CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Magic of the Kirov Ballet - the tape
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:41 pm 

I just finished watching another of the tapes I recently bought "The Magic of the Kirov Ballet", 1988.<P>La Bayadere - 1977, Kingdom of the Shades. What a treat to see the glorious corps de ballet of the Kirov in this quintessential scene for the corps. It was interesting to note that the ramp was longer - actually zig-zagged - than I have seen it before. When the sequence of arabesques are finished some of the corps is still on the ramp. In the ABT version set by Makarova, if my memory has not deserted me, the corps is already off the ramp. But I could be wrong.<P>The choreography was a bit different than that set by Makarova for ABT. And, the music seemed a mite faster. <P>It was very upsetting, however, that the last few bars of music are heard, but the camera is on the curtain. Yes, we get to miss the last few measures of music. Ouch!<P>Don Quixote Grand Pas de Deux - 1986 - with Tatyana Terekhova and Farouk Ruzimatov, was really wonderful. One of the strongest I have seen. The costumes were unusual - beautiful - but unusual. All in white edged with black. Not the usual red.<P>The choreography was quite different in several sections. The choreography for the woman's variation with the fan is completely different - and no fan in sight at all. The side by side renversés were gone too. But I did like the dancers, though I missed that saucy fan.<P>Paquita - 1986 - with Olga Chenchikova and Marat Daukayev. Though this is the fifth Paquita in my tape collection, I did enjoy this. This ballet is also done as a graduation piece and can be seen on the tape of Childen of Theater Street (or was it Backstage of the Kirov?). <P>Also on the tape are:<P>Le Corsaire - 1986 - Grand Pas de Deux, - Tatyana Terekhova, Farouk Rusimatov. The French fouettés (others may call that by a different name) that Fonteyn did, are not done. <P>The Sleeping Beauty - 1976 - Vision Scene and Grand Pas de Deux Act III - Irina Kolpakova and Yuri Solovyov. I enjoyed seeing this lovely ballerina. The dancing does not look dated - maybe just a tad slower. <P>Raymonda - 1978 - Irina Gensler and Andrey Ostaltsov. This was the Spanish dance - and oh my! that backbend of hers!<P>Swan Lake - 1986 - Galina Mezentseva, Konstantin Zaklinsky. Both of them are marvelous in the Black Swan Pas de Deux. She was the prima who danced for the ballet students in Children of Theater Street, if I am not mistaken. <P>I really do like the costuming of the Russians. It seems to be endemic as I have admired the costuming of the Kirov, Bolshoi, Maly and Perm State Ballet. I think their ice skating costumes are excellent too.<P><BR> <P>

Post subject: Re: The Magic of the Kirov Ballet - the tape
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:51 pm 

Yes, the excerpts from Don Q Grand Pas and Paquita are particulary good. I remember reading that Chenchikova (who is, I think, married to Makhar Vaziev and who is anyway a principle repetiteur for the Mariinsky) was/is considered to be the definitive interpreter of Act III Paquita. Personally, I've always got a bit bored with the rest of Paquita; but Act III is classic Petipa. As for Don Q, for me that's the standard against which other Act IV Don Qs are measured against. Terekhova's steely legs and cunning little vixen interpretation, and Ruzimatov's astonishing suppleness and precision - finding beauty in even the smallest step that others pass by. It's worth getting the full length video of that same performance, not least for Asylmuratova as the Street Dancer and for Pankova as one of Kitri's friends as well as for more Terekhova and Ruzimatov. Ah, they don't make 'em like that any more!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:43 pm 

I just checked my files and I do have the complete Terekhova, Ruzimatov Don Q tape. And it is wonderful.<P>One of my all time favorites is Makarova and Bujones Don Q grand pas de deux. That's the standard which I usually have in my mind. <P>Here is a list of the Don Q's that I have:<P><BR>don quixote -schaufuss<BR>don quixote -pdd -tallchief,bruhn<BR>don quixote -pdd -panov,panova<BR>don quixote -excerpt -kitri -ananiashvili<BR>don quixote -pdd -herrera,curella<BR>don quixote -excerpt -kitri -sttruchkova<BR>don quixote -complete -aniashvili,fadeyetchev<BR>don quixote -excerpt -jaffee<BR>don quixote -excerpt -kitri -pllisetskaya<BR>don quixote -pas de deux -makarova, bujones<BR>don quixote -pas de deux -makarova, gudunov<BR>don quixote -complete -nureyev, helpmann, aldous<P>don quixote -complete -terekhova, ruzimatov<BR>don quixote -pdd -baryshnikov, kirkland<BR>don quixote -complete - baryshniko, harvey<BR>don quixote -pdd -bocca, yeager<BR>don quixote -excerpt - kitri -plisetskaya<P>Did you like the black and white costumes for Terkhova and Ruzimatov?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:05 pm 

Regarding Makarova's 'La Bayadere' Kingdom of the Shades, her Royal Ballet version uses 24 dancers as opposed to the 32 used in Nureyev's Paris Opera Ballet and the Russian productions. Some critics feel rather cheated by this, but it seems a practical solution for companies with under 100 dancers on the roster.<P>I suspect that this may be part of the reason for your experience of the dancers on the ramp Basheva.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited March 12, 2002).]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:29 am 

Good point, Stuart. Yes, in this tape with the Kirov there were 32 dancers on stage in the Kingdom of the Shades, while in Makarova's setting for ABT there were 24. I hadn't considered that. It was interesting that the choreography was a bit different too. I would have expected it to be the same since, of course, Makarova came from the Kirov.<P>However, I was not surprised that the music for her setting for ABT seemed just a bit slower, she did that quite a bit for her own dancing. Sometimes to the point of distortion to the intent of the composer. She speaks of her views on this in her autobiography.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:01 pm 

