public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kylian's Symphony of Psalms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 7:54 pm 

As I wave to everyone from a very long hiatus from posting (It's taking me forever to read all these VERY interesting posts!), I have a quick question. Well, two, and they are completely unrelated, but I'll shove them under one topic.<P>First, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens will be performing their Grands Europeans program at an outddor theater this August, and since I missed it in May, I think I'll go see it. One of the pieces being performed is Kylian's Symphony of Psalms, and they are the first company in North America to perform it, as it is apparently a very cherished piece of Kylian's. I was wondering if any one has seen it, video or live, and it they have any comments on it. The program includes Duato's WIthout Words (which I saw ABT do and wasn't to fond of it, but hopefully Les Grands will do it better) and Forsythe's Approximate Sonata. <P>Other question I have (it may have been answered and I just haven't gotten to it yet)in light of the Mat's Ek premer at POB, is How is his Sleeping Beaty? I've seen his Giselle (years ago) and am wondering about this. People have told me that a man comes out and gives a Salmon recipe in the middle of it and does his usual quirks on the standard full length ballet...<P>THanks in advance<BR>pidge

Post subject: Re: Kylian's Symphony of Psalms
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 6:20 pm 

I don't think any of these choreographers' works are performed very much in the US, so I don't feel bad that I haven't seen these works. How about how European members? Stuart? Michael M? mairead?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 7:48 pm 

Here is a link to an earlier thread where we discussed Kylian. If you scroll down a bit in my posting I mention 'Symphony of Psalms' - it's a knock-out piece that won the Olivier Award in 1999 when it was first performed in London (it dates from the 70s I think).<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000001.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000001.html</A> <P><BR>There are also some relevant links to the wondrous ballet.co reviews database.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:26 am 

Hi Pidge!<P>I saw his "Beauty" here in Paris a few years back, danced by the Cullberg. In my opinion it is not on the same level as his other works and it is my least favorite. Yes, there is a Swedish Chef giving a cooking class; only it reminded me more of the muppets!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:57 pm 

Oh, Michael, I was thinking the same thing to. Now, here's maybe something for another thread: does anyone remember any Muppets shows that featured dancers?<P><BR> Image <p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited June 27, 2000).]

Profile E-mail