public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guillem in Romeo in Juliet - POB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:00 pm 

Guillem is still injuried and if she danced Marguerite, she won't dance Juliette and will be replace perhaps by Agnès Letestu but nothing is sure. I try to have more information about cast and put it and on Danser en Français naturly

Post subject: Re: Guillem in Romeo in Juliet - POB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:08 pm 

Hmm... Ms Guillem is scheduled to dance her "Giselle" with La Scala in Southern California July 13-15. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 5:53 am 

Can I ask a dumb question. Does S. Guillen dance with POB? I assumed she did. I told a friend this and she said "nonono, she is a Guest Artist and dances all over". Which is it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 6:07 am 

It's not at all a dumb question.<P>Sylvie Guillem made the first part of her career in POB, from school of Dance, by her nomination as etoile, to the leaving in 1988.<P>She is principal guest artist in Royal ballet and is sometimes invited by POB to dance some performance with POB troup.<BR>From her leaving she came to dance several times Manon of MacMillan, Swan Lake(Bourmeister and Nureyev version), Sleeping Beauty, Romeo and Juliet, Don Quixote. She is an attraction for audience who came only to POB to see Guillem and don't go to see really dance. They don't see all her defaults and think all she makes is wonderful.<BR>Even if she has qualities, she has one default which is to not respecte original choreography. She makes "du Guillem".<P>Only problem when you invite Guillem you have her own version of classical and not the true choréography.<P>For example in Romeo and Juliet, she made the room scene of McMillan version and not at all Nureyev 'one. She stay on her bed to think and to say just like that "Oh If go to church to see Brother Laurent, he will have a solution". In Nureyev version, she dances all this time, try to suicide and can't and with the dagger which felt and evocates a cross, she thinks to the Church.<P>But she has the french formation and is always considerated as etoile of POB. But she's more Royal Ballet principal. She only makes two or three performances by year with POB.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 6:16 am 

Wow, Cathy thanks. That makes things clearer for me!! So, a lot of people go to see her, and wouldn't go if she wasn't in a particular ballet? No wonder both companies share her!! I've only seen her on video...I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a more flexible human being. I was amazed. Oddly enough, I dont' have a clear picture of her other than that....artistically, I mean.

Profile E-mail