public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Anthony Dowell 'hangs up his shoes'
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 9:53 pm 

<B>Time to take the weight off his feet</B><P>BY DEBRA CRAINE in The Times<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As Anthony Dowell hangs up his shoes at the Royal Ballet, he explains why he has no regrets Next week, with undoubted elegance and not too much sobriety, the Royal Opera House will hold a gala for Sir Anthony Dowell. More than a dozen snippets from his greatest roles will be performed by the Royal Ballet, some famous names will be flown in for the occasion, and fans will be hoping that Dowell himself, a lithe 58, does a turn. It will be the ultimate leaving do for someone who has spent 40 years of his life as a Covent Garden star, the first 25 as one of the world’s leading dancers and the last 15 as director of the Royal Ballet. <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-201197,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anthony Dowell 'hangs up his shoes'
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 4:01 am 

I don't think Sir Anthony should be stepping down!! That Ross Stretton will only ruin a great classical company .

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 4:41 am 

Where abouts in the UK are you based Stuart?? just curious.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 8:00 am 

I saw Sir Anthony perform many years ago as a guest with Joffrey. He did "The Dream". (MIdsummer's) He had a back injury that particular night, and was very limited in his movement. HOwever, just seeing him move around the stage was a "once in a lifetime" experience. The way he used his eyes, his head, was an education. Probably even more than if he was dancing "full out". His partnership with Antoinette Sibley was legendary. Did anyone see them perform together? Speaking of which, what is Sibley up to these days? Anyone know?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 1:22 am 

Hi sugar plum fairy! I'm based in London, which is a pretty good place to be a dance fan - 6 events this week! Where are you based?<P>I have to say that I'm keen to give Mr Stretton a chance to show his stuff. I'm pleased that the Royal is a repertory company performing Forsythe as well as Petipa. I'm sure its what most of the dancers want.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 5:57 am 

The first time I saw Anthony Dowell was in Romeo and Juliet, with Nureyev as Romeo. Dowell, was SO young!! And so wonderful!<P>I have about ten tapes of him - The Dream, La Bayadere, Enigma Variations, Sleeping Beauty, and on and on. I always enjoyed him, always. He is a man of many talents and even as importantly has given of himself, and then passed on what was given to him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 7:45 am 

I saw Sibley and Dowell many times - I was at the first night of The Dream! By then they were both very noticeable - it was always obvious that Dowell would become a great dancer - he just stood out from the others, right from the start. Their partnership was perfect - similar personalities, both very bright, and physiques that somehow matched. They were almost as popular as Fonteyn and Nureyev in London.<P>A while ago Sibley was on the board of the Royal Ballet - not sure if she still is.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 11:18 pm 

Hi .. i am from England , but i live in Scotland now!....<BR>I have an autographed photo of Sir Anthony when he danced Romeo years ago , i got it from a friend who didn't want it !!!<BR>If you get the magazine " Dance Now " there is an interview with Sir Anthony in their summer issue due out in July. if you don't get it and want to subscribe i'll give you e-mail details??

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 9:45 am 

<B>Farewell, Sir Anthony</B><P>by Luke Jennings in The Evening Standard<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>There will be champagne, there will be ovations, and there will undoubtedly be tears. Tonight, at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, the British ballet Establishment honours its best-loved and most distinguished son, Sir Anthony Dowell, who retires at the end of the current season. <P>The celebrations will be spectacular - tickets to the fund-raising gala cost up to £1,000 - and guests will fly in from all over the world to celebrate Dowell's 40-year career with the Royal Ballet. The first 25 of those years were spent as a dancer, the last 15 as artistic director, a post he will have held longer than anyone, apart from the company's founder, the late Ninette de Valois. "It's such a tremendous family dynasty," he tells me. "I've been here long enough now to see children go all the way up the ladder."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/review.html?in_review_id=393648&in_review_text_id=340118" TARGET=_blank>More...</A> <BR> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 5:22 am 

so Stuart ...did you go ?? i got my cheque sent back saying the whole event was over subscribed ..and that was in February...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 1:07 am 

<B>The Tony rewards</B> <P>BY DEBRA CRAINE in The Times<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Royal Ballet gave Anthony Dowell quite a send-off There have been few dancers as celebrated as Sir Anthony Dowell. One of the greatest classical dancers of the 20th century. A star on both sides of the Atlantic. A source of inspiration to the finest choreographers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>However,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But with the finale came the evening’s one disappointment. A black-tie audience, so generous they helped to raise £700,000, but who didn’t fully appreciate what they had just seen. What a shame Covent Garden couldn’t bid farewell to its favourite son in front of more of the people who appreciate Dowell most — the ballet fans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Applause, 'Bravos' etc are generally very restrained at the ROH. I suspect that dancers get far more appreciation at Sadler's Wells. <BR> <BR><A HREF="Http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-2001171176,00.html" TARGET=_blank>Http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-2001171176,00.html</A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 1:13 am 

No, I didn't go sugar plum. I did mount a small campaign to have the standing places sold on the day and ended up writing to the new boss Tony Hall. He gave me a considered reply pointing out that these places were used for the volunteers who had helped, press, archive photographers etc. He did say that he would look at all the arrrangements for future Galas.<P>It looks as though we both missed something special. i didn't think they would sell all the tickets at £1000, but the UK economy is clearly doing even better than I thought. For once, I was delighted to be proved wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 3:40 am 

<B>Au revoir to the greatest British male dancer</B><P>By Nadine Meisner in The Independent<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Galas being about good causes, money and sentiment, the Royal Opera House's "A Knight at the Ballet" on Wednesday came up trumps. The sentiment consisted of a farewell to Sir Anthony Dowell as the Royal Ballet's director. The money raised came to £700,000 plus; and so it should, with top seats at £1,000 each. The good causes are the Royal Opera House Trust and the Royal Ballet Upper School, whose new home is being built opposite the ROH stage door. The only miscalculation was making the evening a one-off, when it could have filled the house three times over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/dance/reviews/story.jsp?story=74350" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 5:48 am 
A London friend of mine also attended the dinner after the performance, having paid 750 pounds. The tables in the Floral Hall were completely reserved for corporate entertainment by a bank. Most of the guests dined on the level of the Amphitheatre restaurant, including Dowell himself. My friend was lucky to be seated at the same table as David Bintley. Apparently the RB principals who participated in the gala came to the dinner as well, but were seated at different tables.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 7:41 am 

Apart from the limited and expensive ticket situation, the evening sounds like a stunning success. Apparently there was no TV/video recording presence (and no hope for a future release)?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next