Black and white costumes for Act IV Don Q Kirov production? Yes, I think they're OK. Better, at any rate, than the overly stiff (and wide) tutu with a bodice half in black, half in scarlet, that Ananiashvili wears in various videos of her Japan tours. Flaps around (the tutu, not Miss Ananiashvili) like an umbrella catching the wind...And of course absolutely anything would be preferable to the tired, discoloured red/orange costumes that the Royal Ballet hired from the Australian Ballet.<BR>I always wished I'd seen Nadezheda Pavlova doing Don Q, based on a tiny exert from her doing Act IV from an old Video Arts tape of the Bolshoi I bought about 15 years ago. Just wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:23 pm 

The only thing that I have with Nadezda Pavlova is the complete Nutcracker, Bolshoi Ballet with Maximova and Vasiliev. 1977<P>If I remember correctly that is the performance in which Vasiliev gets injured on stage and can't complete the performance. It was taped live. So, there was a long intermission and Nadezda Pavlova and Gondachiev (I might have his name wrong) take over. They were not warmed up....just rushed into costume and out on stage.<P>At first everything goes along fine, but after a time you can see that the body was not warmed up correctly. Don't get me wrong, they did a wonderful job...but it could be seen that the body was beginning to react to not being fully warmed up.<P>I remember when Vasiliev was injured, he was supposed to come out for a variation and instead Maximova came out and circled the stage with piqué turns to finish out the music.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:30 pm 

ok - I think I just found his name....Vyacheslav Gordeyev. He is listed as her partner on page 148, in the book "The Bolshoi Ballet" notes and introduction by Walter Terry, Photos by Judy Cameron - 1975, Harper Row Publishers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:03 pm 

Gordeyev - think that's the one who does the Blue Bird with Lyudmilla Semenyaka as Princess Florine in Beauty on the video "Magic of the Bolshoi". Big nose/striking profile. Dancing very Bolshoi - ie athletic, confident.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:59 pm 

Nadezhda Pavlova and Vyacheslav Gordeev (her husband) perform the pas de deux of the 2nd act of "La Bayadere" on "Russian Ballet: The Glorious Tradition, Vol. 3." There are a lot of other good excerpts, including Plisetskays in Act 1 of "Don Quixote," the man's variation from Act 3 "Don Q" performed by Baryshnikov, Mukhamedov and Mikhail Lavrovsky, one after the other, excerpts from "Raymonda" with Irina Kolpakova and her husband, Vladilen Semyonov, and "Grand Pas Classique" with Gabriella Komleva (unlike Cynthia Gregory, she doesn't smoke a cigarette in the diagonal releve sequence!).<P>By the way, Semenyaka's partner in the Bluebird pas de deux on the "Magic of the Bolshoi" video is not Gordeev, but Alexander Vetrov, who also appears in the complete "La Bayadere" with Nadezhda Gracheva. "Magic of the Bolshoi" is an interesting video because it has excerpts from the 1983 Asaf Messerer gala. It shows two tiny excerpts of the dancers onstage being given a class by Messerer, then doing variations in practice clothes.<p>[This message has been edited by djb (edited March 31, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:22 am 

An impressive and enviable reference for don quixote!<BR>Would you share with us your impressions, as specific as you can, of the performances of:<BR>Terekhova, Ruzimatov. <BR>Makarova and Bujones. Don Q grand pas de deux. That's the standard which I usually have in my mind. <BR>don quixote -pdd -tallchief,bruhn.<P>I hope you’ll overcome your aversion to criticism in this instance, as it would be very helpful in choosing the tapes to build my own library<BR>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:42 am 

As you can imagine I can't off the top of my head give you an adequate response to comparing (if comparing is possible) the three Don Q's grand pas de deux you requested. <P>I will have to take the tapes out and re-look. So let me get back to you, when I have had a chance to do that. <P>Interesting that you think I have an aversion to criticism. I have only an aversion to unthoughtful or needlessly unkind criticism.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:46 am 

Here is what I said above of the Terekhova and Ruzimatov:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Don Quixote Grand Pas de Deux - 1986 - with Tatyana Terekhova and Farouk Ruzimatov, was really wonderful. One of the strongest I have seen. The costumes were unusual - beautiful - but unusual. All in white edged with black. Not the usual red.<P>The choreography was quite different in several sections. The choreography for the woman's variation with the fan is completely different - and no fan in sight at all. The side by side renversés were gone too. But I did like the dancers, though I missed that saucy fan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>and here is where the tape on Maria Tallchief is discussed:<P><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001267.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Maria Tallchief - Performances on the Bell Telephone Hour</B></A><P>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:06 am 

I should add...in case you are interested, since you mentioned building a tape library. I have a fairly large collection - as well as an old one. So if you have a particular tape in mind please feel free to ask me about it. If my opinions are of help, I will be glad to share them. Assuming I have the tape in question, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:27 am 

"If my opinions are of help, I will be glad to share them"<BR>Thank you, they are. -- <BR>1) Do know of The Dance Dictionary, 4 tapes issued by Kultur, possibly of Soviet era, not in their present catalog.<BR>2) the quality of the recording as well as of dancing of Plisetskaya in Anna Karenina (1974), The Litttle Humbacked Horse (1961),Swan Lake (1957, Plisetskaya Dances (?), The Magic of Bolshoi Ballet (?). Limited budget so I have to choose.<P>As to critics, the overriding qualification is the love of the subject not the promotion of self. The few good ones sharpen our understanding and provide a historical perspective. From a purely subjective perspective we can't communicate about dance, only perform. Sufficient for the dancer but erecting an insurmountable barrier to the audience. Even dancers look at photographs of other dancers and that is a record, a kind of criticism.