public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Bolshoi
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 11:15 am 

Image <P>The Bolshoi Theatre of Russia premiered C.Pugni's ballet "La Fille du Pharaon" this month. <BR>The dancers are not named. Come on you Bolshoi buffs - tell us who it is!<P>An interesting story about the financial problems that dog the Bolshoi. It makes one think when one reads that, 'Top Bolshoi dancers earn $70 monthly base salary, plus $210 per performance, while foreign companies pay big stars thousands of dollars a night.'<P>One begins to wonder why they haven't all gone off to wealthier climes, until you read, "This is my home," says Ananiashvili. "The Bolshoi gave me everything - the classical repertoire which I dance everywhere, the teachers who made me a ballerina." <P>Let's hopethat they survive this transition period in something like good shape. Last year's tour to London was probably their best of the 90's.<BR> <A HREF="http://news.excite.com/news/ap/000517/12/ent-wkd-bolshoi-woes" TARGET=_blank>http://news.excite.com/news/ap/000517/12/ent-wkd-bolshoi-woes</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 19, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Bolshoi
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 6:44 am 
I think the Bolshoi ballerina in the photo is Nina Ananiashvili, but I can't tell who the male dancer is.