public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bruce Sansom to retire from the RB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:41 am 

This news has come as a surprise to those of us in the UK. I think he has had a really good year with fine performances in Ashton’s 'Rhapsody' and a range of other work including the contemporary inspired pieces by Sue Davies and Gill Clarke. Good to go out on a high perhaps. He has certainly made a bigger impression on me this year than previously, but perhaps I'm looking with better eyes now. <P>Gailene Stock, in an interview in the last edition of 'Dance Now' says that he has been giving a great deal of help at the RBS. Let's hope that this crucial role is maintained both there and in the Company if he returns to the UK after his course in San Francisco.<P>Here is the RB Press Release in full:<BR> <BR>Principal dancer Bruce Sansom has decided to leave The Royal Ballet at the end of the current season in order to undertake a year long arts training programme with the San Francisco Ballet where he was a Principal during the 1991/92 season. It will cover all aspects of running a ballet company, both artistic and administrative.<BR> <BR>Sansom has been associated with The Royal Ballet since joining the junior school twenty-six years ago. He joined the Company 1982 and was promoted to Principal in 1987. A dancer in the true English style, he has danced all the major classics, numerous works of Ashton and MacMillan and created roles in many ballets including Galanteries, Cyrano, Prince of the Pagodas, "Still Life" at the Penguin Café, Pursuit, Bloodlines, Tombeaux and Jeux. <P>Sansom said, "My intention was always to stop dancing well before I felt I had to. I had always planned that at the end of my dancing career I would take a period of time in which to focus on developing my career in artistic management. Having spent the last few months learning the basics of administration under the guidance of Michael Kaiser, Executive Director of the Royal Opera House, the opportunity with San Francisco Ballet has come at an extremely timely moment. I am proud of my time with The Royal Ballet and the work I have done and am very grateful for the help and support that has been shown to me over the years. I would especially like to thank The Royal Ballet’s Director, Sir Anthony Dowell, for all the opportunities that he has been able to give me and for being so understanding of my decision to take up this unique opportunity." <P>Sir Anthony Dowell said: "I wish Bruce every possible success in the next phase of his career. During almost two decades with the Company he has been entirely consistent in his dedication, professionalism and artistry and I know this will carry him forward on his chosen path with continued success." <P>Helgi Tomasson, Artistic Director of San Francisco Ballet added: "It was a pleasure working with Bruce as a dancer back in the early 90’s. I have always had a great deal of respect for him, not only as an artist but also as a colleague. When I heard the news of Bruce’s retirement and his interest to learn about arts administration, I was happy that we were able to offer him an opportunity that might suit his need to learn more about what it takes to run a major ballet company."<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bruce Sansom to retire from the RB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 9:02 am 

This sounds excellent -- a training program for artistic directors. Does anyone in the Bay Area have further insights?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 9:13 pm 

This is very interesting news. I had no idea SFB had a position like that. Where did they find the money? Will he be Helgi's assistant, I wonder? Let me see what I can find out.<P>Stuart, is there a bio on him?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 10:41 pm 

Hmm, this may not be a paying situation after all. Will post as I find out more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 6:18 pm 

Here is an article in the SF Chronicle, with the headline, "Britain's Sansom to Enter S.F. Ballet Training Program":<P> <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/07/17/DD106836.DTL" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/07/17/DD106836.DTL</A> <P><BR>For more news about changes at SFB, go to this thread:<P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000295.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000295.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 12:49 pm 

An interview with Bruce Sansom about how he sees the next year at SFB and the background to the move.<P><BR> <A HREF="http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Theatre/Dance/2000-07/dance250700.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Theatre/Dance/2000-07/dance250700.shtml</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:17 pm 

Debra Craine sees Bruce Sansom's final performance at the ROH - a debut as Lescaut in 'Manon'. A brave finale from a dancer who has taken more than his share of risks over the past year, in particular.<BR> <A HREF="Http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/00/07/27/timartdan02001.html" TARGET=_blank>Http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/00/07/27/timartdan02001.html</A>

Profile E-mail