public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marcia Haydee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:06 pm 
I enclose the link to my interview with Marcia Haydee in this month's Ballet.co magazine.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_01/apr01/interview_marcia_haydee.htm#haydee" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_01/<BR>apr01/interview_marcia_haydee.htm#haydee</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 08, 2001).]

Post subject: Re: Marcia Haydee
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 3:19 am 

Many thanks Kevin, the interview makes a good read. It's interesting that she has moved on so far from her Stuttgart days. I know Clement Crisp adores the memory of her dancing.<P>Her point about the crucial difference that working with a great choreographer makes. Those who worked with Balanchine, Ashton, MacMillan and others enjoyed a great privilige. Deborah Bull is on record as to how important it was for her to work with Forsythe. <P>I saw a screening at the NFT of Sir Peter Wright's BBC film of 'Las Hermanas' (referred to by Marcia as "The House of Bernada Alba", the original Lorca title). This had a mix of Royal Ballet and Stuttgart dancers including Haydee, a scary Monica Mason as the jealous sister and Georgina Parkinson as the young sister. My memory is that Haydee looked splendid both from a dancing and a dramatic viewpoint in this very powerful production to the exquisite Frank Martin harpsichord concerto. Let's hope that the Royal do it again soon. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 05, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 4:57 am 

Kevin - what a lovely interview!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 5:43 am 
Thanks, Shazna and Stuart. Stuart, I am glad that you pointed out that the correct name of the MacMillan ballet is "Las Hermanas". You mentioned it's a film by Peter Wright. That's interesting, I didn't realise he's also been a dance film producer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 6:13 am 

Very, very nice interview Kevin - I enjoy reading it very much. She comes across as a very well grounded person, very down to earth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 6:13 am 

KEVIN----what a GREAT interview. From the time I saw Haydee in "Eugene Onegin" at the Met in NYC, I always thought she was a great dramatic ballerina. From the minute the curtain opened and she was kneeling on the floor (I think she was looking at flower or some prop--isn't it weird how these images can stay with you even after almost 30 years--wow), she really captured your attention and imagination.<BR>Your interview really updates us, and lets us know the person behind the star, so to speak. She seems very honest, down to earth person. She mentions her husband...is he a dancer, former dancer?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 6:14 am 

Yes Kevin, Sir Peter Wright had some training from the BBC and made a few films for them. Apart from 'Las Hermanas' he made a 60s version of 'The Green Table' by Kurt Jooss danced by the Folkwangschule and a short film of a light piece of his own choreography with Christopher Gable and Georgina Parkinson.<P>I only know this as he presented the screening of these films at the NFT in his own charming and modest way - he apologised to the audience for the choreography in the Gable/Parkinson piece. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 05, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:39 am 
Trina, I remember that Marcia Haydee didn't answer my question as to the identity of her husband. I doubt if he's a well known dance person, because otherwise the wedding would have been publicised in the dance magazines.<P>Yes, Basheva, she's certainly a very down-to-earth person.<P>Overall I feel happy for Haydee that she's now found fulfilment in modern dance, and doesn't need to look back with nostalgia at her own glorious past like some ballet stars.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 6:54 pm 

Kevin --<BR>The interview was wonderful. It was so nice to read an interview about a retired dancer. Nowadays, I wish we could do that more often. (Do you think we can get an interview with Makarova someday? Image ) I really wished I could see Marcia dance...simply by seeing how she executed her arabesques in the movie (which she performed for only about a minute), "The Turning Point," I knew that she was a GREAT dancer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2001 5:46 am 
Terry, I'd like to interview Makarova, if only I know how to contact her! I think she's based in California. By the way, you have a sharp eye for spotting a dancer's greatness.<P>Actually the Stuttgart Ballet will tour Hong Kong next month with Cranko's "Taming of the Shrew". Did you see the Stuttgart company when they toured New York?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2001 9:56 am 

Thank you Kevin. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the Stuttgart Ballet yet, but I would love to. I did see "Taming of the Shrew" with ABT last summer, and I thought the choreography was excellent. Cranko's ballets are really beautiful. I've also heard some excellent reviews about Kan Suh Jing, the Korean principal at Stuttgart, especially about her great dramatic ability. <BR>Please let us know how the performances turn out!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2001 12:03 pm 

I was fortunate to have seen "Taming of the Shrew" - and I have the complete tape with Marcia Haydee and Richard Cragun.<P>It was a wonderful partnership and Cranko's choreography is wonderful. He died much too young.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2001 5:18 pm 
Basheva, how lucky you are to have seen Marcia Haydee as Kate in "Shrew". <BR>Do you know, by the way, if Natalia Makarova still lives in California?<P>Terry, I think that Korean principal is in the first cast of "Shrew" in Hong Kong.