>Swanilda was danced by a 16 years aged girl named Charline Giezendanner, she looks a few to Laetitia Pujol, but don't have her technical insurance, even she is really good. She is young as Giuseppina Bottazzi. At her side, you find Khalfouni and Ganio' son named Mathieu Ganio, black hair, big smile, good technically, very musical. i think he could make something later. Coppelius was danced by Cedric Lambrette and it's hard for a boy of this age to arrive to draw a character role as Coppelius but he was really good. Swanilda friends were absolutely pretty. School child dance very good but not so together than before.<BR>After this traditionnal Coppelia, we have Yondering on Foster music. It allows to see all the school 1st, 2d and 3d division in a contemporary repertory where they are as good as classical one. Men trio was absolutely perfect Cyril Mitilian, Mathieu ganio and Cedric Lambrette were very good. In a comic pdd, Emilie Hasboun, again in 2d division was absolutely pretty at side of G Piatka. <BR>I find the performance very fresh and enjoy it. Tonight must have the world creation of Nosferatu by Gallotta, i'll try to make the cumment of this performance in english but it's sometimes difficult.<BR>

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 3:23 am 

Many thanks for your review Cathy and I think you are doing very well with your English. We shall all look forward to your report on 'Nosferatu'. There can't be many Western ballet companies who can operate in two places in the way that POB is doing. Another benefit of having 140 dancers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:15 am 

<B>AMERICAN'S KIDS DANCE RINGS AROUND FRENCH</B> <BR>By CLIVE BARNES in The NY Post<P><BR>June 5, 2002 -- WITH the sole exception of American Ballet Theater, all great ballet companies have equally talented schools attached. <BR>By staging public performances, the schools give their dancers much-needed experience and audiences a precious glimpse of the company's future. <P>A week ago, the Paris Opera Ballet sent its school - generally regarded as the world's best, along with St. Petersburg's - to give performances in New York, as it had done once before. <P>The Parisians were impressive, as usual, though not as much so as in the past. <P><A HREF="http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/49579.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:21 am 

I just viewed the Coppelia DVD - as performed by the students of the POB School - terrific. There is also a documentary of the school on it as well which is quite good and you get a good look at the young Le Riche, Jose Martinez and Aurelie Du Pont. The way in the which the dancers are trained is quite beautiful. I am wondering if a printed syllabus of the POB school exists?

Anyone?

DH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:49 am 

David, I have never heard of a printed syllabus of the POB school.
"The French method" is usually transmitted orally by a long uninterrupted series of teachers who were themselves former POB dancers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:37 pm 

Merci ileana!

I wonder then if anyone has written about the French method. There are so many books written about the Russian style. I should hope someone would write about the French.

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:31 am 

Quote:
Seeing Things: THE FRENCH HAVE A SCHOOL FOR IT

by TOBI TOBIAS
the Arts Journal

... I saw the daylong program this extraordinary school, the oldest and arguably the greatest of its kind, modestly calls its “Demonstrations.”

The program, nearly six hours long, with a break midway in which valiant spectators went out to revive themselves with shots of strong black coffee, comprised separate mini-classes for boys and girls from Level 6 (ages 12 to 13) up to Level 1 (18 and under).
more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:08 pm 

the french method is special, because it depends on Italian and Russian nineteenth century schools...
but I think that we know progressivly lose the russian side :(
In a another side, russian school in the 19th depended on french teachers... it's quite difficult to know what comes from what, but here "we" usually say that legs are from Italy and arms from Russia...

But there is a problem know with the teaching of classical ballet in France... there is not just one method... experimentations grow up, and I'm afraid it will not be very good for classical dance...