public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MosFilm TV project "Bolshoi Ballet" - to air this September
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am 

In a video clip from Program IV I've just taken notice of Kristina Andreeva (Tatar Theater of Opera and Ballet. Jalil), who, from memory of the first program, I thought was Anna Tikhomirova (Bolshoi). Both have very beautiful, statuesque linearity. This quality was probably first engraved in my mind by remarkable Ekaterina Kondaurova Swan Lake performances, later to be reinforced by Alina Somova and recently Olga Smirnova.

In these programs I'll admit to focussing on works that I like and the women more than the men with the possibility of not giving the performers equally deserved attention. Viewing for a second time Anna Tikhomirova's and Artem Ovcharenko's (Bolshoi) Program I Romeo & Juliet it was heart touching once again to see Diana Vishneva, in her judge's chair, rapturously living this as if she was Juliet. The judges, by the way, have changed slightly in the third and forth programs.

It's nice to see two theaters represented that I've never heard of before, the Tatar Theater of Opera and Ballet Jalil and the Yekaterinburg Opera and Ballet. I also like the way that the stage settings have been done. It's a 'high gloss' television stage presentation, but with a very nice sense of quality. I think that if you're going to exhibit refined art in somewhat of a pop culture context, this is a fine model.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:29 pm 

In continued viewing Kristina Andreeva (Tatar Theater of Opera and Ballet. Jalil) in Don Quixote, Program II, also shows that she is quite a firecracker. Her spins are as fast as light and she does her first fouette spins, double, single with leg horizontally out (I've not seen this combination before), normal single. High virtuosity is also becoming more apparent in Anna Tikhomirova (Bolshoi). This is not to be unexpected, I guess, in a program called "Bolshoi Ballet". I'll have to watch some of the other dancers more carefully.

In contrast is Kristina Shapran (Stanislavsky, Moscow, but Vagnova graduate) with her lovely delicacy and touching understatement.

I would love to have seen Oxana Skorik here. She has all bases covered, except maybe the physical virtuosity for the moment. Her amazing 'virtuosity' comes from her physical and mental Expression, but I would call it Mariinsky. It has a certain refinement and heavenly aura. I would consider her to be the Mariinsky's 'equivalent' to Olga Smirnova (also Vaganova trained) and have to wonder once again what kind of different 'miracles' Olga Smirnova might be performing if the Mariinsky had encouraged her in the same way that the Bolshoi fortunately is doing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm 

Have to add something else.

I've been more enchanted each time by Olga Smirnova and Vladislav Lantratov's (Bolshoi) third program "Melody" by Maya Plisetskaya's famous uncle, the Bolshoi teacher, Asaf Messerer. This is probably the best example I've found so far to illustrate Diana Vishneva's statement....

Olga Smirnova

'the young ballerina managed to reconcile the eternal debate between the Moscow and Vaganova schools, taking the best from them both'.

(as posted by Catherine).

For me, here she shows a wonderful depth of Expression and *Substance*, which you might call Bolshoi or Moscow, along with a captivating Grace, that you might call Mariinsky or Vaganova.

"Melody" -- what a beautiful Tribute to both Asaf Messerer and Olga Smirnova.

("Tribute" -- She's Only Twenty Years Old ! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8BDOL-PBc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:48 am 

Olga Smirnova

Trying to describe her at this point in time is like trying to hold quicksilver. It slips through your fingers. It's here and it's gone. Olga Smirnova doesn't stay the same for an instant. I'd love to hear Diana Vishneva's comments on this fifth performance, the Act I, first duet of Nikiya and Solar from La Bayadere. She (Diana Vishneva) has such a knowing look on her face.

I then watched an internet video clip from six months ago of Olga Smirnova doing Nikiya's dance that preceded this one. The difference is almost astounding.

In the old video clip she is much softer and flowing. Her character is knowing. Her lines are elegant. She is younger.

This performance is much more animated and developed. She is highly expressive and gazelle-like. Her elegant lines are just as beautiful, but more dramatic and highlighted, as is her motion. To me, she comes closer to what I saw Oxana Skorik (Mariinsky) do about a month ago. The parallels are beautiful.

One of her amazing qualities, that I referred to in an earlier post, is her ability to reach out with a gesture or pose and then before you can focus on it, she has altered it, reined it in completely, making a compelling summary statement.

That's Olga Smirnova today. Tomorrow ? She'll be fascinating at least -- I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:15 pm 

Last Sunday night (Night 7), in a departure from the regular 'contest', which is also a beautiful series of performances, seemed to be essentially a guest star evening. This featured Diana Vishneva, Ulyana Lopatkina, Viktoria Tereshkina, Evgenia Obraztsova, Ekaterina Krysanova and Ekaterina Shipulina, among others.

From a very quick viewing of segments, I like Ekaterina Krysanova (Bolshoi) very much in a solo from Mauro Bigonzetti's "Cinque". The evening seemed to lean towards 'modernish' works and I was reminded once again of a New York City dancer who told me that it took her about a half year to adjust to modern from ballet. One also has to hope that these more modern works can fully capture the grace and refined wonder that these dancers possess. Ekaterina Krysanova seemed quite comfortable and beautifully expressive. I immediately recalled, what I considered a very successful Bolshoi ballerina effort in these waters, "Reflections". In fact this is the solo that I believe Ekaterina Krysanova performed in that collection of modern works.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:25 pm 

It would appear that a week ago Sunday was actually the last program. It combined performances by the 'contestants' as well as by the guest stars previously mentioned. There were awards at the end.

Winners

Olga Smirnova
Sergei Polunin

There is an internet video of the entire 2 1/2 hours. I won't post it here because there have been some copyright issues raised and most of the other programs can not be seen in their entirety for this reason. Somehow this final program can be seen, but I'm sure for how long.

Olga Smirnova (1:48:00 into the program) performs George Balanchine's "Diamonds". I'll try to watch it again as soon as possible along with an earlier Bolshoi performance. As I've said before, the way that she can change her perfomance of the same work in a brief period of time is almost astounding. She is already a remarkably-beautifully fascinating *Star* and she has just begun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 pm 

Additional Awards

Kristina Shapran (Stanislavsky, Vaganova graduate) was voted best by the viewers. (Very interesting).

Best Couple -- two winners

Anna Tikhomirova, Artem Ovcharenko (Bolshoi)

Xenia Barbasheva and Alexander Taranov (Perm)

(thanks to Dansomanie for posting this)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 pm 

[Removed due to violation of the courtesy policy]

The moderators suggest that new posters review the courtesy policy (top right). We welcome all views on dance, but will not tolerate content that is in violation of the courtesy policy. Healthy debate and discourse is encouraged, but outright attacks and inflammatory language are not.

From our courtesy policy:

"negative reviews have their place, but if you comment on a dance you didn't care for, it is helpful to say exactly what you disliked about it, and why... while passion is fine in a positive sense it needs to be treated with care when applied to negative criticism. In addition, moderate language and a constructive attitude will enhance your credibility. Mark Morris has said that he would rather read constructive criticism than bland appreciation."

Profile E-mail