public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Royal Ballet 2001-2002 season
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:04 am 

As the new Royal Ballet season is announced, Debra Craine interviews Ross Stretton about his choices and the reasoning behind them.<P> <A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-2001191685,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-2001191685,00.html</A> <P>I find this programme encouraging. There is a good mix of work following Michael Kaiser's view that the Royal should be like an art gallery with three wings - 19thC classics, 20thC classics and current work. I agree with Stretton's comment that the UK ballet scene has paid scant attention to the work of Cranko, so it is very good to see 'Onegin' in the schedule.<P>His policy of encouraging workshop productions so that he can get to know the domestic choreographers before he commissions them for the main stage seems reasonable to me, particularly as the Royal is under-represented with the work of the leading international choreographers. He makes moves to remedy this by bringing in existing works by Mats Ek, Nacho Duato and revivals of 2 works by William Forsythe. in addition there is a new work by Christopher Wheeldon.<P>We see little of Kenneth MacMillan next year, but the following year there will be a major celebration of his work. Lovers of the work of Ashton are likely to be less pleased and it is here that Stretton is likely to receive the greatest criticism in the next 2 years. However, there is a revival of 'A Month in the country'.<P>With plenty of work new to the Company and Nureyev's 'Don Q', I suspect the dancers will be pleased. They now have to make their mark with the new man.<P>I'm looking forwrd to the new season. It will be tricky following the wonders of Dowell's 'Greatest Hits' season, but Stretton has given it a good shot in my view. What do others think?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Royal Ballet 2001-2002 season
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:08 am 

The article bodes well - every conceivable base is covered - classic, traditional, modern and even.....new. I don't think any alarm bells are ringing and I will certainly enjoy the reaction of audience and critics to the selection. Remember, the overview seems very balanced but the actual first season's programme will have to be very carefully chosen....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 6:13 am 

To hear that Ross Stretton plans productions of Cranko’s Eugene Onegin and Nureyev’s Don Quixote at the RB is wonderful news. The company’s neglect of Cranko’s work over the years has been inexplicable and it saddened me that up until now none of Nureyev’s full-length productions has ever made it into the repertoire. I always felt this indicated a regrettable lack of regard toward two talents that had in their different ways contributed so much to the Royal Ballet in the past. Thank you Mr Stretton.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 7:51 am 

<B>Ismene Brown on the new RB season</B><P>for the Daily Telegraph <P><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=005177814703343&rtmo=0KbJbJXq&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/et/01/6/6/btbal06.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Ismene Brown's preview</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 1:48 pm 

Article in The Independant<P><A HREF="http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/dance/reviews/story.jsp?story=77133" TARGET=_blank> <B>There's a new broom at the Royal Ballet ­ but no sweeping changes </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 9:24 am 

An insight from back home:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Man in the middle, somewhat elevated</B><P>Valerie Lawson, Sydney Morning Herald<P>...<P>Reading those interviews in London, the sense of deja vu is powerful. In his programming for the Royal Ballet, and in the comments he is making, Stretton might be back in 1996, just before his appointment to the Australian Ballet, explaining how he would change it. The word "motivate" is common territory. He promised to motivate the Australian dancers and now he says, "I intend to bring in people to motivate this company" - that is, the Royal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/news/0106/15/features/features8.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 5:10 am 

Here is the text of the ballet section of<P><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000269.html" TARGET=_blank><B>The Royal Opera House press release</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 8:42 pm 

Image <BR>Ross Stretton<P>Gossip from Theodore Bale in the Boston Herald:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>That production of ``Swan Lake'' (with well-researched, authentic staging by Sir Anthony Dowell and lavish set design by Yolanda Sonnabend), is apparently not much admired by the Royal Ballet's new artistic director, former Australian Ballet Artistic Director Ross Stretton.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/danc07062001.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A> in the middle of the linked article<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 05, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:27 am 

A very interesting comment from Mr. Bale. As far as I can remember, he is the first person to enjoy the designs. Perhaps he would like to organise a collection to buy the sets and costumes forBoston Ballet. Over here we'd all be delighted. <P>Here are the first three comments about the ballet that I have come cross. I suspect that most of the other UK critics say something similar:<P><BR>Ismene Brown in The Daily Telegraph:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I confess that only debuts would drag me back willingly to this hideous 1987 production, which is more over-designed than Harrods' Christmas department. Baubles hang everywhere, there is a blizzard of ribbons, a fury of tassels, a blur of velvets, satins, feathers and fancy lace. Look hard and there's a dancer inside that package somewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Jan Parry in The Observer:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Compared with the Kirov's classic account of the white acts, Dowell's looks decadent, sentimental. His swan-maidens are fluffy, lakeside creatures, their abstract patterns blurred by fluttery dresses and a flock of swan-children, cute, minute and in the way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR>David Dougill in The Sunday Times:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This is a staging with a good choreographic text and clear narrative, but visually cluttered, with gaudy designs by Yolande Sonnabend that seriously detract from the dancing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 10:41 am 

LOL. I wonder if Mr Bale will also enjoy the costumes from Ballet San Jose's "Midsummer Night's Dream"...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 4:30 am 

And I have a few fashion blunders in my wardrobe that could double up for a Fokine programme...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am 

i don't see what is wrong with Anthony's version of Swan Lake it is supposed to be onr of the most authentic versions out there..the same goes for his Sleeping Beauty.<BR>why does everyone have to change thing's leave Sir Anthony's versions alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:08 am 

Sugar Plum, I do not think anyone finds anything wrong with the choreography but some of the sets just do not work too well.<BR>For example, the ballroom scene in Swan Lake<BR>although in beautiful colours is overloaded with details. Somebody described it last year as looking like cheap jewllery which is pretty accurate. When you put the dancers in their colourful costumes for the national dances in front of it,it is just visual overkill.<p>[This message has been edited by OdileGB (edited July 11, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 1:27 pm 

Stuart, Emma, anyone:<P>When will the RB announce this year's promotions and their new dancers? I understand that the BRB announced theirs just recently, and I am anxiously waiting for RB's press release. I hope Yohei Sasaki gets promoted to First Soloist. Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:40 pm 

Promotions: so how does it work? Auditions for those both within and outside the company? Or if you're already in the company is it more likely that you will be the one to be chosen? And are the number of vacancies at each level - corps, soloist, principle - fixed (as a function of the funds available to pay for the salaries), or can the numbers vary depending on the artistic director's vision?<BR>(I've no professional interest in this, BTW!)

Profile E-mail