public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mathieu Ganio Etoile
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:15 pm 

After the tonigh performance of Don Quixote, Mathieu Ganio was nominated etoile of the Paris Opera Ballet.

He is 20 years old, he was again sujet but saved the Don Quixote performances replacing injuried Etoile Jean-Guillaume Bart and injuried premier danseur Hervé Moreau. He danced with Agnès Letestu. He is also the son of Dominique Khalfouni, former etoile of POB and Denys Ganio, sujet of POB and principal of Roland Petit ballet of Marseille. As we said in French "Bon sang ne saurait mentir". "Blood don't know lie"

I was glad for him, since his interpretation of Kourksbi in Ivan le Terrible in last january I find he is the same kind of dancer than Manuel Legris or Laurent Hilaire. He has the style, elegance and all the qualities necessary to a former etoile of POB !

Just a regret, that Benjamin Pech was not nominated, I must be dissapointed, but Mathieu Ganio was so talentuous that his nomination was something normal.

Post subject: Re: Mathieu Ganio Etoile
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:33 pm 

Is this the same young man who appears in the DVD of Coppelia from the school? He was lovely! Congratulations to him!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:52 pm 

Yes he is :) !

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:53 pm 

Indeed Mathieu was Franz in POB School Coppelia, only... 3 years ago !
I saw him dancing Basilio, not yesterday, but last week and was totally captivated by him : elegance, extension, fluidity, ballon... he really has everything a dancer could dream of. An he played Basilio with a good sense of humour !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:43 am 

Gosh! Is there a precedent for a 20-year old etoile in POB of either gender?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:56 am 

Sylvie Guillem was very young when she became Etoile: she entered the company in 1981 and was nominated in December 1984 at 19 years old.... so about the same as Mathieu, who entered the company in 2001 (and was thus nominated with only a few months less than Sylvie in the company).
Dominique Khalfouni, Mathieu's mother was also young at her nomination (and still a sujet), but I don't know how old she was.
Nicolas Leriche was 21 and manuel legris 22. they are some of the youngest ones at their nominations.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:16 am 

Thanks a lot Camille. I see this theme is generating "a certain amount of interest" in "Danser" - nearly 50 posts in 12 hours. Amazing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:29 am 

I guess it's because it's such an incredible news for all French ballet lovers, and for many reasons:
-Mathieu is very young, since Sylvie Guillem no Etoile was nominated that young
-He's the fasted nominated Etoile after his entry in the CdB
-he was not premier danseur yet, and the nomination of a sujet didn't happend since many years (Laurent hilaire and manuel legris were the former ones, if i'm right)
-He's from a famous dancer's family (the little sister is also at the POB school)
-He was not supposed to dance at first, and due to many injuries, he got some performances
-It was his first soloist role for a complete ballet
-After a long time without nominations, and wonders why the direction doesn't nominate new Etoiles, this is the 2nd one in about 1 month!
-It wasn't obvious that there is a position for a new Etoile, as there are already 6 dancing male Etoiles (and only 4 adncing female these days, as 2 of them don't dance for this season)

I guess there are many other reasons, but these ones already enough to udnerstand why so many people gave their reaction on the subject!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:42 am 

Manuel Legris was 21 and not 22 when he was nominated :)

I think Camille gives all the reasons of the "madness" on Danser, it's the first time that a dancer is nominated so quickly. We don't forget that Mathieu was injuried six months next year and danced as first Kourbski in Ivan le terrible in last january and now Basilio !

He is exceptionnal, he has something more. Technically all was not perfect, but he has all the qualities who want in a dancer, handsome, musicality, acting, technically good and so on...