public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rambert Autumn programme
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 5:06 am 

Rambert Dance Company have announced their Autumn touring schedule amd full details are given here:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000270.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Rambert Autumn touring</B></A><P>The schedule includes a lot of the work seen at the recent Sadler's Wells season, which you can read about here:<P><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000023.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Rambert Spring and Summer 2001</B></A><P>New additions to the rep include: <P>- The World Premiere of a new ballet (as yet untitled), created by its Artistic Director, Christopher Bruce, in honour of the anniversary. Inspired by the music of the virtuoso blues guitarist and banjo player, Martin Simpson, the ballet evokes a mythical small-town America, where the cycles of poverty and war cannot subdue the capacity for joy.<P>- The Company Premiere of ‘Ground Level Overlay’ by Merce Cunningham. The third work by Cunningham to be performed by the comapny in the past few years. <P>- The Revival Premiere of Bruce’s ‘Land’, last staged in 1995. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rambert Autumn programme
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 10:22 am 

Azlan, something new about America but no plans for them to visit you...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 10:37 am 

Oh, are your referring to<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The World Premiere of a new ballet (as yet untitled), created by its Artistic Director, Christopher Bruce, in honour of the anniversary. Inspired by the music of the virtuoso blues guitarist and banjo player, Martin Simpson, the ballet evokes a mythical small-town America, where the cycles of poverty and war cannot subdue the capacity for joy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Perhaps Mr Bruce should choreograph for Rambert's next American tour a ballet evoking a mythical English village...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 11:51 am 

Actually, he has made 'Sergeant's Early Dream', but that seems to me that it is based more in a Celtic setting rather than an English village.<P>Christopher Hampson has made 'Country Garden' for English National Ballet to music by Percy Grainger which comes closest to your concept Azlan. I suspect that it would go down big with US anglophiles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:43 pm 

<I>Sergeant Early's Dream</I> was definitely a winner in SF, when SFB did it. Several years ago (at SFB's premiere), I remember being mesmerized by the "child dancer," not realizing until later that it was Diablo Ballet's Erika Johnson guesting with SFB and who had originated the part at Houston Ballet.<P>Also, while we're on the subject of Christopher Bruce-SF connections, there is a restaurant called The Rooster in the Mission District. I have it on good authority that Mr Bruce ate there once. Image I highly recommend its Asian-European fusion cuisine.<P>We keep getting back to food, don't we...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 4:36 am 

Azlan, you could start a post dance supper review thread??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 11:45 pm 

Article on Rambert in The Herald<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> As Rambert Dance Company celebrates 75 years, artistic director Christopher Bruce tells MARY BRENNAN how it manages to stay on its toes<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.theherald.co.uk/arts/archive/11-10-19101-21-39-9.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE... </B> </A>

Profile E-mail