public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BRBs 'Arthur Parts I and II'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2000 12:07 am 

Birmingham Royal Ballet have a new full length work, 'Arthur, Part I' about the legendary English King, choreographed by the Artistic Director, David Bintley. The ballet opened this week and the national newspaper critics have found it good in parts - the concept, the imaginative links to the present and the designs have all been admired. Unfortunately, with the exception of a couple of sections, the choreography has not been enjoyed. <P>However, it does have the gorgeous Leticia Muller as Morgan Le Faye seducing Arthur in a scene of extraordinary eroticism. I shall book my ticket today. <P>Here are a couple of reviews from Judith Mackrell and Donald Hutera:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.newsunlimited.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,129821,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.newsunlimited.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,129821,00.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/00/01/27/timartdan03001.html?1376249" TARGET=_blank>http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/00/01/27/timartdan03001.html?1376249</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 01-29-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BRBs 'Arthur Parts I and II'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2000 6:39 pm 

Stuart, is this work a stand-alone? Will there be a Part 2? This brings up the question: has there ever been a ballet divided over two or more parts?<P>Also, please do report on the eroticism. That would provide for much discussion, me thinks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2000 11:20 pm 

OK Azlan - you asked for it! The image below is of Leticia Muller and Robert Parker in the Birmingham Royal Ballet production of David Bintley's Arthur part 1, the photographer is Bill Cooper.<P><BR>Image: <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/images/normal/brb_arthur_p1_muller_parker_pdd.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.co.uk/images/normal/brb_arthur_p1_muller_parker_pdd.jpg</A> <P>'Arthur, Part 2' is scheduled for 2001, when BRB's resident theatre reopens after refurbishment.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 01-31-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 5:34 pm 

Serial ballets? Can we expect ballets to have a "tune in next week" episodic aspect to them? Intriguing. What would Dennis Nahat do with this concept? A Misummer Night's Dream Part II, titled A Midautumn Night's Dream?<P>Stuart, that photo is certainly provoking. And I thought this was a family web site. So much for English propriety.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 9:38 pm 

Ay caramba! Is it too late to book a flight for Birmingham? That *is* a very provocative photo! However, this begs the old question: is this art or entertainment?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 1:02 am 

Image <P><BR>Summer 2000: Ismene Brown sees 'Arthur Part I' but is not impressed. After the disappointments of their 'Giselle', BRB are probably looking forward to the Jazz Triple Bill, which should be a sure-fire success. <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000148269364269&rtmo=wAw5eeKb&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/6/6/btmyth06.html" TARGET=_blank><I> Ismene Brown's review </I></A> <P><BR>May 2001:<P><B>Arthur returns, bloodier and sexier than ever</B> <P>Arthur Part II <P>Sadler's Wells, London <P>By John Percival in The Independent<P><BR><A HREF="Http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=71404" TARGET=_blank><B>John Percival's review</B></A><P><BR>And Luke Jennings on Arthur 2 in the Evening Standard:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/music/top_review.html?in_review_id=386928&in_review_text_id=336198" TARGET=_blank><B>Luke Jennings' review</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 2:42 am 

It would have been nice if BRB and David Bintley had had a hit with 'Arthur Pt. II', but I'm afraid it was not to be. Good in parts is the best comment. I will be having an Arthur marathon on Saturday - Part I in the afternoon and Part II in the evening. <P><B>Arthur's quest for a lost plot</B><P>Ismene Brown reviews Arthur Part 1 and 2 <P>by the Birmingham Royal Ballet at Sadler's Wells <P><BR><A HREF="Http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000148269364269&rtmo=LxhSltKd&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/01/5/11/btart11.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Ismene Brown's review</B></A> <P><BR><B>A cumbersome Camelot - Arthur, Part 2</B><P>**(out of 5) by Judith Mackrell in The Guardian <P><A HREF="Http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4184806,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Judith Mackrell's review</B></A> <P><BR><B>Kept in the Dark Ages</B><P>BY DEBRA CRAINE in The Times<P>'Birmingham Royal Ballet unveiled the second half of David Bintley's Arthurian epic - with Confoundalot in the lead role.' <P><A HREF="Http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-127351,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Debra Craine's review</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 11, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 12:23 am 

Image <P>Military model: two dancers from the Macedonian National Theatre promote help to sell weapons at a Skopje arms fair.<P><B>Macedonia's ballet girls bite the bullet at arms fair</B><P>By Christian Jennings in The Daily Telegraph<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>DANCERS in Macedonia's corps de ballet have been drafted into the race to sell weapons in the newest Balkan war zone.<P>Two weeks ago, Olga Bojev, 29, and Marija Josifovska, 21, principal dancers at the National Theatre, were involved in A Night of Romantic Ballet. Now, with two friends, they find themselves clutching 9mm handguns, dressed in jumpsuits and camouflage paint as they encourage buyers at the Skopje arms fair.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=003864436460684&rtmo=asRe8XaL&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/et/01/5/11/wmace11.html" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><P><BR>This is particularly interesting for me as I spend a fair amount of time establishing links between Amnesty International and dance companies on the theme of Dance and Human Rights. I'm currently manning an AI information table at the performances of BRBs 'Arthur' at Sadler's Wells. Together with other themes, the links between the Arthurian legends and modern day conflict form part of choreographer David Bintley's approach. <P>Amnesty is not opposed to the arms trade in general, but rather where arms are used for internal oppression and the terrorising of civilians in civil war situations. However, Amnesty currently has a campaign on the control, or lack of control, over the production of small arms. A particular concern is the way that arms companies in the UK and elsewhere license production in other countries to avoid UK arms export rules. This is where a lot of those arms come from that we see in the hands of children in Africa and elsewhere. <P>Thus, although I'm not a pacifist, I do find something chilling about this story. It forms a resonant antithesis to dance works like 'The Green Table'. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 12, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 5:07 am 

Have you thought of contacting the Ministry of Culture Rep. of Macedonia for an opinion? <P>vrteva@lotus.mpt.com.mk<P>or the General Manager of the MNT: Vlado Cvetanovski, Ballet Manager Tanja Vusik